K-TEL records

Recently picked up a compilation of Seals and Crofts, basically their best known tunes. I must say I surprised on the sound quality of this record. Didn't expect much from a company known for their infomercials.
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Didn't realize they were still in buisness.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    edited July 2020
    Where else would I have been able to hear "The Night Chicago Died" by Paper Lace and "Seasons in the Sun" by Terry Jacks whenever I wanted back in 1974 without K-Tel Records®?
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    Wow, the only K-Tel recording I have is "Hooked on Classics" from the 80's. Didn't realize they were still around either...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,135
    edited July 2020
    This one terrorized me as a kid. John Williams from Family Affair. I'm sure you recognize this lovely melody, Stranger in Paradise... but did you know that the original theme is from the Polovtsian Dance No. 2 by Borodin?......ahhhhhhh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=SIMFhPyNKDs&feature=emb_logo

cfpha4m2hn14.png
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Several of the Seals and Crofts' records were engineered by Stephen Barncard, one of the best.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,961
    Didn't mean to imply this is a recent release. Bought it used although it's in great condition(other than the inner lyrics sheet).
    Ken, would that be for Dawnbreaker Music (BMI)?
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    I've picked-up a few used K-Tel records over the last couple years, and they seem fine to me. I doubt they did the pressings themselves, but rather compiled the songs and contracted out the actual record production.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    From what I gather Stephen was an independent recording engineer, he recorded The Dead (American Beauty), David Crosby (If I Could Only Remember My Name) as well as Seals and Crofts, New Riders of the Purple Sage and others. I try and collect his recordings whenever I can. He also posts on the Ampex board and describes the studio gear he's built over the years.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,923
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Where else would I have been able to hear "The Night Chicago Died" by Paper Lace and "Seasons in the Sun" by Terry Jacks whenever I wanted back in 1974 without K-Tel Records®?

"whenever I wanted"... it is to laugh.

B)
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Remember doing some garage sale-ing with my family in 1980; picked up this classic (?) for two bits. If memory serves, both discs were in the sleeve with nary a dust jacket to be found, just rubbing the great tracks of side 1 directly onto the great tracks of side 3... Might still be knocking around at my parents' house, come to think of it!

8n3799qvc5lt.jpg
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288

dynamite yes?

I have it on lp and i think 8-track
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    erniejade wrote: »

dynamite yes?

I have it on lp and i think 8-track

Yes! That is Ko-Rect!