Me again the new guy

kyle_252
kyle_252 Posts: 47
edited June 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Any suggestions about what set up i should go with? Plz help me out with all info and prices if you want. Reviews are welcome as well.

Kyle A.K.A the new guy
Post edited by kyle_252 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2004
    Um...well since you didnt specify much of anything Ill just give you a generic system that is at a moderate budget but high performance.

Alpine 9827----$260
    Polk Audio MM6
    $300
    MTX Thunder502 [125x2]----$350
    Polk Audio MM12----$180
    MTX Thunder421 [421x1]----$300 (You can go with a 2nd Thunder 502 for 500x1 but knowing MTX that is prolly more like 575 and would be a bit much for that sub where as the 421 is prolly more around 490 which is a better match)

Assuming you have a quality install, this will sound damn good. It will have plenty of power to play very loudly and remain clean.

Polk Audio speakers rule and MTX are the best built amps on the market! They make oodles of clean power and are indestructible (A guy I used to work with claimed he once ran one at 2 ohms mono for months with no problem. One of his subs fried is the only reason he went back to 4 ohm mono)! They look a little **** but will kick your ****!

Rockford Fosgate Punch amps are on sale at SoundDomain right now and are very nice amps.

My favorite amps are JL Audio, Orion, MTX, and Alpine V12. Xtant are awesome amps but are a little low in the power and a lot high in the price. Coustic is also a great little amp for a lower price option. They are very well built and quite powerful as well.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    Well I just thought of something. That amp wont work with that sub. Polk Audio is probably the only sub maker left that doesnt have dual voice coil subs. The one I recommended is a single 4 ohm which would have that amp at only 200 rms or so. Way to little power. So I would have to ammend my recommendation and say go with the Thunder502 or the RF Punch P5002. Oh and RF amps are not on sale at SoundDomain anymore either. They were last night tho.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited June 2004
    isnt polk coming out with dvc shortly?

hey kyle, what kind of budget do you have? cause you can get set up with $500 or $5000+
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2004
    yes theyre coming out, but the only ones ive seen/heard about were DCV DB subs...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    hey kyle, what kind of budget do you have? cause you can get set up with $500 or $5000+

Hmmm...$5000 eh?

Alpine 9835---$550
    Focal Utopia 6.5 components---$1100
    JL Audio 300/2---$430
    JL Audio 12W7---$750
    JL Audio 1000/1---$1000

Then an assortment of top-of-the-line Streetwires all the way around with disto blocks and 1/0 guage wires to boot. Some building materials for the sub box, various installation materials like vibe dampening and some beer money should put ya around $4800 or so.

I could change it around some but pretty much the only other thing I would get would be Tru Technology amps or maybe Braxx. Other than that, I could die happy!

• exalted512
    edited June 2004
    ill tell ya what you can do with $5000 worth of JL equipment...:D
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2004
    hmm... i could step it up to a second w7, plus mobile video - the good stuff - downgrade from utopia to k2, and be quite happy :)

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • kyle_252
    kyle_252 Posts: 47
    edited June 2004
    Yeah no more than $400 with everything put in. If possible 2 subs not just one. But ill go with just about any set up thanks guys sorry for all the trouble.

New Guy
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    ill tell ya what you can do with $5000 worth of JL equipment...:D
    -Cody

ROFLMAO!!! :p
    I love it! I like to throw out JL every now and then just to see your response!! ;)

Oh yeah theyre a ton of variations. This would just be my favorite. Im not much of a bass head so 1 W7 with 1000 RMS will be WAY plenty for me! ;)

Id rather save on the sub and amp and put that towards the best set of components I can get. Utopias or Dynaudios or the like.

As far as mobile video goes, I couldnt care less. Ill leave that stuff to the rap videos.

• exalted512
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by kyle_252
    Yeah no more than $400 with everything put in. If possible 2 subs not just one. But ill go with just about any set up thanks guys sorry for all the trouble.

New Guy
    $400...that wont get you two subs...
    thatll get you 12" JBL GTO sub
    a 4 channel profile amp
    db coaxials all the way around
    and a wiring kit
    youd have to build your own box
    -Cody
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited June 2004
    did i just miss something or did macleod say mtx was clean????

I'm very confused now.....
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2004
    no, he did... me muy confusedo now too...

• AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by MTXMAN
    did i just miss something or did macleod say mtx was clean????
    No, he's actually coming along quite nicely now. He's recommending more than 50Wpc for MM6's, he recognizes that MTX sounds great...pretty soon he's going to be dissing JL. I'd say within a couple weeks :)
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2004
    nah, i'll give him the willpower to resist that one for at least another month :p

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited June 2004
    If you favor quality over quantity and buy equipment with that in mind, I find that quantity is usually tagging right along behind quality.

I think I would forgoe all the MTX, Alpine and JL crap and the stuff that is totally out of the price range too.

I'd stick with Paul's Speaker reccomendations and get the db650's from sounddomain.com for 100 bucks. Get a single Polk MM2104 for now for about 120 bucks. The I'd get the Hifonics Warrior Eagle for 115 bucks and a Hifonics Nemesis NX400 for 160 bucks.

That leaves you room for improvement when you get enough cash for a set of rear speakers and a 2nd sub if you are interested. Total cost would be just under 500 bucks. Your 400 dollar budget is very tight to be able to do what you want for it.

All that is totally worthless though because you have yet to tell anyone what kind of car you drive. That can vary the price by 50 dollars or more.

So make with the detailed info if you want a serious answer.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by AustinKP
    No, he's actually coming along quite nicely now. He's recommending more than 50Wpc for MM6's, he recognizes that MTX sounds great...pretty soon he's going to be dissing JL. I'd say within a couple weeks :)

That does it! Ive taken enough abuse! Its time to set the record straight and put a stop to the sullying of my good name! :p

On dissing JL, dont hold your breath. I will always sing the praises of JL Audio!! They are the only company that makes great everything! Amps, speakers and subs are all top notch. They are the only manufactuer that I would proudly use all their products and not worry about a thing!!

And for the record, I never recommended 50 watts for the MM6. I was coming down on the 100 watt and below range but now realize that the MMs are not your typical speaker and need more juice. Ive never been against more power, I just dont think you have to have 250 watts per channel to make a speaker sound good. I believe to just go with what theyre rated at. If theyre rated at 150 rms then thats what they need. If its 75 then so be it. There is a point where more wattage doesnt make it sound any better, just louder.

I admit to doing a 180 on MTX, so ya got me there. Ive always liked their gear and thought their amps were bullet proof with awesome construction, but jumped on the "MTX are dirty" bandwagon. It wasnt until I actually listened to a couple at CC showrooms and in a car here and there and was quite impressed.

• exalted512
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    On dissing JL, dont hold your breath.
    yea, i dont think hes going to diss JL...hes a tough cookie
    lol
    JL makes good stuff
    there, i said it
    but its so freakin overpriced its RETARDED
    if i can get a 10w7 with warranty for $300, theres a good possibility id get it
    but the day the 10w7 sells for $300 with a warranty is the day hell freezes over...
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2004
    i thought it was already frozen over... i mean, those pix were up in two days... man, hell's gonna be one great ski resort if jl drops prices that low :D

• MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    OK, so JL Audio sucks because their W7 is too expensive? So by that logic:

JL Audio 10W7 - $550...........JL sucks
    Diamond Audio TDX 10 - $600......Diamond Audio sucks more
    Treo Engineering CSX 10.22 - $650.....Never heard of em but they suck
    Orion H2 10 - $700.....Yep, Orion sucks too
    Morel Elate SW 10 - $750....Morel sucks a lot
    Focal 27WX (11") - $950....Focal really sucks
    Pyle PLEW 10 (their top of the line) - $75....Pyle RULES!!! :p

• exalted512
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    OK, so JL Audio sucks because their W7 is too expensive?
    no, not just the W7, their amps, and their speakers are too expensive too
    ive said it before, they make good stuff...they just price it retardly(is that a word?) high
    the other subs you listed are mainly for either SQ or SPL, i think the Diamond is the only one that does is SQL like the w7
    and all of them do a better job in either SQ or SPL respectively
    well...SQ is more of what your preferences are though...but ive heard the diamond and i like it better than the w7, granted it was 2 different installs, but both were by shops in either dallas or san antonio, i forgot, but anyway they were both made for SQ
    but i dont hate JL because theyre too expensive, i hate them because they overpriced, not only the W7
    Originally posted by Exalted512
    but its so freakin overpriced its RETARDED
    see?
    theres a difference
    focal components, the TOTL ones are expensive, but i wouldnt accuse them of being overpriced
    and for the record, i would never buy any of those subs you just named except for maybe the Orion, you can get those for pretty cheap some places
    if you want loud, go RE ****
    if you want loud SQ, go Adire Brahma
    if you want loud SQ for cheaper than the Brahma, go Image Dynamics Max
    the only JL product I might consider buying are the XR components...i think its the XR, theyre not horribly priced, still kinda high, but not bad
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    I hear ya bro, I just dont think they are overpriced. The amps are competitive with anything else in their power/quality range.

JL Audio 75x4 - $475
    Xtant 50x4 - $550
    Polk Audio 75x4 - $600
    Rockford Fosgate Punch 100x4 - $600
    Orion 100x4 - $500
    Precision Power 75x4 - $600

Now their E series is very competitively priced. Most of those are $300 or below. The only performance differences between the two series are a full range crossover and the Slash series are fully regulated.

As far as subs, the W7s are the only super priced ones. The W6 is in the $300's and the W3 is in the sub $200's.

I guess it all depends on what you think sounds good. I have used JL and have always thought they sounded great and consider them to be worth the cash.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree...or agree that Im right...whichever :p

• exalted512
    edited June 2004
    ill agree to disagree
    but im still right
    :D
    -Cody