Sub and amp choice

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited June 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Grr... just posted a thread but the name was already in use so I just lost all I typed :( oh well.

Starting over again, I need a sub and amp. Since I work at circuit shi...-city, I can get good discounts and infinity and polk stuff. With that in mind I set out to find a good sub and amp for my polk system I got from a recomendation here (it works supurb! very happy)

Right now I'm thinking for the sub to get either the infinity KAPPA PERFECT10.1D, or the polk MM104. Both look really good and both are about the same price after discount.

http://www.polkaudio.com/car/product.php?name=mm104

www.infinitysystems.com/ caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='KAPPA+PERFECT10.1D'&Ser=KPE&Cat=SUB

Now for the amp I was thinking that the cheapest way to do this would be to get a two channel amp and bridge it. Compared to a mono amp, what would the differences be? Sound quality? Power consumption?

Anyways, here are two choices:

http://www.polkaudio.com/car/specs.php?name=c300_2

and

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&u=c&qp=0&bookmark=bookmark_0&oid=92939&catoid=-8865&m=0

This forums recomendations have set me right before, again I hope? Heheh, what else would I need in addition to the sub and amp? box and cables and whatnot.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2004
    As far as the subs go, you will not go wrong with either of them. They are both excellent, however I lean toward the Polk because I dig their entire line where Im not a big fan of Infinitys speakers. Their subs are great tho.

As far as amps go Circuit City is turning into a lousy place to buy car audio gear. Theyve dumped the high end Alpine V12's and the MTX Thunders for Verge, ESA, and MTX's cheap line. WTF?:mad:

Anyhoo, between a mono or stereo amp, I prefer a mono. A Class D amp will not sound any different from an AB amp. The differences will be:
    1) the class D will be a good bit smaller and easier to install.
    2) the class D will generally put off less heat and will be better suited to heavier loads for extended time.

That is all a waste though as Polk doesnt make a DVC sub which means you cant really use a Class D amp so youre kind of stuck with the stereo.

This isnt a bad thing however, and since youre willing to spend $400 on a Polk amp you can get a really nice one for that price.

My first choice would be this MTX Thunder502. It easily puts out over 500 rms cleanly and is built like a tank!
    My second choice would be this Rockford Fosgate Punch 5002. It also will handle 500 rms but is probably a notch or two behind the MTX in build quality.
    If you want to step up to the higher end you can go with one of these Precision Power PCX 2125. These are top end amps and since theyve been discontinued they can be had for a song!

Those arent all the possibilities but are some of my favorites for the budget and power requirements.

Oh, and Id probably steer clear of the Infinity amp. They dont make that good of speakers and now theyre trying to make amps? :confused:
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod

Oh, and Id probably steer clear of the Infinity amp. They dont make that good of speakers and now theyre trying to make amps? :confused:
    a lot of people said that about Polk too
    but anyway, id grab the Polk amp in a heartbeat
    ive accused them of being overpriced, but ive since changed my opinion since i actually got to play with one the other day...pretty damn nice amps
    why not just get the mm12?
    bigger is always better:D
    and it comes in a nice enclosure as well...unless space is an issue
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    a lot of people said that about Polk too
    -Cody

Yeah but Polk had speaker making down pretty good. I was just thinking that Infinity should try to master speaker making a little better before diverting their attention to amps! Polk already made some of the best speakers on the market before they ventured into the amp world whereas Inifintys top dawg, the Kappa Perfect at $500+, takes an asswhoopin from the mighty MM6 at almost half the price!
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited June 2004
    Hey man, see if you can get the v12 alpines on accomidation, should be a good price from them, also if you do decide to go with MTX (which i wouldn't cause they're dirty) get those through acc too, i remember them being dirt friggin cheap when i worked there. but yeah, def go with polk speaks, get two if you can so you can bridge and get the most out of your amp...

that's my 2 cents....
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • Systems
    edited June 2004
    Hmm, so defently it seems like I want to get that polk c300.2 amp, I guess its power would be pretty good bridged, and since I have a rather spacioius trunk and I don't run anyhing all that loud for to long, I should be good on heat and space concerns.

I don't think I would want to get any other amp (besides infinity, but I guess they arn't so good) cause of at a special polk site for circuit city people we get 65% off.

That one infinity kappa sub is about 75 dollars at the special site (I feel extremly lucky to have those accomodations!) and the polk one is 65% off of the retail price.. So a momo 12 incher would that get enough power from that amp? And which would sound better for sound quality, 12 or 10?

So far narrowed down to two choices! yay.

And those come with boxes too... that would be convenient :) . just cables left and those are normally dirt cheap at manufacturer's price.
    cool.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • strossos
    strossos Posts: 14
    edited June 2004
    Sorry to respond to my own post, but after doing some even more looking :eek: I saw that this polk amp right here is rated at 550 watts x 1 at 4 Ohms, I was wondering if this was peak or RMS, it doesn't really seem to say for sure but I'm thinking its rms. Looking at the 10 inch momo I see that the momo is only rated for rms of 500, I guess that really won't be much of a deal though.

I was looking at this infinity kappa subinfinity kappa sub and it says it only has 350 watts rms, but about 400watts more peak power than the polk! Arrghh...
    basdfwa
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    550watts rms would power a mm10 well, turn the gains down a lil though
    -Cody
  • mbdyer12
    mbdyer12 Posts: 220
    edited June 2004
    You'll never reach the Infinity's peak power without severely going over its RMS wattage rating. Peak numbers really dont mean much. I'm gunna say that the Infinity and Polk are gunna sound just as good as each other. The only differences are that the Momo would handle 150watts RMS more but the Kappa Perfect has more wiring options, being dual voice coil and all.
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • Systems
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by mbdyer12
    You'll never reach the Infinity's peak power without severely going over its RMS wattage rating. Peak numbers really dont mean much. I'm gunna say that the Infinity and Polk are gunna sound just as good as each other. The only differences are that the Momo would handle 150watts RMS more but the Kappa Perfect has more wiring options, being dual voice coil and all.

Wow, reading your profile you seem to have almost the exact things I have. hehh

So if I get the polk 10 inch, I wont *really* have to worry about over powering it, but with the infinity I would, and those both have about the same sql?

So I think it will be polk-polk for amp and sub, all speakers polk! heh...

And about the box.. does it come with one? I looked but couldn't find any info about it, also what else will I need?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    some come with boxes, some dont, the mm12 is in a box
    youll also need a wiring kit
    -Cody
  • mbdyer12
    mbdyer12 Posts: 220
    edited June 2004
    If you could afford it, I'd say go with the MM104(or 124) with the C300.2. My Kappa Perfect was great for my truck and the car before that (open hatchback), but its not cutting it right now in my car. Its weak... I'm a bit dissapointed. Maybe I did somethin wrong... <sniffs>
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited June 2004
    doesnt the 300.2 do 550 bridged? if so, go with the 12 if at all possible... louder, deeper, and way less likely to blow up on that amp. if you dont wanna build a box, get the mm12, if you do, the mm124 (the mm12 is just a mm124 in a neato box)
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • strossos
    strossos Posts: 14
    edited June 2004
    Hmm, well neither mm12 or mm10 is on the accommodations page for purchase, but I sent an email about it, so who knows.

I think I would get the 10 inch, I imagine it won't hit as hard as the 12, but its cheaper, and won't it give better bass of higher frequencies?
    basdfwa
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    no, it will be more 'punchy' than 'boomy', some people like punchy, i like boomy, but the 10" will not be able to get the lower frequencies on the spectrum like the 12" will
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    Well it depends. A 10 will hit the low stuff just like the 12 can the main difference will be the 12 will hit them a little easier and play them a bit louder.

However it mainly depends on your application. Mainly space constraints. I love my Ram Quad Cab but because of its severe space limitations and the room I want to keep, I am doomed to a 8 incher cause I cant build anything bigger than a .35 ft3 box and I dont want to pay some shop a couple hundred bucks for a custom built fiberglass one!

• neomagus00
    edited June 2004
    so do it yourself!

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    so do it yourself!

Ummm, well for the same reason I dont build my own amps......I dont know how! Plus Im a terrible craftsman. :rolleyes:

• neomagus00
    edited June 2004
    ah, it can't be that hard... you can build your own box, right? i'd think that it's only a small step to fiberglas (one or two s's?) from that. there's a thread in the fabrication section about it.

and hey, i'm a terrible athlete, but i do it anyway! yeah, i get my **** handed to me in pretty much any sport i try, but i try, dammit!

• exalted512
    edited June 2004
    if you were really dedicated, youd just take out the rear seat all together and put a fat box with like 8 subs:D
    then and only then when i not ever give you grief about putting JL subs in your truck...lol
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2004
    why, because to be able to afford that he'd be able to afford a hitman?? :p

• MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    if you were really dedicated, youd just take out the rear seat all together and put a fat box with like 8 subs:D
    then and only then when i not ever give you grief about putting JL subs in your truck...lol
    -Cody

I have thought of that!! Try to figure out some way to stick in 4 12W6 at 400 each! Thats only 1200 watts which is still kids stuff to you and PBD but to an old man like me thats crankin'! ;)

.......and plus it would be worth not having a back seat just to get you off my back!!! :p

• exalted512
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    I have thought of that!! Try to figure out some way to stick in 4 12W6 at 400 each! Thats only 1200 watts which is still kids stuff to you and PBD but to an old man like me thats crankin'! ;)

.......and plus it would be worth not having a back seat just to get you off my back!!! :p
    4 subs x 400 watts each =1200 watts?
    i said this in another post and ill say it again
    can you tell he likes JL?:D
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    Damn it!!! I meant 1600!! Gawdamighty! Now youve got me so flustered I cant even add! :rolleyes:

• exalted512
    edited June 2004
    :D
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited June 2004
    LMAO:D :D:D:D:D:D
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.