Options
    I'd like to see that.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,437
    Options
    I had a college buddy that had over 120 bootleg albums of Frank Zappa concerts and recording sessions. This was in the early 80's. Up until that point I never knew how prolific of a songwriter he actually was.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,174
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Thanks. I will have to see this.

I have been on a Zappa kick the past year.

The Zappa Trust has been putting out a lot of great box sets lately. I bought the Hot Rats Sessions box, Zappa in New York Deluxe box, Roxy box, Mothers 1970 box, as well as the Halloween 1977 (usb version) and Halloween 1973 boxes (each of which comes with a Halloween costume and mask!).

All are fantastic but the Hot Rats Sessions box has to be the best of all. It contains a lot of excerpts (starts and stops) of songs (as well as whole master takes, of course) and includes Frank's studio commentary to the musicians about what he wants them to do. It really lets a listener into Zappa's vision and genius as a composer and arranger. The Live in New York box is also tremendous. In fact, all are essential for a Zappa (or music) fan. The Halloween boxes are great as well but are much pricier than the others due to having to pay for the gimmicky packaging (costme, mask gloves). But they have put out highlights CDs from the larger Halloween boxes, as well as a single show from each Halloween box, I believe, at a reasonable cost.

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    Instant purchase for me, looking forward to this.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,462
    Options
    I've never listened to Frank Zappa.
    I keep meaning to. I'm curious about this film, too.
    I disabled signatures.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
    Options
    There is a ton of Zappa on Tidal it seems. If I only could get my streamer connected again that would be nice😞
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    I've never listened to Frank Zappa.
    I keep meaning to. I'm curious about this film, too.

Start small -- diving into to FZ is drinking from a fire hose.

I started our son on easily-digested FZ in the form of the 'greatest hits' album called Strictly Commercial. It worked. He became a huge FZ fan.

5d2l6bvvc3dn.png

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I was not much of a Zappa fan in my early years. Then one Christmas I received a CD, Overnight sensation/Apostrophe. Next thing I know Weasels ripped my flesh, then OMG there's 2 DVD-Audio got to have those......

Careful next you'll be camping out at Joe's Garage ...

😉😉
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
    Options
    We would Jam in Joe's garage...we didn't need no dope or LSD. Just a couple of quarts of beer...
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Joe's Garage was my FZ intro back in high school. One fateful spring day in '84 I remember listening to Nazareth, Hair of the Dog, Foghat, Slow Ride, followed by Joe's Garage. Funny how I can recall exactly what was played and the order. I was hooked, but little did I know how very different JG was in Zappa's world. Last year, went on a Zappa spree and picked up 14 albums that selectively represent the journey known as Frank. Must admit, I'm still trying to get my brain around much of it.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    For me, Frank Zappa Sheik Yerbouti and Joes Garage as a kid was the LP that we could be rude and felt like we go away with something listening to. Before that, Nazareth Hair of the Dog, when blasted, most of the parents came would yell at us to turn that C rap off because of the S O B in the song. Sheik Yerbouti with Broken Hears are for A holes on down to Bobby Brown took that rebellious side to another level.

Even as a kid, because of the 2 Zappa LP's, I branched out Uncle Meat, Weasels and Apostrophe. When he cam out with the series you can't do that on stage vol 1-12, I then truly realized how much of a musical genius he truly was.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,688
    Options
    When I was 12, my friend's older brother bought "Zoot Allures" (1976). I can remember us singing the grossest parts of "The Torture Never Stops" on the school bus. :p

Soon after, I heard side one of "Apostrophe" on a Boy Scout trip. "Watch out where the huskies go..." was possibly the funniest thing I had ever heard at that point.

My brother came home from the army in 1980 with a few hundred pieces of vinyl. "Overnite Sensation" from his collection was a constant for me throughout high school. Listening to college radio at the time introduced me to a number of other favorites (Most notably "Muffin Man").

Of course, 1982 brought us "Valley Girl", which seemed to be played everywhere.

I bought the double CD Ivan mentioned with "Overnite Sensation"/"Apostrophe" as well as the "Strictly Commercial" compilation.

Oh. I also saw Frank on "Saturday Night Live" when he appeared in the "Night on Freak Mountain" skit when it first aired. :p
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    You guys need to get “Cruisin’ With Rubin & The Jets.