hdmi 2.1 bug

Options
Hello
What is exactly the hdmi 2.1 bug? Is it only impacting gamers with the Xbox X, Playstation 5 and some specific video card?
Or is it also impacting most of the bluray/4k players as well?
Should any AVR that is hdmi 2.1 be avoided for now?
Thanks
RTiA5 + CSiA4 + Jamo SW410E
Yamaha TSR-700 (equivalent to RX V6A)
No surround...yet

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Options
    The gist of it is the new receivers will not pass high bandwidth content from some upcoming sources at 8K or 4K at 120khz as advertised. The manufacturers are figuring out how to fix the compatibility issues which may require a hardware fix. Find one from a grey market dealer and there would be no warranty fix for the issue. And who wants to deal with a warranty repair on a new receiver anyway? The advice from the manufacturers at the moment is to do a workaround that equates to not using the 8K output buyers paid for. Someone can use that method with the previous versions of receivers, hence no reason to buy a new one if someone already has a normal 4K receiver.

A new receiver will work just as well as the previous versions up to normal 4K, but the previous versions are now being discounted. For example, the SR8012 is at $2499 and the SR8015 is at $3199. If I needed one my money would be going to the SR8012. I would be more likely to wait a few months on the new receivers until they work out the kinks.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    edited November 2020
    Options
    On another front, Anthem also appears to not be ready for prime time in the HDMI 2.1 game as their new line of receivers and processors will require a hardware upgrade and a return to the factory for 8K processing at a later date (irregardless :) of saying they use a different video processing chipset):

https://www.whathifi.com/us/news/anthem-launches-eight-new-receivers-processors-and-power-amps
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    The only people that need to worry about it are those interested in the new Xbox, PS5, or high end PC gaming. There is no 4K120 or 8K60 video sources.

On the other hand if you're not interested in gaming there's no reason not to save a bunch of money on last year or older models.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • French_guy
    Options
    I was looking at the YAMAHA TSR 700......
    RTiA5 + CSiA4 + Jamo SW410E
    Yamaha TSR-700 (equivalent to RX V6A)
    No surround...yet