No sound from speakers...help please!

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited May 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have recently installed a fosgate amp and 2 pioneer subs. I wired everything up correctly and everything turns on. The head unit comes on, plays CDs, amp comes on, and the subs put out music/bass....Only problem is, my speakers have no sound!...no hissing, no static, nothing!...i didn't touch any speaker wires while installing, and i checked for any loose connections and found nothing!...someone please help me!
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2004
    Gonna need a little more info bro. Do you have everything running off a single amp? If so then is it a 2 channel or 4 and how did you wire them up? Mono or stereo? Do you have the speakers running off the head unit? What kind of equipment are you running? Older RF amps or the new stuff?

This will help us in troubleshooting fer ya.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2004
    the way it sounds, he has his speakers running off the head unit and the amp is only powering his subs
    if you checked the speakers wires at the back of the head unit and at the speaker and nothing is loose, then i would have to assume something is messed up with the radio
    do you have any extra speakers laying around?
    even like one for a stereo in your room? or if you replaced the stock speakers and you still have them...i would the headunit out, cut one of the speaker wires and hook it up to the speaker, if the speaker doesnt work, then id say your headunit is done...if it does work, id rewire all your speakers...but for the wiring to be messed up on all four speakers(assuming you have four speakers) is pretty unlikely unless you pulled your head unit out too hard?
    umm...has anyone ever heard of a fuse blowing inside the headunit?
    i havent, but i guess that could be a possibility
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Systems
    edited May 2004
    sorry if i screw this part up but...
    Here is the link to my amp...

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/ez2rockford/ModelInfo/ModelInfo.asp?ItemKey=10063526&CategoryDesc=Punch%20Amplifiers

its powering 2 pioneer subs, 300watts ea.

the speaker wires run directly from head unit to the speakers themselves. and its a pioneer head unit deh-1400
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2004
    Nice amp.

Well if thats the case then Cody is right. The problem is either in your head unit or wiring to the speakers.

It could be something simple like a negative wire has been skinned a little and is touching something metal. I once forgot to hook up the neg wire on 1 out of 4 speakers and it worked itself onto one of the screws and nothing came thru any of the speakers except for a thump every 10 seconds or so. Took me hours to figure that one out! :rolleyes:

I dont know about Pioneer but my Alpine head unit has a feature where you can deactivate the HU's amp if youre not using it. You may check to see if the Pioneer has this feature and then check to see if it has been deactivated by accident or something.

Ive never heard of a HU fuse blowing either but it does seem the HU is the most likely culprit.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited May 2004
    or, it could be like my hu: when i use the preouts for the front channel from the hu, it doesn't play thru the speaker-level outputs. that is, when i amped my fronts, it automagically cut out my rears. mebbe this could be it?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    you amped your front speakers and your back speakers quit working?
    thats ****
    what kind of head unit do you have?
    -Cody
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by Confuzedcarguy
    ...pioneer head unit deh-1400
    Have you tried unplugging the rca to the amp to see if the speakers start working again?
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    actually i was asking neo...im not sure if my head unit does that or not, i dont think i ever used the amp on the deck, my old JVC would run rear speakers with my front speakers amped though
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited May 2004
    i did shut off the hu's amp when i amped the fronts... that could perhaps have done it :p
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    lol...that might do it...
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited May 2004
    yeah, i did unpluggin the rca cables from the amp...nothin...so i decided to take an old speaker...wirely it directly to the harness, and guess what...sound. So im guessing its the wires..im just gonna rewire all 4 and be done with it, thanks for the help
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing