HDMI Splitter for Cable Box

Options
I want to be able to display CATV content on two 'TVs' without any lag in audio or video.

In our Home theater, our main cable box (Xfinity X1 DVR) is the source, but has only one HDMI output. It outputs to the Marantz AV7702 processor which sends video to our Epson projector and audio to the B&K amp and the surround speakers. We have a bar at the back (and to the right) of the theater where I plan to put a smaller LED TV so those sitting at the bar can watch games (simultaneously with the theater) without any lag in the audio or video. I previously had a separate cable box there, but there was always a couple second delay from the DVR box. And, pausing the DVR was out of the question!

I want to be able to duplicate the video (and audio) at the LED TV in the bar in perfect sync. I already ran two HDMI cables from the equipment rack to the PJ. I plan to extend the extra one from the PJ to the TV in the bar.

The Marantz has three HDMI outputs ("Zone 2", "Monitor 1 ARC", and "Monitor 2"). I have the PJ coming from the "Monitor 1 ARC" output. I suppose I can do some trial and error, but hoping someone can chime in. Can I connect the extra HDMI cable from either the Zone 2 or Monitor 2 to the TV and get BOTH video and audio at the TV, or will it just be video? I want the Marantz and the amp in the main theater running surround for the projector, but would also like to have audio at the TV in the bar (so the sound isn't only coming from the speakers in the theater behind the barstools) without degrading the audio in the theater.

If this is not possible via one of the extra HDMI outs at the Marantz, I could always get a splitter at the Cable box and run one out to the Marantz, and the other directly to the TV. If that is my only option, does anyone have any recommendations? There are plenty on Amazon ranging in price from $10 and up with mixed reviews. I imagine I'd want something that is powered for amplification of the signal since one run is about 25' and the other will be about 50'.

Again, I don't want to degrade anything in the main theater by doing this. I'm OK if the AV quality at the new TV isn't 'top notch', but would like it to still be as good as possible and in sync with the theater.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Comments

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Monitor 1 and Monitor 2 play the same content as the selected primary zone source on your AV7702.

Zone 2 plays a separate source or can be assigned to play the same source as Zone 1. But it takes some setup to do properly.

The easiest method to use is Monitor 1 and 2 for your purposes. This is the method a lot of folks use who have equipment racks in another room for their theater so that they can verify that what is showing on the screen in the theater without having to go back and forth.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    Thanks for the input Ryan! I'll give that a try. I wasn't sure (since I have my audio run through an amp from the pre/pro via the RCA channel outputs) if the Marantz it still sends audio out via the HDMI. I'll experiment with another TV tonight before I run wires.
  • scubalab
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Monitor 1 and Monitor 2 play the same content as the selected primary zone source on your AV7702.

Zone 2 plays a separate source or can be assigned to play the same source as Zone 1. But it takes some setup to do properly.

The easiest method to use is Monitor 1 and 2 for your purposes. This is the method a lot of folks use who have equipment racks in another room for their theater so that they can verify that what is showing on the screen in the theater without having to go back and forth.

@ZLTFUL - Unfortunately, this won’t work. I can get video on both the projector and tv, but audio is either/or. In the video setup for HDMI, I can only choose AVP (sound plays on speakers from pre/pro —> amp, but not on TV speaker) OR TV (sound plays on TV speaker, but not theater speakers). There is no selection for both. For the video output, I can choose between “Monitor 1”, “Monitor 2”, or “Auto (Dual)”

Think I have to get a splitter installed prior to the Pre/Pro. :(
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Sorry Al...totally didn't think of the audio side. Just assumed. Probably would have known better if I had audio in the storage room where Monitor 2 is. I will go give myself 30 lashes upon the mast.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • scubalab
    Options
    I'm a forgiving person, 25 lashes will do Ryan!

I sort of figured the audio might be the holdback. Not a big deal getting a splitter... just would have been nice to minimize the connections, splices, splits, etc. Unlike your bar, Ryan, there will not be surround in mine! Just want to be able to supplement the sound coming from the theater behind the barstools with sound from the TV's little speaker.

I'm thinking of this TV for the Bar:

https://www.samsclub.com/p/40-4k-hdr-smart-tv-v-series/prod24770094?xid=plp_product_12