Last chance to save me from making a mistake...

Options
AustinKP
AustinKP Posts: 861
edited May 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ok, so as most of you know, I currently have a pair of MM6's running off my Alpine 9815. Thanks to a competition I just won at work (2 Walmart Mountain bikes, 2 helmets, and a lock. Grand total: $193), I finally have enough money to get an amp for my comps. I'd like to order it tomorrow so I can end this forever wait! :) I've been looking at this amp , a Monitor 1 2x120W RMS amp that is selling for $150. MM6's take 150W, but I'm assuming this amp is pretty underrated. My question is: is there a better amp for the money, or is this a steal like the website says? Please note that this amp has no built-in crossover. However, my HU has one, and I think it works pretty well. Also, is this a reputable company? How good is that warranty through Arc audio? Thanks so much in advance for your responses...
-Austin

p.s. Yes, I know, I've kind of asked this before, but "measure twice, cut once"
http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
Post edited by AustinKP on

Comments

• AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Ok, on the caraudioforum, someone recommended this Autotek amp. Is that any good? Is there a Hifonics alternative that would be better?
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited May 2004
    Options
    I've never heard of monitor, but that doesn't mean they don't make good stuff... also doesn't mean they don't make crap either.

I wouldn't assume any amp is underrated unless the company has a reputation for underrating amps. And even then, I like to see cold hard numbers through tests :) I would get something around 150-200W RMS at most. Your ears are going to be bleeding if you play something at 150W RMS for a long time (at least my ears started hurting pretty badly when I would crank the volume up with my 150Wx2 amp).

Autotek seems to get good reviews from everyone I've ever seen use them. If those reviews are correct, they seem to be one of the best bang for the buck companies out there.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2004
    Options
    As far as power, the MM6 are rated at 150 but that doesnt mean that is the only power they will work best at. Anywhere near that will be fine. You will reach a point where more power doesnt make a speaker sound any better it just shortens its life span. I would say for the MM6 that 150 is the max rms and that 100 would be the least you should go and still get all the best out of the speaker.

Ive never heard of Monitor and so Im a little leary of them.

I dont like Autotek. FIrst off the name alone sounds cheap but more than that Ive heard more than a few people bitching about theirs.

$200 is gonna be tough to get to with the power requirements but Ill give it a shot. Try this Rockford Fosgate Power 451S. Plenty of power and well built.

There is this Hifonics ZX4000 which puts out 100 rms which it prolly more like 115 which is adequette.

Your budget is kind of tight and keeps you from the better stuff. I would recommend hanging on to the $200 you have now and saving up another $100 or so then youll be in business! $300 opens up the door to a whole other league. For instance you can have this Orion 4004 which is a 4 channel thats underrated at 50x4 (more like 65x4). This is an awesome amp and you can bi-amp your MM6's and it will be great. You can get it from Main Street Audio for $300 if you want an authorized dealer. Or if you really want to get into the big leagues there is this Precision Power PCX480. This is another 4 channel but you would have to be careful with the gains as this thing puts out close to 100x4!!

These are just a couple examples of how much better equipment you could have if you can just hang out a little longer and scrounge up an extra $100.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Ive always heard mixed reviews of Monitor 1, on one hand ive heard they are good for the money, on the other hand ive heard they sucked and they should not even be related to Zapco
    ive never had personal experience with one though
    but after looking at the specs and caught a look at the input sensitivity id be weary...most amps can take up to 8voltsrms, that one takes 2...
    id call monitor and ask first...
    if it is 2, everytime you turn it up its going to clip because the 9915 has 4v preouts correct?
    if it does, youd have to keep the gain all the way down to prevent it from clipping but i think you would still probably hear clipping
    personally, i wouldnt get it...it doesnt even have crossovers...
    ive heard mostly good things about autotek...ive even recommended them a few times
    but i remember Thomas(trappedunderice) saying that he bought one and was not pleased with it at all...so i dont know
    and if that amp ever blows and its under warranty...DO NOT SEND IT BACK TO THEZEB, send it back to autotek...thezeb has great prices but have the SHITTIEST customer service, especially in the return dept, that i have ever seen in my entire life
    if it were me...id save my pennies and buy this
    its $239 off of acaraudio.com, but sounddomain usually will beat their price so you can probably get it around $215ish with free shipping
    i think you will be happiest with that amp even if it does mean shelling out a few extra bucks
    dont skimp out on an amp, save up and get the Hifonics:D
    oo...and i didnt win the car so wont have the same car...lol
    man...i was already making plans for a custom install in the trunk!
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by exalted512
    i wouldnt get it...it doesnt even have crossovers...

Neither does my US Amps TU-600, what are you saying here cody :p

jk man, had to give you a hard time for that one, i know the two amps are in completely diff leagues and in that league u want a x-over
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by MTXMAN
    Neither does my US Amps TU-600, what are you saying here cody :p

jk man, had to give you a hard time for that one, i know the two amps are in completely diff leagues and in that league u want a x-over
    yeah....you just compared a $500+amp to a $150 amp...
    the people at USAmps are thinking if youre going to be buying their stuff...youll probably be buying an equalizer as well or have a headunit with some kick **** crossover options
    good to have you back, long time no hear
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    Options
    actually i take that back, thats comparing a $750 amp to a $500 amp
    did the 600 come with a birth sheet?
    if so, what did it say?
    -Cody
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited May 2004
    Options
    no no birth-sheet... :(

it sounds absolutely gorgeous though, incredibly detailed and louder too :D

i've been a busy boy, i hope to be able to get back to posting frequently...

btw do you think the xover for my mm6 comp sets is gonna be suffecient or do i need capicators inline to the speakers? if so what rating do i need to keep my mm6's from playing frequencies they're not supposed to??
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    Options
    i cross mine over at 55ishHz
    but i do that on the amp
    does your head unit have a crossover in it?
    really anything up to 80Hz is perfect
    more than 80 your bass might sound like its coming from the back, but if you dont mind that, then go to 100
    for that amp, theres no need to go above 100
    preferrably anything b/t 60-80Hz
    as far as what capacitors, i have no idea
    lol
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited May 2004
    Options
    id think that the provided xovers would be quite sufficient
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs