Which replacement tweeters should I get for my SDA-CRS's, single tweeter, pin -blade?

The title says it all.
Thanks.

I tried searching the forum and got nothing but RD0194 threads.
Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.

Comments

• dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,180
    edited June 2020
    Unless you plan on upgrading the crossovers the 194 is the replacement. TL them and you can use the 198.I have a set here waiting to do the TL upgrade.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited June 2020
    Thank you. ;)

I'll get a set of RD0194 for now. :)
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,180
    You’re welcome. I can’t wait to get time to do mine, :)
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    4.1TL Upgrade=GOOD sound. Well worth the effort

Tony, do your research before you start buying parts. If you're going to go the whole nine yards (4.1TL upgrade) on them, you'll need different (RD0198) tweeters and some different value/extra caps and resistors. If you're going to just upgrade the tweeters or tweeters and a full swapping out of the caps and resistors, you will use the RD0194 tweeters and caps/resistors that match the ones, value-wise that are on your boards now. Also, you'll want a small value resistor (0.5 Ohm?) to replace the polyswitch with either the 198 or the 194 tweeter upgrade.
  • Tony M

I've been reading for years that TL'ing Polks is the way to go IF the set is able to be upgraded to that level.

I thought the pin/blade models could take the famous RD-0198 tweeter but I have forgotten until yesterday that cross-overs had to be changed too.

I'm in no way ready to change out these CRS's cross-overs at the moment. Skill wise and work space limits me now. I want to learn and hone my skills on a couple of other "component exact replacement" jobs on my Braun's and next will be the Polk RTi12's tweeter resistor repair. I have plenty of other Polk speakers the RD-0194's can go to if and when I TL these beauties. The other night, during my listening fun with a few sets of fine speakers, I heard distortion coming from both CRS tweeters. I've heard good SL2000's or whatever these are, and I know that chalkboard sound too. I didn't like what I heard from the CRS's tweeters compared to some other speakers' tweeters.

I've still got the stimulus money so why not. I'll have these hooked up for a while so I'm going right now to order 2 of those 0194s.

I have the SDA2's cross-over to look at too. Maybe a loose wire going to that one tweeter. I think I've read the one tweeter on the outside should be disconnected on speakers with two tweeters going across the tops.

After that, I'd love to upgrade ( to a reasonable $$ ) my RTA12b's exposed crossover. Those should be easy for me since I can take the crossover off with 2 screw nuts and unplugging it. I don't know if my 12b's have a second crossover or not. I'm thinking they do.

Going to the speaker exchange now.
  • Tony M
    teekay0007 wrote: »

Tony, do your research before you start buying parts. If you're going to go the whole nine yards (4.1TL upgrade) on them, you'll need different (RD0198) tweeters and some different value/extra caps and resistors. If you're going to just upgrade the tweeters or tweeters and a full swapping out of the caps and resistors, you will use the RD0194 tweeters and caps/resistors that match the ones, value-wise that are on your boards now. Also, you'll want a small value resistor (0.5 Ohm?) to replace the polyswitch with either the 198 or the 194 tweeter upgrade.

Thank you for the added info knowledge on these CRSs.

I would probably go the TL route and follow in your footsteps when I get caught up on my to-do list in the coming years. ;) I've read here that the 0198 tweeters sound better. ;)
    I read many times the TL mods are worth it too. B)

If I was going to replace all the components on these CRSs, I might as well replace components for the TL mod. It makes since to upgrade UP if one is going to keep the speakers in the line-up for years to come. Going to order those 0194s for now though. B)

Thanks again.
  • Tony M
    How does "accepted answer" get put on under the thread title?