For Spotify use—Chromecast Audio + Cambridge 851D or Auralic Vega G1?

I’m currently using ChromeCast Audio device to stream Spotify to a Cambridge Audio 851D DAC...then to an integrated amp (Musical Fidelity M6Si). Will there be any noticeable sound improvement if I upgrade all the way to an Auralic Vega G1(or even G2) just to stream audio from Spotify?

Best Answers

Answers

• I had the Cambridge 851N and used Tidal with it for a few weeks. Recently, I found a 851D for a good price and connected a Chromecast Audio device to it. I couldn’t detect any significant difference while listening to “master” songs on Tidal so I kept the cheaper set up. I understand that the DAC is the same in both units. Now I’m just wondering if the upgrading the DAC and streamer will yield any more improvement in streaming Spotify and Tidal.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Could be other things downstream that are preventing your lack of differentiation on sources. Doesn't make a lot of sense to buy a $2,000+ DAC if you are using $50 lamp cord for speaker wire (for example).
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Thank you. I’ll hold off upgrading the streamer/DAC until I can get my hands on better speaker cables (currently using blue jeans cables).
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    What are your speakers, interconnects, power cables? And what amp and preamp are you using?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • IC: MIT shotgun S3 rca cable from Cambridge 851D DAC
    Integrated amp: Musical Fidelity M6si
    Speakers: polk Lsim707

Stock power cables.
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 675
    Biggest thing you could do to improve your sound quality is to ditch Spotify and go with either Tidal or Qobuz ...
    Spotify really sucks .....

Bk
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM