DVD-r MP3 playing head unit?

lonwa
lonwa Posts: 83
edited June 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hello,

since dvd video players are so popular for video watching in cars now-a-days, has any manufacturer decided to build a head unit which can read MP3s off of a dvd-r (dvd+r)?

I really want to get rid of my 12 disc changer, and if I can replace it with such a dvd head unit, I could put in theory almost 40 cds worth of music on one DVD-r disc if I used 160 bit mp3s.

I have not found any such item, so I thought I would ask if anyone has heard of it coming out, or maybe saw it at one of the electronics shows.

Thanks

Lonwa
Sometimes good command decisions get compromised by bad emotional responses."
Post edited by lonwa on

Comments

• mbdyer12
    mbdyer12 Posts: 220
    edited June 2004
    Well, I'm not sure about this but I would have imagined dvd playing head units would read mp3s off dvds but I've never owned one so I dont know :(

A modded xbox under the seat works best :D

I'm gunna be buying another xbox soon, modding it and sticking a 60 gig drive in it, then toss it under the passenger seat and put in a 7.2" screen in each of the sunvisors... woo. I cant wait.
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited June 2004
    in the visors? then you have to stare up... perhaps do a custom dashboard and mount them in a rotating panel there... so you can push it down and it's flush with the top of the dash, then push it again to release it, and it rotates upwards, revealing a screen just below eye level on the dash. just an idear...

or instead of an xbox, perhaps a computer? lots o' functionality there if you do it right, but mostly just for "i have something you don't" brags.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2004
    i need $80k
    just thought id add that in
    it will cover a new truck, lifted on 35s, things to help out the drive train, performance upgrades, and of course...a sick **** system
    plus screens and a PS2:D
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    also, i think vehicles should come stock with alternators that can support 5Kw systems at no expense to power of the engine
    whos with me!?!
    -Cody-Proud member of AAWAA
    audiophiles againt weak **** alternators
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2004
    and they should hover too!!

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    and they should hover too!!
    now that you mention it...
    -Cody-proud member of AAWAA
  • mbdyer12
    edited June 2004
    The visors would actually only be slightly higher than eye level... not bad, plus i'd just recline a little bit. It wouldn't inconvenient because I'd only be using it when I'm parked. Its also great for a steath install. As far as putting a PC in the car....I have a good 25-30 games for xbox and it would just be so much easier to have and manage. Linux on Xbox is easy to install too. Chances are I'll have both Linux (theres usb adapters for controller ports so I could plug in a USB keyboard and mouse) and my normal xbox and games. My xbox in my room already has a web browser, text editor, media player (basically windows media player) and looks cool. Plus its only $150 now. A PC would be five times as much.
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    maybe they should call this the "Express your worthless ideas here for others to read, make fun of, and add on" Forum?
    hell....that could be the first post...lol
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    maybe they should call this the "Express your worthless ideas here for others to read, make fun of, and add on" Forum?
    hell....that could be the first post...lol
    -Cody
    i like it!

mbdyer - well, in that case... :D i didnt think about the linux bit

• mbdyer12
    edited June 2004
    Yeah, worthless ideas are priceless...ha...ha.
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by mbdyer12
    Yeah, worthless ideas are priceless...ha...ha.
    actually ill sell all mine
    starting bid is $2.00...any takers?
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2004
    ooh! ooh! me! do i get a pink elephant too?

• MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited June 2004
    lmao

hey here's an idea, we could make a crappy electronics store and call it Circuit City... no wait... someone beat us to it... dangit
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • mbdyer12
    edited June 2004
    I coulda sworn Circuit City was a mental institution...
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by MTXMAN
    lmao

hey here's an idea, we could make a crappy electronics store and call it Circuit City... no wait... someone beat us to it... dangit
    no no no...
    we could make a crappy place that makes speakers and name it JL!
    damn....someone beat us to that too...
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2004
    oh no, here he goes again...

OR, we could totally pervert a decent product line into car audio and name it sony!! or has that been done too??

• bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited June 2004
    Yea, what the hell happened to Sony?? They used to make some of the best CD players for cars, but now they're quite tame and boring (as far as cool things like optical out, external crossovers and EQs, etc).

And looks like I'll be buying a PS2 for the third time in the next month or two so I can get Gran Turismo 4. Why the third time you ask? I bought a PS2 two times in college, and each time had to give it up due to addictive games... specifically Grand Theft Auto 3 and Vice City.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2004
    heres another idea for a stealth install, one which im going to try to do soon. Take a swivel arm and mount it to the inside of the glove box, and have a 6" or so tv screen on the other end of the arm. this way, you close the glove box, and no tv, open it and pull it out when you want. hopefully i will be doing this with a ps2 under the passenger seat.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2004
    ooh, i like the glove box idea, cept then there's not much space left in it. eh, it'd be worth it.

hey bknauss - don't you think that gt4 will get addictive too? cause i can sure testify that gt3-A-spec is... and where'd the other 2 ps2's go?

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2004
    it was just my thoughts, i dont know how well it would work/fit, but my glove box is pretty big, and the glove box its self is stationary, only the cover moves, if you get what im saying
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing