Something weird fuzzy passenger speakers

balaraform
balaraform Posts: 3
edited June 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just installed this componets system in my car. I am running a JLe3400 which puts out 75x4 to my speakers. I only installed my front door speakers the rear are still factory, I was told by my installer that this was allright to keep the factory and upgrade the front. But now the highs on the passenger side have a fuzzy sound in them and kinda cracking. I think I might have blown the speakers but why wouldn't the driver sides go too? I checked the tweeter on the driver side by switching and it sounded fine.

Post edited by balaraform on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2004
    Not to be nitpicky but the JL Audio E4300 puts out 45x4. The 75x4 is their 2 ohm rating so unless youre running 8 sets of speakers youre only getting 45 per. Actually the 45 is at a 12.5 voltage and underrated so youre probably getting more like 60 to each.

I also disagree in keeping the rear factory speakers. Actually I disagree with rear speakers altoghether. If youre going to use rears use a good quality speaker. Factory speakers suck. No other way around it. Even the "Premium" factory stereo speakers suck.

What kind of speakers are you using?

You should double check your wiring to make sure you didnt either wire them out of phase or worse hook the low pass to the tweet. If you did then youre killing your tweeters, and quickly!

I can almost guarantee you that its not a problem with the amp. JL are some of the best made stuff around and I guess its possible you got a dud but I doubt it.

A quick story. A buddy of mine in Texas had a JL E2150 and it quit working. He took it back to the shop and the dude told him that he needed to recheck his installation because "dude, these things dont quit working". Well he called me up and we tore his car apart and sure enough, the ground wire wasnt fastened very securely and would lose contact periodically and cut off the amp. No point, just a passing memory on the subject.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2004
    friends dont let friends use JL
    the cracking and fuzzy sound most likely means its blown and it is not uncommon at all for one speaker to blow and the other sounds fine
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • balaraform
    balaraform Posts: 3
    edited May 2004
    Well I checked all of the wiring and did not find anything wrong..I moved the speakers around and they sound fine on the driver side. I am using The mmc6500 speakers. its strange that the driver side works fine...i even switched the speakers for trial..and they worked fine but when i moved them to the other the fuzzyness again...i am going to get rear speakers on wed. Ill try the ground wire and see if thats it. Any other suggestions?
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited June 2004
    wait... so the passenger side speaker sounds fuzzy, but when you switch that speaker to the driver side, it stops being fuzzy? and when you switch the driver's speaker over to the passenger's side, it's not fuzzy either? is that right?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs