12AX7

Options
Anyone have any collecting dust that are good strong tubes? No Russian or Chinese need apply ;)
Just trying to see what is out there/available in Raytheon, Sylvania, Tung-Sol, RCA or others of European descent. GE made many for a ton of others not too interested in them at the moment

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,042
    Options
    how many do you want/need?
    I may have a coupla decent vintage Amurrican plinkers if you just want to fiddle about (ahem, so to speak) with high mu twin triodes a bit. ;)

They'd be free for the cost of shipping if and strictly as is (though' I would at least give them a basic emission/grid leakage/shorts test).

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,575
    Options
    One is in the power supply one in the signal path.
    Yes its exactly what I'm doing fiddling about. Before I plop down top dollar just trying to see what difference they make. I'm now using two GE 12bz7 early 50's black plate tall bottles.
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    Hey Ivan. Did I send you a list of the 12AX7's I have available? I thought I did.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Yea pal I just didn't want to wear out my welcome :D I got a bunch of your others. I'll revisit it.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    One is in the power supply one in the signal path.
    Yes its exactly what I'm doing fiddling about. Before I plop down top dollar just trying to see what difference they make. I'm now using two GE 12bz7 early 50's black plate tall bottles.

Lemme see if I have two decent testing/sounding plinkers. I'll let you know (it might be a few days, though).

I might not have much in the way of 12AX7 family members. I am not a big fan of 12AX7s (although there are, of course, some things here that use 'em), so I don't have much of a bullpen, so to speak ;)
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Yea no problem Doc.
    Well with this bunch they're all new to me.

Why not AX fan?
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2020
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Yea no problem Doc.
    Well with this bunch they're all new to me.

Why not AX fan?

I don't like what they do to music in most applications. There's a coarseness to 12AX7s that I associate with their high mu (but mine is a minority opinion) -- and they seem like a silly choice for phase splitters (even though they did get used for that, probably because they were cheap). That, plus... I cannot afford (i.e., justify the price of) the good ones.
    Rather use 6SL7s or 6SN7s based on a few decades of exposure to both (e.g., in phono preamp sections -- although of course the amplification factor of the 12AX7 is even higher than the 6SL7). It's not an objective, scientific opinion. :|

My opinion of 6922/7308 tubes is even lower, though ;)

• pitdogg2
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I can't disagree with the 6sn7, I have a gaggle of those as well. Many preamps that take them are pretty pricey.
    I see prices all over the place as well and a dizzying array "equivalents" as well in the 12xx family. In the meantime I'm just trying to figure out whether the one 12ax7 or the pair of 12au7 swapping out make the biggest difference.

To my ears most of the GE tubes have had an edginess on the top end that my ears dislike. I have 2 pair of CBS branded GE made 12au7's. Both black plates one pair made in 57 the other 61. Same edginess I hear in the 6sn7 group, although through the years GE had lots of different internal tube structures. I did find two different 6sn7 that I liked. The bridged filament and the early parallel T plates.

The 12bz7's are pretty smooth I must say. Just a tad microphonic when tapped, but very quiet other than that.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    Ivan I have a pair of Tesla (not JJ) e83cc (12AX7 equivalents) I could send you. i used them in a phono pre that I sold some time ago....
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Pm incoming mike.