FS: Adcom GFP-750 Pre-Amp

Options
JayCee
JayCee Posts: 1,479
edited November 2020 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
Adcom GFP-750 Pre-Amp w/desireable “Blue Board”
Asking: $750, PayPal Friends/Family to avoid fees or you pay fees
Shipping: Actual cost w/insurance & signature…will be double boxed/safely packed
Includes: Original box, remote, generic power cord, owner’s manual
Condition: Overall, 7/10 for blemishes--Function, 10/10
Lives in a pet/smoke free home

Of Note: Has Home Theater bypass, balanced CD input, balanced output (Owner's Manual attached at end of post)

Fine Print: Going w/the standard 100 posts and CP members in good standing. Anyone close to the minimums reach out…I’m a reasonable guy. Also, times are tough for some and music makes everything better. Folks I’ve “known” through the years on this forum…payment plan is always an option.

This is the one EVERYONE that’s owned and sold eventually states they shouldn’t have let her go. The proverbial girl that got away. Okay, a bit of hyperbole but it’s a damn fine pre for the money and you really do have to spend a lot more coin to move up. Adcom name, designed by Nelson Pass, rave reviews. A guts shot reveals one of the $exiest boards I’ve ever seen. It’s simple, very blue and as beautiful as circuit boards come. Can also double as a mirror. Sounds phenomenal! Read the reviews I've linked below.

Build a very respectable system around this pre-amp or up your game. And, as good as it is, and it is, there’s room for improvement. Well documented upgrades on the net to squeeze that last bit from her.

My original intention was to have the tech at Big Sky Audio work his magic after upgrading a pair of Parasound HCA-1500A’s, which it paired quite nicely with. Or, go the DIY route based on posts on the net. As usual, life got in the way but, IF I kept this piece, it’d be on the list of ta’ do’s. I mention this to provide a road map if so desired. Don’t misinterpret the talk of upgrades as a knock on the pre, the 750 has nothing to be ashamed of as it was produced.

I purchased this in 2012 from CP member RickTfromAZ and I’m the third owner. Here’s the original FS thread and Rick gives the history: https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/136446/adcom-gfp-750

I received it in excellent condition with the exception of a disclosed scratch on the faceplate that blends into the gold plate. I surgically touched up the black area with a Sharpie and it’s unnoticeable unless looking for it. And, my fault, an errant screw driver scratch near the back left to middle edge. Nothing major, and if I was keeping it, would also touch-up w/a Sharpie. I’ve documented both in the following pictures.

Hooked her up to my BHK-250 two nights ago and she purrs like a kitten. Paired it with a Pioneer Elite BD-79AVi SACD player that I’m also selling (ad to come) and it was very nice. Hard to photograph black, so any specks in the pics are dust (yes, I cleaned it) and lighting conditions.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Reviews
https://www.stereophile.com/solidpreamps/133/index.html
http://www.stereotimes.com/amp021000.shtml

Possible Upgrade(s)
https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/190404/adcom-gfp-750-cap-upgrade#latest
https://hoppesbrain.com/2017/03/11/adcom-gfp-750-upgrade/

The piece:
5xzdzvewh8ow.jpg
ucjo62gs5eka.jpg
0tskci2g9s4b.jpg
96u1k1pbmgm3.jpg

Blemishes: *Second pic is overemphasized in the pic. Much less noticeable in person.
01hemwifpuu1.jpg
93kl3hfj5wd1.jpg

The $exy Guts:
16n1z9suntzy.jpg
jzf5w9c1pk9v.jpg
1fw9xc7bmeks.jpg
jq43w49b2z6w.jpg
0gnnr3lq0aph.jpg
7xt3l0h8dsyb.jpg
Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

Comments

• CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,547
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I've always wanted to hear a 750!

Wanna trade for a Anthem Pre2L? JK :D

If anyone is the least bit concerned about packing, don't be. Of all my years, my Anthem pre he just sent me was the best packing job I've ever seen. EVER!
  • JayCee
    edited November 2020
    Options
    UPDATE: I'm unable to change my initial post, so adding to the description.

The "Blue Board" appears to be confusing w/the 750. A bit of reading and there were 2 iterations of the pre. Initial production was made in the USA and later runs produced overseas. I've seen many references to Taiwan but my board clearly states "Thailand" and you can see it in 2 of the pictures I posted. As pointed out to me, the difference is red caps vs. blue, which appears to be the reason one is called a "blue" vs. "red" board.

A quick search shows ToolFan69 https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/99974/adcom-gfp-750-blue-boards asked the same question.

A big thank you to @pitdogg2 for the courtesy of reaching out via PM in the spirit of being helpful. Goes a long way to making CP a place I like to hang out.

I'm all about honesty and clarification. Bottom line, this is a great pre and worth considering if you're so inclined.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    Options
    Worth it wish I had the stamps..
  • JayCee
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Worth it wish I had the stamps..
    JayCee wrote: »
    ...Folks I’ve “known” through the years on this forum…payment plan is always an option.
    :smiley::wink:
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options
    Reach out to Troy, he might be innarested in a backup. He hasn’t been on CP since Oct 18 . , , so I know he hasn’t seen this . .. just say’n

@TroyD

GLWTS
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • JayCee
    Options
    Thanks for the sleuthing on his login. Coincidentally, I saw his WTB thread when I was searching to make my update this morning. Figured he was around and hadn't gotten around to "dropping" his name. Appreciate it!
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • JayCee
    Options
    Thanks to all that have replied.

Current status:
    #1: @daboyz

John
  • JayCee
    Options
    Still available. Weekend bump.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Come on folks! This is an excellent ss pre designed by Nelson Pass! Can be upgraded to a whole new level too! Own a piece of rare audiophile equipment here!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • JayCee
    edited November 2020
    Options
    This is young Nelson Pass. He's an audio legend. He had a dream...
    kng17jmz7acn.png
    Pic borrowed from hifiengine.com

Nelson Pass's dream was to create kick-**** audio gear.

This is older Nelson Pass. He realized his dream. He designed the Adcom GFP-750.
    7oygnoafqgu1.png
    Pic borrowed from a CP thread that credits TAS

Nelson Pass is a happy man. Help keep Nelson Pass happy. Show Nelson Pass you love him. Show Nelson pass you appreciate his dream.
    o0lqrr1jh0wi.png
    Pic from Stereophile.com

Make Nelson Pass happy. Make yourself happy. Buy this preamp.
    4i2b15totw1a.png

Make JayCee happy. Bump
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,095
    Options
    Nelson is a hack. ;)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • CH46E
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Nelson is a hack. ;)

Better or worse than Carver? For the record I like Carver amps.
  • CH46E
    Options
    Tomorrow I have a friend coming over to listen to music. I'm going to try and convince he he NEEDS this.
  • mm840lsi15
    mm840lsi15 Posts: 35
    edited November 2020
    Options
    There's another difference, JayCee. The toggle switches are much longer on US-made GFP-750. Ah right, the passive/active modes sound almost at the same volume level in Thailand GFP-750. In the US model you can easily hear how much quieter the passive mode is. There's yet another thing: some of the GFP-750 preamps use bricky blue alps potentiometers for both volume and balance, some use mix of alps and some other manufacturer's potentiometers, some don't use alps at all.
  • JayCee
    Options
    Listening to music without the Adcom GFP-750 Pre:
    nkd4hh5pn5yy.gif

Listening to music with the Adcom GFP-750 PRE:
    uftl0052cme5.gif

Bump
    igz5fa2to2oc.png
  • geppy1
    geppy1 Posts: 3,071
    Options
  • CH46E
    Options
    My wife is already mad at me, @JayCee and @geppy1 . She recently looked at my PayPal account. Never noticed the equipment though!

Great pre amp here!
  • JayCee
    Options
    Bump....
    JayCee wrote: »
    Adcom GFP-750 Pre-Amp
    Shipping: Actual cost w/insurance & signature…will be double boxed/safely packed

Of Note: Has Home Theater bypass, balanced CD input, balanced output

Fine Print: Going w/the standard 100 posts and CP members in good standing. Anyone close to the minimums reach out…I’m a reasonable guy. Also, times are tough for some and music makes everything better. Folks I’ve “known” through the years on this forum…payment plan is always an option.

This is the one EVERYONE that’s owned and sold eventually states they shouldn’t have let her go. The proverbial girl that got away. Okay, a bit of hyperbole but it’s a damn fine pre for the money and you really do have to spend a lot more coin to move up. Adcom name, designed by Nelson Pass, rave reviews. Sounds phenomenal!
    5xzdzvewh8ow.jpg
    ucjo62gs5eka.jpg
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 862
    Options
    I really can’t believe this guy is still available. Truly under estimated preamp....I wish mine was in this nice of shape cosmetically.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    Hey kids....this is an insanely good preamp. Destination piece.....and trust me, I’ve thought about getting my hoard on.

No joke, probably the best preamp I’ve had here.....by far the best sand preamp for sure.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mattsk8
    Options
    Is this still for sale?? Would you be willing to ship to MI?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    Options
    mattsk8 wrote: »
    Is this still for sale?? Would you be willing to ship to MI?

Fine Print: Going w/the standard 100 posts and CP members in good standing.

Only 99 more
  • mattsk8
    Options
    Fair enough. I've purchased on Audiogon and various other places but I understand. Don't need to be cocky.
  • JayCee
    Options
    Fair enough. I've purchased on Audiogon and various other places but I understand. Don't need to be cocky.

Thanks, @mattsk8, for your interest. As pitdogg stated I'm keeping it available in-house (CP) for the foreseeable future. Can be a tough and protective lot around here but I appreciate you bumping my FS thread. Kind regards to you. :)

Cheers,

John
  • mattsk8
    Options
    Thanks John. I joined this forum because I found your post on Hifishark. If you decide you're interested in selling, please send a PM. I'm a respected member on Audioholics, and parts express tech talk forums under the same name, but I haven't posted at those forums in a while. I've been looking at one of these for a long time and decided I'm in. Yours is not the "blue board" version but from what I've read that isnt the concern we read it is. I'm looking for one soon. Thanks, and was glad to bump your thread. Regardless of your decision with me, good luck on the sale of your preamp.
  • JayCee
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Thanks John. I joined this forum because I found your post on Hifishark. If you decide you're interested in selling, please send a PM. I'm a respected member on Audioholics, and parts express tech talk forums under the same name, but I haven't posted at those forums in a while. I've been looking at one of these for a long time and decided I'm in. Yours is not the "blue board" version but from what I've read that isnt the concern we read it is. I'm looking for one soon. Thanks, and was glad to bump your thread. Regardless of your decision with me, good luck on the sale of your preamp.

@mattsk8, appreciate the understanding. I've visited Hifishark but had no idea it scraped off sites like it appears to. I've never posted there but just found the reference to this FS ad. You learned me something new from this. ;)

Agree about the "blue board" status. Appears to be a legendary thing that has a life of it's own. The pre has spoken for itself through the years and, "blue" or not, is very good.

Good luck on your hunt and, based on your PE forum time, I'm guessing you'll do the mods to a 750 in your future and it'll be even better than stock. In the event I do decide to sell outside the forum, I'll keep you in mind. That said, I don't want to mislead you. The 750 is the one piece I've acquired through the years that I have no problems keeping in reserve if it doesn't sell here.

Final thought...the Polk Forum is a great place to "hang out". Many of us cut our teeth on Polk and it's what brought us here...but most folks have broadened their horizons, so it's not always Polk. Feel free to jump in w/any insight our just shooting the $hit if you're so inclined.

John
    Post edited by JayCee on
  • mattsk8
    Options
    I like Polk Audio speakers, I don't currently own a pair but I've had quite a few over the years. I got into building speakers many years ago, I actually host shows here in Michigan with Meniscus Audio for "DIY speakers", although we didn't have a show this year. I also built a set for SB Acoustics that was demo'd at Axpona year before last. I'll peruse the forum here and maybe cause some problems in the future lol.

Thanks again and good luck with your sale. I'm looking for a preamp because my Cary SLI-80 quit working. Fairly sure the rectifier tube went bad, and this caused its AC fuse to blow (at least I'm hoping its this simple). I had this integrated in my living room, and I think a tube amp might be too "finicky" for my living room because it gets used a LOT by my family for background music. So my thought was to go back to solid state here, I have a Adcom 5500 in storage and I'll use that amp with the preamp. There is another 750 preamp, I might nab it. This might sound nuts, but I've personally never heard or used one of these preamps. I've read about them a lot, and I've used quite a few other Adcom preamps, just not this one. I'm after one because I've read that these are some of the best out there, and the "passive" mode is really nice.

Curious, are you selling yours because you have one you prefer over this Adcom? Since the Cary quit a couple days ago, right now in my living room I'm using my old Spectral DMC-6 preamp. It's a very good preamp but it's really old, the RCAs are getting loose, and the right channel cuts out if the balance knob isn't just right. I can fix all that but the deal breaker is that it doesn't have a remote. Hoping to get one of these Adcom 750 preamps, have it sound as good as my Spectral (very quiet, clean and neutral sounding), but gain a remote and lose the issue I have with my Spectral.
  • JayCee
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Very cool w/the DIY speakers. I don't have experience w/the Cary or Spectral but Cary gets allot of praise on this site.

Take a look at my signature and you'll see PS Audio BHK Pre and the rest of my gear. I recently sold a tubed based Anthem Pre-2L that, along w/the 750, gave me the hankering to have a modern solid state design w/tubes in the mix. The BHK is really in a different league and priced that way, too.

Was PM'ing with another forum member and was asked about the Anthem vs 750 and long term which I'd keep if I had to chose. I'll copy and paste my thoughts from that conversation....

I'm really enjoying tubes and being able to hear different presentations with the sound. But, TBH, long term...probably the 750 because I could stop the little voice in my head saying, "This sounds good, but maybe better?"

Solid state would put that part of my brain at ease. It's (750) really clean, open and the soundstage is immersive. There are 2 modes on it. Passive and active. Can't tell you why one sounds the way it does over the other but I preferred active. More in the circuit, so not as "pure" as some like, but for me...it adds a bit more meat to the music but in no way sounds overemphasized in the highs or bloated in the bass. Mids fill out, too.

Three main points w/the 750.

1) If I wasn't looking to spend multiples more...I could be very happy with it. Took me almost 10 years to decide this and I spent WAY more.

2) I know the 750 is great, stock, but after speaking w/and visiting my tech, Rick, at Big Sky Audio, I was convinced it had even more potential w/upgrades. I have his work in my 2 Parasound 1500A's and know what he's capable of. He's retired so, that said, if I was keeping for "life" I would DIY the upgrades. Sooner or later but I'd own it with the intention of squeezing every ounce out of it. Goes hand-in-hand with my statement on tubes, the voice saying, "Maybe better?" I'd bury the devil and stop the voice. LOL

3) Obvious attribute of the 750 vs tubes....the 750, dead quiet. Some tubes can be a bit "noisy".... some not so much. Doesn't bother me unless it's really obvious but some folks don't like it. Long term tube costs suck but come w/the territory. Kind of like owning a new car. Eventually the tires need to be changed.

Final thoughts on the 750. You mentioned the remote as a want w/a pre. Remote works as advertised but it isn't the most precise I've owned as it overshoots if you have a heavy hand. In no way a deal breaker but it is my one criticism. I purchased the 750 based on the reviews; you're not nuts to be considering the 750 having never listened to it.

As I stated in my original FS post I've witnessed many folks coming back to this pre after saying they regretted selling it. Speaks to the quality of the piece and especially bang for buck it offers. TBH, I have no problem keeping it in reserve but the sale is more about giving another CP member the opportunity to own this.
  • JayCee
    Options
    Bump and Club Polk approved...trusted ears say:
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Come on folks! This is an excellent ss pre designed by Nelson Pass! Can be upgraded to a whole new level too! Own a piece of rare audiophile equipment here!
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    I really can’t believe this guy is still available. Truly under estimated preamp....I wish mine was in this nice of shape cosmetically.
    TroyD wrote: »
    Hey kids....this is an insanely good preamp. Destination piece.....and trust me, I’ve thought about getting my hoard on.

No joke, probably the best preamp I’ve had here.....by far the best sand preamp for sure.

BDT

Adcom GFP-750 Pre-Amp

Of Note: Has Home Theater bypass, balanced CD input, balanced output

This is the one EVERYONE that’s owned and sold eventually states they shouldn’t have let her go. The proverbial girl that got away. Okay, a bit of hyperbole but it’s a damn fine pre for the money and you really do have to spend a lot more coin to move up. Adcom name, designed by Nelson Pass, rave reviews. Sounds phenomenal!
    5xzdzvewh8ow.jpg
    ucjo62gs5eka.jpg

Reviews
    https://www.stereophile.com/solidpreamps/133/index.html
    http://www.stereotimes.com/amp021000.shtml

Possible Upgrade(s)
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/190404/adcom-gfp-750-cap-upgrade#latest
    https://hoppesbrain.com/2017/03/11/adcom-gfp-750-upgrade/