MOMO speakers and external crossovers

2»

Comments

• dnewhous
    dnewhous Posts: 42
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    powered subwoofer systems suck ****
    i can get an amp and a JBL GT 12 sub for less than the cost of a basslink and itll get louder and sound better
    powered subwooder systems=stupid lazy man's bass
    -Cody

What enclosure would you use?

And who makes the best subwoofer amps?
    Daniel L Newhouse
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2004
    if its a simple square enclosure, id make it myself
    and as far as who makes the best sub woofer amps...id say brax and tru technology are some of the best...but they are in upwards of thousands of dollars...do you have a price range?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • dnewhous
    edited June 2004
    Wow.

Yeah, say $600 or less.

What do you think of the Kicker loaded sealed enclosures? Making my own subwoofer box is not an alternative.
    Daniel L Newhouse
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2004
    If you have to buy an enclosure then make sure its made out of wood. 3/4" MDF is best. A lot of pre made boxes are plastic! Polk Audio makes a good one and JL Audio makes a great one but its also $500! It could also be an option to have a shop throw one together for you.

Kicker makes damn good amps. Plenty of clean power.

My favorite amps are, in order, JL Audio, Orion and MTX. Rockford Fosgate, Kicker, Xtant and Alpine V12 also get an honorable mention.

For under $350 I go with MTX.

Anything over that Ill stick with JL Audio and Orion.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • dnewhous
    edited June 2004
    What about Phoenix Gold amps?

Kicker puts a 150 watt 12" sub in a sealed enclosure (3/4" MDF). This is the amount of subwoofer I would want. When you go up in $ from there you quickly get into 600 watt monsters that I have no interest in.

Rockford and Phoenix Gold make 150 watt sub amps. The Phoenix Gold is the more expensive one - it has a subsonic filter.

Also, I don't see that you get more for the same amount of money than the Infinity basslink. A minimal subwoofer amp costs about as much as the entire basslink subwoofer (~$300). I suppose if you assume you build the enclosure yourself that might make alternatives more appealing.

Still, it is nice that buying a sub and amp separately will get you a speaker cone that is made out of something other than "treated paper."
    Daniel L Newhouse
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    wrong
    this amp is only $170 and will power a JBL sub, hell, itll power a mm12 rather nicely
    $180 for the mm12, 170 for the amp, $350 total with enclosure...
    -Cody
  • dnewhous
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    wrong
    this amp is only $170 and will power a JBL sub, hell, itll power a mm12 rather nicely
    $180 for the mm12, 170 for the amp, $350 total with enclosure...
    -Cody

Is the MM12 a discontinued item? The price on it looks like a bit of a fluke. That's less than half retail.
    Daniel L Newhouse
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    no, they were just always overpriced
    -Cody