i've never been this disappointed

2»

Comments

• -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited July 2001
    Well you could probably "meet" her tonight when she comes down, but I'll assume that you won't be staying up past 9:30 tonight. Besides, isn't it BINGO night?

~JB
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited July 2001
    No, Coolie, it's movie night.

Tonight: "Time Bandits." Too bad I don't have the Criterion DVD, I just have the lame, non-anamorphic, 2-channel sound orginal DVD printing. Still, it's DVD.

Amber will just have to wait -- save herself -- for me.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2001
    Micah and Justin in Celebrity Death Match......

Micah,
    As **** stars go, how does Amber rate?

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • -justin-
    edited July 2001
    If he only knew.

~Justin
  • Micah Cohen
    edited July 2001
    :mad:
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• DonP
    DonP Posts: 11
    edited July 2001
    Hi Ginsnap, welcome. I'm new here also but I do have an opinion. Try: Perfect Storm
    Patriot
    High Fidelity
    Zorro
    Short list but good.
    Don
  • jeffeb3
    jeffeb3 Posts: 106
    edited July 2001
    i don't know, DonP looks a lot like RonP. I may get y'all confused. I'm not sure if this is acceptable...Judges?

BTW I know a few evil Ambers. watch out!!
  • ginsnap
    ginsnap Posts: 8
    edited July 2001
    Thank you all for your movie suggestions and welcomes. Are there any good movies that aren't action movies that have good sound? Anything that your girlfriends, wives, or moms like? Romantic comedies, musicals....you see where I'm going with this.

My receiver is Onkyo TX-DS595; speakers are PA 6600; sub is PA 250; DVD is a JVC XV-S65GD; learning remote is a Nightmare!

And yes, my name is Ginger. Nice to meet ya'll.
  • TroyD
    edited July 2001
    Wendi and I really enjoyed the Thomas Crown Affair. I think a good movie is a good movie, sound just makes it better. Kind of corny but Wendi really enjoyed What Women Want

Troy
  • ginsnap
    edited July 2001
    Thanks Troy.

I'd been wondering about "What Women Want". Do you know if there are any older movies where the sound has been re-engineered for 5.1?

The last movie I saw on the big screen was Titanic. I just sort of dropped out of going to movies in the last 10-15 years. I objected to the prices and don't care to put up with cell phones in a theater.

Ginger
  • -justin-
    edited July 2001
    Originally posted by ginsnap

I'd been wondering about "What Women Want".

Me too....meeeee toooooo :mad:

~JB
  • ginsnap
    edited July 2001
  • TroyD
    edited July 2001
    honesty, a sense of humor and thoughtfulness......

Ginger,
    I know that lot of older movies have been put out on DVD, as far as the sound format, not sure. Classics are classics regardless of the sound format.

Troy
  • ginsnap
    edited July 2001
    True. I may have to rent "Gone With The Wind" on DVD.

I'm also VERY interested in SARC and DVD Audio.

Tanks,

Ginger
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited July 2001
    Why don't you just rent "South Pacific" and get it over with? Ezio Pinza is THE MAN on "Some Enchanted Evening". Incredible power song.

Then you can gradually work you're way up to those classic Hollywood "womans" movies that the guys recommended. The Matrix, Predator, Terminator XII et al.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • ginsnap
    edited July 2001
    Dear George,

You're right! I love South Pacific and it's a little easier to stomach than My Fair Lady. I actually have the original LP's to both.

Ginger
  • George Grand
    edited July 2001
    My dearest Ginger, Of COURSE you love "South Pacific!" Think I'm just another pretty face? Well I'm MUCH more than that. I will admit, it's like a damn curse though.

Troy's a wifebeater. Been there, seen the bruises. Don't be taken in.

your old pal,
  • TroyD
    edited July 2001
    you are a PAL.....

I of course have nothing but high praise for George. He would never steer you wrong.

I say rent Casablanca or North By Northwest and Charade. In that order. Not musicals but good movies.

Joey Buttafuco
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited July 2001
    Admit it; every chick like's Die Hard. It's a Bruce Willis classic. I mean, when was the last time you met a girl that didn't like lots guns, explosions, and killing?

Aaron "the chick magnet"
  • ginsnap
    edited July 2001
    Went to the movie store; didn't see South Pacific on DVD. Actually, the place only has one wall of DVD's.

Howsomever, I purchased Charade about a year ago to watch on my computer DVD. It was grande. Now, it's going to be seen again on the "big" screen. Didn't get a new TV, gotta watch the ole RCA ColorTrac <bummer>

Casablanca and North by Northwest are primo!

And doesn't Sears make the DieHard. They're good batteries.

Ginger
  • TroyD
    edited August 2001
    ...and found Key Largo, Maltese Falcon and a bunch of Hitchcock movies, Rear Window and Vertigo being my faves.....none of the local rental places have them so (at least in Charleston) unless you buy them you are pretty much SOL but the good ones ARE out there. The ones I saw, pretty sure all had DD 5.1.

Troy
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2001
    ....Maybe I should go under an assumed 'female' name, and I would get a little more response from you guys....

I do sometimes like to put on my wife's T-Backs and mow the back yard at night...

Did I say that outloud?

Cheers,
    Russalina
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Micah Cohen
    edited August 2001
    The Bogart films are not in 5.1, they are in mono (also, remember, they're not widescreen films), but the prints used on the DVDs are glorious, rich and detailed. You can not see them in any better form. The discs also have some good extras on them, as I recall.

"Suppose you tell me about it from the very beginning..."

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• TroyD
    edited August 2001
    Old movies, I can converse on.
    ****, I can't. That would be Micah's department......

On the old movies I could really care less about the sound format to be honest, so I don't even really look. Casablanca I am PRETTY sure has been released in 5.1 thoug.

Russ,
    duuude, that should be something that you should feel free to take to your grave in silence. Besides, I am waiting to see what happens at 150.

Troy
  • Micah Cohen
    edited August 2001
    No "Casablanca" in 5.1. Mono only.

Doesn't stop it from being one of the greatest films ever made, tho.

"I'm not interested in politics. The problems of the world are not in my department."

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• ginsnap
    edited August 2001
    When I purchased Charade, I only paid something like $4.99 for it so I'll check into pricing on those oldies but goodies.

Does cable TV or digital cable ever broadcast in 5.1? Here in Nashville, Comcast is touting digital cable but I haven't seen it myself yet. Ya'll forgive me but I haven't watched much TV in years either. I'm very involved with computers. In fact, I run a SeniorNet Learning Center. We're all volunteers teaching seniors how to use computers.

Russ, you need to go stand in the corner.

Ginger
  • George Grand
    edited August 2001
    My gut tells me you're not going to be alone in the corner for long. Gonna have to find a mid point between where you are, and teachers pet like you know who. But till then, it's the corner for you.

• TroyD
    edited August 2001
    ...and no writing on the walls young man!

The oldies you can get at wal-mart from anywhere from 15-25 dollars depending.

dunno about digital cable. I believe some of the pay per view movies are. at least on Satellite they are.

Troy
  • TroyD
    edited August 2001
    ....roll on, South Pacific - boy.......

The Wifebeater