B&K Reference 7250ll five channel

Options
2»

Comments

• fish357
    fish357 Posts: 304
    Options
    Actually, I saw three guys from Indy in a thread about the indy500.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    I've powered some LSI 15s with a b&k I got off of @scubalab . I think it's a 125.2. Was a great match IMHO. I think you will be happy with that 5 channel b&k powering your LSI set-up
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    @indyhawg too

Al is a putz...

Shut up Russ! >:)
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Anyone who thinks Parasound is better than B&K is a fool. They are both great platforms to start the journey. I do know that the Reference 50 matches well with their amps. (Go figure eh?). They also open up with a good tube pre.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • fish357
    Options
    I texted the guy about the craigslist amp, no reply. Sigh
  • fish357
    Options
    @Emlyn and @msg- I did see that other one on eBay, but I can’t justify parting with a cool stack of Benjamin’s right now.
    Have to keep on searching.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited September 2020
    Options
    scubalab wrote: »
    Check with Dan @EndersShadow - he’s in Indiana, and is the person who ‘persuaded’ me to buy my B&K 200.7. He has (or had) a B&K 200.5.

I am, and it’s is HAVE. No plans to let it leave unless I find a 200.7 (and I’d still keeep it because).

I have service manuals and you can buy some parts from ATI for them. I blew a channel in mine and a local repair shop fixed it for about 125 IIRC.

I keep an AC Infinity S8 fan on top mine to keep air moving through it so it doesn’t get AS warm but it’s fine without.

Lastly, @lightman1 nailed it @scubalab IS a putz.... :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • fish357
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Evenin’ folks, is Sunfire a good brand of amplifier?
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I have a Sunfire TGA-5400 in my home theatre. Bought it new 10 or so years ago, and it still works and sounds good.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • EndersShadow
    edited September 2020
    Options
    fish357 wrote: »
    Evenin’ folks, is Sunfire a good brand of amplifier?

Yes but older Sunfire amps are at and age they really should be refreshed and that can be costly as not just anyone should work on them. Also not sure of parts availability.

Old being the Cinema Grand models....

The TGAs should be good for many years.

If you post a link we can give you better advice as quite a few here have run them.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • audioluvr
    Options
    Oh there's still a few really good refresh tech's out there.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • EndersShadow
    edited September 2020
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Oh there's still a few really good refresh tech's out there.

Yes but it’s pricey as it should be (quality costs)... and I don’t know if some parts have become unobtanium.

Plus none near IN. Rolland (former Sunfire employee) is in WA and not sure who else does those.

Greg in MI doesn’t do Sunfire, just Carver. Lots of the carver techs won’t touch Sunfire so honestly I’d only trust Rolland off the top of my head. Plus IIRC Rolland has the actual schematics and service upgrade schematics.

@daddyjt might know...
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    la2vegas wrote: »
    Iirc @daddyjt is also unobtanium. :/

WTH! When did that happen?
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    la2vegas wrote: »
    Iirc @daddyjt is also unobtanium. :/

WTH! When did that happen?

He threw a temper tantrum and quit. Same reason @treitz3 hasn't been around most of the summer.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • fish357
    Options
    Audiophiles are a fickle bunch, eh? I don’t know any of these people, you guys realize this, yes? Ha
    Another friend works for a local av place, and has offered to try and get me a new Behringer amp for 300. No idea about any details as of yet.
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    Audiophiles are a fickle bunch, eh? I don’t know any of these people, you guys realize this, yes? Ha
    Another friend works for a local av place, and has offered to try and get me a new Behringer amp for 300. No idea about any details as of yet.
    Pass on it. If you are going pro amp at least go Crown (have both, used both for subs).... still prefer B&K hands down.
  • fish357
    Options
    Thanks. I’ve heard of them too, but
    I’m a poor boy with expensive tastes, that’s always been my problem.
    The other problem is that I don’t know good from bad yet.
    Think I’m getting a good idea though.
    I’ll continue to shop for B&K, Parasound, or another one I’ve been eyeballing is Outlaw.
    Any good?
  • EndersShadow
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Thanks. I’ve heard of them too, but
    I’m a poor boy with expensive tastes, that’s always been my problem.
    The other problem is that I don’t know good from bad yet.
    Think I’m getting a good idea though.
    I’ll continue to shop for B&K, Parasound, or another one I’ve been eyeballing is Outlaw.
    Any good?

Some brands to look at:

B&K
    Parasound
    Outlaw
    Anthem
    Rotel
    Carver (if refreshed)
    Sunfire (if TGA or a refreshed Cinema)

If you have to go pro amp:
    Crown
    QSC

Avoid:
    Behringer

What Polks are you driving?
  • fish357
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I think I mentioned it somewhere, but a pair of LSi25’s, LSiC, and a pair of LSi7’s.
    What do you mean by pro amp?
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    I think I mentioned it somewhere, but a pair of LSi25’s, LSiC, and a pair of LSi7’s.

Pro amp means an amp usually used by bands touring.

Behringer, Crown and QSC are those types of brands.

What Behringer were you talking about?
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    You won’t be happy with a pro amp with those speakers
  • audioluvr
    Options

Amps designed to be played LOUD not for critical listening. As for amps, be patient and stick around, some great deal will eventually fall on to your lap.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Dan,

Roland never worked at Sunfire afaik.
    I believe you are thinking of Bill. He's excellent, trustworthy and will chat your legs off.
    http://www.flannerysvintageaudio.com/

Bob Carver gave him everything and he knows them inside out.

Roland is also excellent more Carver maybe but still I've used him many times. A very busy man and stands behind his work like Bill. Both schooled by Bob Carver

https://carveraudiorepair.com/hitechaudioltd/workmod.html
  • fish357
    Options

audioluvr wrote: »

Amps designed to be played LOUD not for critical listening. As for amps, be patient and stick around, some great deal will eventually fall on to your lap.

Oh, I’m in no real rush, I’ve been listening to them this way for seven years.