Now I have all the important stuff in my shed/shop

2»

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    edited September 2020
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    afterburnt wrote: »
    @mhardy6647 are you running "mini splits" ? If so which ones?

Yeppers. Mitsubishi High-Efficency (H2I). We now have two outside units (three inside) now, mostly for A/C but also for milder weather heat and as a backup in case anything bad happens to the boiler (or if we run outta propane). Electricity comes from the sun (mostly), so they're basically cost-free to run, and quiet, too.

Here's a not particularly good photo of the current install (don't mind the weeds).
    I told Mrs. H that our house has become the energy equivalent of a mullet. Business in the front, party in the back.

l4erdznzv8cr.jpg

SWEET! I love your house, very Colonial, is it vintage? I'm getting the Mitsubishi A6M hyper heats installed next week ( I hope ) The raunchy cats should love it. I am just gonna live in the shed, it's cozy and got to cost me ten grand by now.

Is your solar an "off the grid" set up?
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Do you have a runway at your place? This is the only Mitsubishi A6M I know of.

k5jwdbone1tu.jpg
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    @mhardy6647 are you running "mini splits" ? If so which ones?

Yeppers. Mitsubishi High-Efficency (H2I). We now have two outside units (three inside) now, mostly for A/C but also for milder weather heat and as a backup in case anything bad happens to the boiler (or if we run outta propane). Electricity comes from the sun (mostly), so they're basically cost-free to run, and quiet, too.

Here's a not particularly good photo of the current install (don't mind the weeds).
    I told Mrs. H that our house has become the energy equivalent of a mullet. Business in the front, party in the back.

l4erdznzv8cr.jpg

SWEET! I love your house, very Colonial, is it vintage? I'm getting the Mitsubishi A6M hyper heats installed next week ( I hope ) The raunchy cats should love it. I am just gonna live in the shed, it's cozy and got to cost me ten grand by now.

Is your solar an "off the grid" set up?

Not off the grid (well... not yet, anyway) -- it's a net metering setup. About (nominally) 6 kW worth of panels on the roof and solar pre-heat for the domestic hot water up there, too.
    Party on! :)
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,271
    A pure-play heat pump does its heat exchanging with a compressible gas (some sort of chlorofluorcarbon -- the ozone-friendly, modern cousin of old-school Freon) and doesn't require humidity. It's basically an air conditioner that can run in either direction, as required, to bring the air temperature to a desired set point.

Ours will work with modest efficiency (60 percent) down to something like -20 degrees F. I am a big fan (no pun intended... well... not really, anyway).

Heat pumps are pretty neat, I wish they worked at lower temperature, being I live in Michigan I would need electric heat alongside the heat pump.
  • fish357
    fish357 Posts: 304
    invalid wrote: »
    A pure-play heat pump does its heat exchanging with a compressible gas (some sort of chlorofluorcarbon -- the ozone-friendly, modern cousin of old-school Freon) and doesn't require humidity. It's basically an air conditioner that can run in either direction, as required, to bring the air temperature to a desired set point.

Ours will work with modest efficiency (60 percent) down to something like -20 degrees F. I am a big fan (no pun intended... well... not really, anyway).

Heat pumps are pretty neat, I wish they worked at lower temperature, being I live in Michigan I would need electric heat alongside the heat pump.

Heat pumps are equipped with electric coils that heat up to aid in ambient heat transference.
  • afterburnt
    @invalid Hyper Heats are supposed to work down to -13
  • mhardy6647

That is correct (actually even a bit lower, if memory serves), and I can vouch for them empirically :) -- they do NOT have auxillary electric (resistive) heat! If you live someplace really cold, you do need backup. We get below -10 or so just a few nights a year (and we have whole house hot water heat of various kinds).
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,271

I need one of these for my audio room. I been using an electric heater in the winter and a window air conditioner in the summer. I leave my audio gear on all the time, so it heats the room in the fall and spring pretty well.
  • mhardy6647

I need one of these for my audio room. I been using an electric heater in the winter and a window air conditioner in the summer. I leave my audio gear on all the time, so it heats the room in the fall and spring pretty well.

That's a big 10-4.

mbydwz2bblyg.jpg

• afterburnt

I just realized I could have saved the money on the 5th mini split by leaving my hot **** Emo monoblocks on all winter and installing the window ac unit that's sitting on the floor for summer.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    edited September 2020
    Spending a bit of time in the bike cave today. Building my Salsa Timberjack back up for more of a “townie bike”.

AKA, bike I can drunkenly ride around on...

I’ll save my better bikes for when I’m sober.

y0i09a8f6z19.jpeg