Why did I blow my mids?

jbowl
jbowl Posts: 72
edited May 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I think I fried my mids today. Fresh install.
Playing Tool at moderate volume, POP.

When installing the guy mounted the crossovers high and under my dash, hid them very well. Of course in doing so, he disconnected the wires to the tweeters! I don't think he noticed since he left the stock front tweeters still wired.

It sounded horrible to me and once I snipped the stock tweeters it obviously sounded even worse.

I don't know if this is related to me blowing the mids (before I discovered the tweeters were disconnected) or not.

Another interesting point - Most first thoughts would be that I over drove the speakers (but it wasn't THAT loud). But, the cruddy stock rears were connected to the HU and they're fine.

Any thoughts?

HU KDC-X579
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/product.jsp?productId=2567

Amp
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/product.jsp?productTypeId=11&sortBy=price&productId=2425

Speakers 15-MCSQ6.5
http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/public/MClass%20Separate%20Component%20Speakers.pdf
Post edited by jbowl on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2004
    do you have a fuse somewhere on the power wire?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • xSupaKx
    xSupaKx Posts: 12
    edited May 2004
    how old are your speakers? Sounds like you didnt let your speakers break-in before them hard. Youre supposed to play at ~30% volume daily for the first 10 days, then ~50% volume daily for the next 7 days, and that should allow the suspension in the speakers to break-in. The suspension on new speakers are too stiff to be played at moderate-high volumes. You have to soften them first.
  • jbowl
    jbowl Posts: 72
    edited May 2004
    I just took a look at the driver's side hookup

The crossover highs were connected to the speaker's lows.
    The crossover lows were connected to the speaker's highs with reverse polarity.

I'm not even sure what sound this setup in theory should produce. It's no wonder I didn't like it.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2004
    who installed it for you?
    was it a shop?
    if so, take it back, make em fix it
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2004
    Definitely take it back to whomever installed it for you and slap them! Crossing up the X-overs like that will have high frequencies coming thru your mid, which you would sound like thin crap. Your tweeters would probably fry from all the low end frequencies they were being fed. The fact that it was wired like this is not what you should be most concerned with but the fact that it went unoticed!!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited May 2004
    yah, a shop like that... take it back, make them give you new stuff and a refund, then take it somewhere else. i would fear a shop that cant wire an xover right.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs