Second Record Store day Saturday

Options
I am after the Replacements three record set from UW Madison,1980. Good luck. D
MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”

Comments

• agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    Thanks for the heads-up/reminder--that release is on my radar as well!
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,174
    edited September 2020
    Options
    The Best of Jerry Garcia 5lp set would be nice if online prices stay reasonable on that one. It is a great collection of songs and performances (I already have it on CD). But I will wait to read reviews of the sound quality and pressing on the hoffman forum to see if the new vinyl version is an improvement over the CD version.

I got lucky and recently found the following lps online from the September 26 RSD drop for not much more than retail prices:

Sun Ra in Egypt 1971 (5 lp). This was a tough one to find. Limited to 600 copies; it sold out immeditely and copies online were selling for over $200 the day after RSD and they stayed around that price point. I was lucky and found a copy for $100 (retail price was $89) on discogs a week aftter RSD. I have bought every Sun Ra RSD release for the past 6 or 7 years so this was a must have for my Sun Ra collection.

The Who: Odds & Sods (2 lp). I heard great things about the sound quality and pressing of this one on the Hoffman forum so I bought a copy off of eBay a week ago for slightly over retail price. It just arrived yesterday but I have not played it yet. I always liked this lp and the RSD version is supposed to sound better than the original lp and it also includes extra songs.
  • pglbook
    edited September 2020
    Options
    pglbook wrote: »
    The Best of Jerry Garcia 5lp set would be nice if online prices stay reasonable on that one. It is a great collection of songs and performances (I already have it on CD). But I will wait to read reviews of the sound quality and pressing on the hoffman forum to see if the new vinyl version is an improvement over the CD version.

I got lucky and recently found the following lps online from the September 26 RSD drop for not much more than retail prices:

Sun Ra in Egypt 1971 (5 lp). This was a tough one to find. Limited to 600 copies; it sold out immeditely and copies online were selling for over $200 the day after RSD and they stayed around that price point. I was lucky and found a copy for $100 (retail price was $89) on discogs a week aftter RSD. I have bought every Sun Ra RSD release for the past 6 or 7 years so this was a must have for my Sun Ra collection.

The Who: Odds & Sods (2 lp). I heard great things about the sound quality and pressing of this one on the Hoffman forum so I bought a copy off of eBay a week ago for slightly over retail price. It just arrived yesterday but I have not played it yet. I always liked this lp and the RSD version is supposed to sound better than the original lp and it also includes extra songs.

The Sun Ra and Who lps were from the August 29 RSD drop and not the September 26 RSD drop (which of course is this upcoming Saturday).

That is what I meant to say.

• SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    Options
    There are a couple of titles I wouldn't mind having.
    Landed the ones I wanted last month. What the hey,
    I just might make the scene B)
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • pglbook
    Options
    The Essential Philip Glass (5 lp) box set also looks intriguing. However, it is already available in a 3 CD box set and I wonder if the new RSD limited lp set is just a needle drop of the CD set. I may just opt to get the 3 CD set as that is a bargain at around $25.
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    Anybody pick up anything? I did pick up the Replacements set--haven't sat down to listen to it yet, but was happy they had a copy available, as I didn't hit the store until after noon.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • pglbook
    Options
    agfrost wrote: »
    Anybody pick up anything? I did pick up the Replacements set--haven't sat down to listen to it yet, but was happy they had a copy available, as I didn't hit the store until after noon.

I picked up a copy of Wille Colon's Cosa Nuestra last night off of eBay for RSD retail price. It should be here in about 5 days. I heard excellent things about the sound quality and pressing of that one on the hoffman forum and it has always been one of my favorite albums of his. I'll post my impressions once I get it and listen to it.

The Who Odds & Sods (2 lp) from the August 29 RSD drop is fantastic. I must have listened to it 3X on Sunday. Great job all around: the sound is so clear and dynamic and the packaging is top notch. I highly recommed that one.