Dolby Atmos VS Bookshelf

Looking for clarification that a bookshelf speaker can be used, instead of a Dolby Atmos enabled speaker, when installing speakers on the ceiling. I guess the purpose of a Dolby Atmos enabled speaker is to bounce the sound off of the ceiling when placed on top of floor speakers, when ceiling mounting is not possible. I'm planning to install some bookshelf speakers at the very top/corner of the wall.
Projector - Optoma CinemaX P1 | Screen - Elunevision 120" Aurora 8k Ultra Short Throw NanoEdge
Media - HTPC: 120 TB Movies, Nvidia Shield | AVR - Denon AVR-X3700H | Amp - Outlaw 5000, Outlaw 2200 x 3, Outlaw 2220 x 2
Front Spkrs - Polk Audio RTiA9 | Center Spkr - Polk Audio CSiA6 | Surround Spkrs - Polk Audio RTiA7
Rear Spkrs - Polk Audio RTiA5 | Atmos - Polk Audio RTiA1 | Sub - HSU VTF-15H MK2 x 2

Comments

• Absolutely can be done and is actually a great way to do it. Place it on mounts and angle them to fire towards the main listening position.

(We do this many times with the Polk s10)
  • simoes
    simoes Posts: 71
    Thanks. I think I'm going to install them towards the center, instead in front, of the room so the sound appears to be coming from the ceiling (instead of heights).
    Projector - Optoma CinemaX P1 | Screen - Elunevision 120" Aurora 8k Ultra Short Throw NanoEdge
    Media - HTPC: 120 TB Movies, Nvidia Shield | AVR - Denon AVR-X3700H | Amp - Outlaw 5000, Outlaw 2200 x 3, Outlaw 2220 x 2
    Front Spkrs - Polk Audio RTiA9 | Center Spkr - Polk Audio CSiA6 | Surround Spkrs - Polk Audio RTiA7
    Rear Spkrs - Polk Audio RTiA5 | Atmos - Polk Audio RTiA1 | Sub - HSU VTF-15H MK2 x 2
  • Sounds good. Follow the Dolby Atmos speaker placement guide to get them in the right spot to maximize Atmos performance.
  • I used Atrium 5's for my front height/atmos.0jld0bxs7ry0.jpg
  • simoes
    simoes Posts: 71
    edited October 2020
    mkellypc wrote: »
    I used Atrium 5's for my front height/atmos.

Nice! I like your sub!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    mkellypc wrote: »
    I used Atrium 5's for my front height/atmos.0jld0bxs7ry0.jpg

Cool dog, we have a Boston as well
  • sainakos
    sainakos Posts: 11
    edited November 2020
    Good afternoon from Greece.

I have a 5.1 set up with FRL S20e Center S35e and SRL s15e
    AVR X2500H and Sub klipsch r120sw.

I want to buy a pair of speakers dfor front heigth and i need your advice.

I have 2 choices

First to buy s15e for front heigth use

Second to buy s10e either for FH spekares or to put them as SRL and move S15e aw FH

Any advice???

Distance center to listening position 3.0m and ceiling height 2.7m
    Post edited by sainakos on
  • If you don't have any problems using the bigger S15 for height duties, go with that.

Having said that, the size of the S10 makes it really convenient and more aesthetically friendly to use for that purpose so i'd probably go that route if it was me.

[Please don't ban me. Am only trying to help]