What settings do you use to rip CDs?

If CDs are 44.1/16 does it make sense to rip at a settings higher than that?
HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    How do you rip higher than that?
    I just make a wave file when making a CD of my own to use in say a vehicle.
  • Media monkey will allow me to rip at 192/24 but I don’t know if that makes sense.
    HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    edited October 2020
    I just go 44/16 flac, 5 compression, I think it is. I think @tophatjohnny has found a difference going a little higher.
    I disabled signatures.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    24/192
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I rip to WAV uncompressed in JRiver to archive on a NAS server since that's bit for bit copied with metadata intact. I will convert and save from those files in mp3, FLAC, or DSD depending on how files will be played back. My car's audio system will only play MP3 up to 320kbps from my phone over Bluetooth. FLAC is less demanding to stream over WiFi. DSD 2.8 converted files sound better (smoother) than WAV or FLAC on a player I have but those can't be streamed and aren't useful elsewhere. My default is to just use the WAV files though. Storage is cheap.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    24/192

Keep in mind the higher level you rip in will require more space on your drives and for some 16 bit 44.1 Hz will do just fine. I should have never snooped as to the improvements at the higher levels but I did. and even with a mere Cambridge Audio SM6 could I hear a slight improvement. so game on! Good thing at that time I only had a few thousand albums to redo, and for reference I did keep some files in 16 bit 44.1 Hz to listen to the differences on different players. It made a slight improvement on my Cambridge 851N as well but the real difference was to be heard when I moved up and started auditioning better players, Elac, Moon, Aurender, Lumin etc. All of which are fantastic pieces and great companies. I landed on the Auralic Vega G2 and that's what I found to be right for me! The G2 is as honest as they come and especially when I feed a rip that I've done 24bit 38400Hz does it come to a whole new level.
    Again it's all good and up to the beholder, as to what gear trips your trigger, & as a wise man or 2 have said everything in the chain makes a difference.

Kinda why I recenty added 6-16TB Seagate Iron Wolf Pro drives to my 8 bay Synology NAS as I knew I was hooked on the ripping hobby and have now a pretty insane collection that grows daily, with planty of space to more than double my current inventory. So Shall I or social eye??

Quality & Quantity = Sheer Madness as Music is not what I do, it's who I am!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!