SDA SRS Help

I was given a pair of SDA SRS speakers today, that I sold to the people who gave them to me,back in the late 80's when I worked for a Polk dealer. The left one is ser # L SDA-SRS 3075 the right is SDA SR3 3590. All the 6.5 drivers have dried and torn surrounds. Why are the numbers different in the way they are. Is one a newer model, possibly a warranty exchange? Are the 6.5 drivers still available or is there an equivalent driver from another company?

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    What drivers do you have in the speakers? Surrounds on those usually do not dry out and crack.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Vintage Polk speakers never had consecutive serial numbers.

Highly unusual for the drivers to have that type of damage. Do you know if they were in direct sun or had chemicals such as Armor-All applied to them?

The warranty ran out over 30 years ago.

You will need 16 MW6503 drivers. Polk no longer sells replacements. Midwest sells a one size fits all type Polk driver replacement. Other than that, check eBay.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• they are MW 6503 dated 1986 All but about three have surrounds that are dry and disintegrating.
  • F1nut wrote: »
    Vintage Polk speakers never had consecutive serial numbers.

Highly unusual for the drivers to have that type of damage. Do you know if they were in direct sun or had chemicals such as Armor-All applied to them?

The warranty ran out over 30 years ago.

You will need 16 MW6503 drivers. Polk no longer sells replacements. Midwest sells a one size fits all type Polk driver replacement. Other than that, check eBay.

Is it worth doing the kits that replace the surrounds? Also are the serial numbers I list right as far as one starting SDA SRS and the other starting SDA SR3
  • F1nut
    I'm not aware of any kits.

Sorry, I missed the SR3. Had to be a mistype as there never was a model with that designation.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Fits Models
    Polk Audio: LS50 and many more!

President of Club Polk

• Those were poly woofers weren't they, not doped paper?
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • F1nut
    Those were poly woofers weren't they, not doped paper?

Yep, poly.

President of Club Polk