SDA CRS+ speakers with vintage receivers

Options
I picked up 4 SDA CRS+speakers at a garage sale a few years ago without the IC cables for $50. What I have set up in my listening room (11 x 14) are 2 Sansui 2000X and 7070 that I got while in the Navy and 2 Fishers, a 800b and a 500b. Currently I am using JBL 4312's.
Will my receivers have any problems driving the CRS+ speakers?
Thanks!

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited September 2020
    Options
    You need to make an SDA cable or two because you are missing way more than you can imagine.

The CRS+ has a nominal 6 ohm rating, but dips lower. You'd want to use something capable of driving 4 ohm loads without breaking a sweat.

Another thing, with the SDA cable connected you cannot use non-common ground amps.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• abescan
    Options
    Thanks!
    I was wondering if there is a minimum wattage receiver to use with them. I don't have any modern ones.
    My IC cable is the 2 blade connection- I'll have to locate one.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    abescan wrote: »
    Thanks!
    I was wondering if there is a minimum wattage receiver to use with them. I don't have any modern ones.
    My IC cable is the 2 blade connection- I'll have to locate one.

they(blade/blade) are the most common on the used market.
  • abescan
    Options
    Would my Sansui 7070 work fine with these speakers?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    yes it would work if you're not looking for rock concert levels.
  • abescan
    Options
    My listening room is only 11 X 14 and the volume knob is usually no more than at 10 o'clock.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    I was curious so I looked up your manual and it is rated for 4 Ohm impedance speakers. Interestingly, they rate it for 60 W RMS per channel regardless of 4 Ohm or 8 Ohm. I guess that is cautionary?

2951cow30h2f.png
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,279
    Options
    I was curious so I looked up your manual and it is rated for 4 Ohm impedance speakers. Interestingly, they rate it for 60 W RMS per channel regardless of 4 Ohm or 8 Ohm. I guess that is cautionary?

2951cow30h2f.png

They might use output transformers like McIntosh does.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,187
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Or it would put out a lot more than 60W per channel into 4 Ohms but cannot do so while maintaining the <0.3% THD specification. In other words, don't turn the volume control up very high into 4 ohms? I'm admittedly not familiar with output transformers in amplifiers. Have to read up on that.

Looking at the back of his receiver there are only 2 pairs of speaker outputs (System A and SystemB) and I don't see different outputs for different impedance loads.

wrwcyggri6i8.png
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    I know just enough electronics to be dangerous :# but here's the schematic for the Left Channel and there is no output transformer or autoformer:

a0h199exz6ik.png
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 306
    Options
    I ran my CRS speakers from a 70 wpc Yamaha receiver for years. I thought they sounded fine. Then, I got a 70 wpc high current separate and was amazed at how much better they sounded. Since then, I've gone through a 200 wpc Rotel amp that produced significantly better sound, and now use an even better Parasound A21. The speakers love power.

And, by all means, buy or make an SDA cable. It's what sets SDAs apart. Lastly, consider giving at least one of those sets the 4.1TL treatment.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Or it would put out a lot more than 60W per channel into 4 Ohms but cannot do so while maintaining the <0.3% THD specification. In other words, don't turn the volume control up very high into 4 ohms? I'm admittedly not familiar with output transformers in amplifiers. Have to read up on that.

Looking at the back of his receiver there are only 2 pairs of speaker outputs (System A and SystemB) and I don't see different outputs for different impedance loads.

wrwcyggri6i8.png

Amps do not have different outputs for different loads.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • F1nut
    Options
    There's no tubes in his Sansui.

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    Options
    Yeah we know that, but invalid posed the question of the possibility that it might have an output transformer, which is apparently common or even mandatory in a true tube amplifier. I was saying that apparently it doesn't because I thought that the back of the amplifier should have different outputs (or at least a selector switch) for different impedance loads. Then I verified that it doesn't have one from the schematic.

The real question that remains unanswered is why doesn't it have a higher wattage output rating at 4 ohms vs. 8 ohms?
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • F1nut
    Options
    Maybe you'll figure it out one day.

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    Options
    @abescan Welcome to Club Polk by the way ;)
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • abescan
    Options
    @abescan Welcome to Club Polk by the way ;)
    Thank you- glad to be part of this!
  • F1nut
    Options
    abescan, for the record you can safely drive 4 ohm nominal loads the same way you would drive 8 ohm nominal loads. Your Sansui's wpc rating is the same at 8 and 4 ohms because it has a current limiter circuit.

President of Club Polk

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,279
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    abescan, for the record you can safely drive 4 ohm nominal loads the same way you would drive 8 ohm nominal loads. Your Sansui's wpc rating is the same at 8 and 4 ohms because it has a current limiter circuit.

That's something new I learned today, thanks for the info F1nut.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,187
    edited September 2020
    Options
    It's a nicer receiver than my Technics SA500 that I had as a kid (still have in a closet). High Fidelity did a nice write up and it looks like it puts out about 10W more before clipping than they rate it for:

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Archive-High-Fidelity/70s/High-Fidelity-1976-12.pdf

heunf7bochcu.png

yr4rzkgn67z0.png

h38gtdkx6m7c.png

k07ny0cjbaay.png

George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • abescan
    Options
    Thanks for ALL the information!
    Hooked the pair of speakers up and listening to them with the RL Led Zeppelin II. Even without the IC cable they sound very good . Will order a cable tomorrow- can't wait to get it!