Monitor 11 crossover used for monitor 10

Options
Hello,
Hoping this post goes better than my first. I see the monitor 11 was a much better speaker than the 10s. My question is...if a crossover from the 11 is used in the monitor 10 along with the MW-6502'S would one get a better sound than the factory 10 sound?
Thank you for any comments,

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    The difference between the models isn't just the crossover and drivers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• theebisonman
    Options
    Thanks for the response. I know nothing is the same.... size, speakers and radiators all different. Just curious if would there be a sound improvement using different drivers which were compatible with the monitor 11 crossover and of course the monitor 11 crossover? I am sure this question shows just how little I know about everything involved. Any input is most welcome. I'm getting ready to have sonic craft rework my crossovers in two pairs of tens and saw they had a flaw in the design. I found a couple 11crossovers with the radiators just wasn't sure.Thanks again.
  • F1nut
    Options
    You hit the nail on the head, everything is different, which is why swapping the components will not obtain a good result.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• theebisonman
    Options
    Got it. Thanks
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,264
    edited November 2020
    Options
    If you want to make your monitor 10s sound better, use the crossovers and other parts out of a SDA CRS+.
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • stereo55
    stereo55 Posts: 418
    Options
    TennMan wrote: »
    If you want to make your monitor 10s sound better, use the crossovers and other parts out of a SDA CRS+.
    I did that same basic idea to one of my sets of 10a's . Sound wonderful .

SDA-2B's ~ Pair SDA-CRS's ~ ,*** Main listening: Maggies MG1 ~ Polk SDA 2B's ~ Monitor 10's , 3-pairs (2 pairs moded into SDA's w/SDA-2B/CRS cross-overs) , * DCM TF600's * Mission M71/M72 *** Main brdrm FRT: RTiA-5's /Presence RTi-4 / LSI-704 Cntr / Rear FXI3's ~~~ Assorted Main listening rm : , 2- Heathkit W-5M /tube mono blocks (Parasound P/HP-850)* * 2- Altec Lansing 1590b's/mono blocks (Yamaha C-45) * CM Labs 35D * Dynaco ST-70 ~ Occasionally ~* Yamaha CR-820/A-760 ,* Sansui AU-317/AU-217 * Carver 900 rec *2-Dynaco ST 120* 1 Hafler DH-220* Marantz 1040 ... more
  • theebisonman
    Options
    I like the sound of that! Basically I know nothing more than your average person when it comes to crossovers and how they work. I understand the volume of the box in relation to every component is critical. I find it all overwhelming, as I barely have time to do routine things these days. I wish I could find time to learn more, which is one reason I am here other than my fondness for vintage stereo equipment. I really appreciate the ideas and I hope to find parts to make my 10bs sound better. Polk sold me replacement tweeters and drivers for one pair about 15-16 years ago with the membership discount. They haven't been used much since, as I had some life changing obstacles right after this time and had put all of my stereo stuff in storage. Last year I started digging it out. Some things were broken or damaged. I hope to get it all in good shape little by little.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,704
    Options
    stereo55 wrote: »
    I did that same basic idea to one of my sets of 10a's . Sound wonderful .

Looks like we have another closet modder in our midst.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I aint about lying. I did it and if the 10 monitor cabinets were better I would still be listening to them. Hope I find a set of better cabinets to put it all in as well as the other SDA 2B mods. I would not take a good set, intact and do that with it though. All I had around were stock SL 2000's and they still sounded pretty good. Not for the feint of heart and bragging about it could get me booted though..Right F1 ?

• F1nut
    Options
    Right....lol

President of Club Polk

• TennMan
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I was new here and didn't know doing stuff like that was blasphemy when I did the CRS+10Bs. I caught a lot of hell and had a lot of people telling me it wouldn't work. I did it anyway and I liked it. Apparently other people have been doing it too but were afraid to come out of the closet to let others know. LOL
    Post edited by TennMan on
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
  • theebisonman
    Options
    Going to have to go incognito it looks like. Might try the user name sheebisonman when crossing the line with the crossover switch. LOL
  • xschop
    Options
    What are the two MWs in your 10s vs. what is in the 11s?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    I knew a guy in high school who stuffed a Ford 289 V8 into a Ford Cortina.
    Just because one can do something doesn't mean that one should.
  • xschop
    Options
    I knew a guy that adapted Vette engines to Porsches and made a small business out of it, just because someone told him it couldn't be done.
  • theebisonman
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    What are the two MWs in your 10s vs. what is in the 11s?

I have a replacement set of drivers in one pair of tens, these came from polk years ago but have not been used more than 40 hours. One set of tens I have never cracked open and appears to be untouched. I have had them about 20 years. I don't have any 11s. Been waiting on a shipping quote from a guy with two crossovers and two passive radiators. I figured if I land the deal I may get my hands on cabinet measurements one day and do a homemade set of boxes?

Back to the tens....I need to lock tight the magnets on all the drivers, been holding off as my hurricane nut supply is running low and was hoping to do both together. Maybe this weekend I can find time to take a look as I am curious too! I will need help in selecting the correct drivers. I didn't see the type of driver/drivers listed on the schematics?
    Thanks
  • TennMan
    Options
    I had an Austin-Healey 3000 with a 302 Chevy Camaro engine. Good or bad I guess that tells you a lot about me. haha
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,188
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I don't have any 11s. Been waiting on a shipping quote from a guy with two crossovers and two passive radiators. I figured if I land the deal I may get my hands on cabinet measurements one day and do a homemade set of boxes?

If you do that you will also need 4 MW6600 drivers and I have a feeling they aren't too common. You will also need 2 Peerless Tweeters.

https://polksda.com/pdfs/Model11Manual.pdf

George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • theebisonman
    Options
    Thanks for the info on the drivers. I have two pairs of peerless tweeters one pair is new old stock still in the original packaging. I haven't seen many of the MW-6600 if any but I will be keeping a eye out. I am in no hurry. Were these used only in the Monitor 11s?
  • theebisonman
    Options
    I had an Austin-Healey 3000 with a 302 Chevy Camaro engine. Good or bad I guess that tells you a lot about me. haha

Where did you sit? LOL
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,188
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Thanks for the info on the drivers. I have two pairs of peerless tweeters one pair is new old stock still in the original packaging. I haven't seen many of the MW-6600 if any but I will be keeping a eye out. I am in no hurry. Were these used only in the Monitor 11s?

That manual also gives the major dimensions of the enclosure. I don't honestly know what other models they may have been in. It doesn't *appear* that they were in any SDA models, or at least Table 2.6 SDA Series Replacement Parts in the Polk SDA History Manual does not show them in any SDA models, but they may have been replacements for one of the original equipment drivers specified there.

There are 3 of them (MW6600X actually) for sale on eBay. I don't know if that is the same as MW6600. (no X) https://www.ebay.com/itm/POLK-MW6600X-6-5-WOOFER-MONITOR-SDA-RTA-MODELS/324344060164?hash=item4b84699904:g:K-MAAOSw92hfkUgL

PS: I knew we had talked about this before. Looks like they may be interchangeable with MW6501's and may have been in RTA 12B and SDA 1 and probably others. https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2613644#Comment_2613644
    Post edited by Gardenstater on
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • theebisonman
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all of that. Very kind of you. Looks like mid west has only one replacement which they say is compatible but not identical. I would try only as a last resort. I think it was designed more for the SDA but what do I know other than I need to chill on buying used speaker parts as my next 7 rebuild is in the works and I got the bill from Sonic Craft today. I was stunned but excited to see how it performs.