RM8 broken spring clip

Options
Has anyone had one of the speaker terminal spring clips break on the RM8 center channel speaker? If so, where did you find a replacement clip? I just need the little red rocker piece. Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• w1alk1
    w1alk1 Posts: 4
    Options
    That could possibly work. If the clips come out of the panel without breaking. The RM8 does not have a removable speaker clip panel, so the levers or clips have to come out of the panel and would have to fit the receptacle on the back of the RM8. Do you know if most of the clips are all pretty much the same size? Thanks for the link, it is appreciated.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    I don't think those are "user serviceable" in that regard, meaning the issue you described with removing the clip from that one I linked would be the same thing you'd face trying to insert it into the one you're trying to repair.

POLK-Audio-RM8-Satellite-Center-Channel-Speaker-_1.jpg

Not a great pic, but I don't see how to effectively replace that.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,204
    Options
    How would you guys feel about taking a speaker pin plug, putting some solder on the tip of the pin, inserting it and heating up the plug until the solder permanently attaches the plug to the broken clip opening? Then attach the speaker wire to the plug. I'm not saying it's the perfect solution, but it would be a work-around.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    Good idea and it ensures conductivity vs using something like super glue.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,204
    Options
    You could skip the plug and solder the speaker wire straight to the speaker, but then there would be no easy way to disconnect. I just don't know if the heat could damage whatever is on the back side of that panel.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    A better picture. Without opening the speaker there's no way to replace the spring terminals and there's absolutely no way to replace just the broken tab.
    u77io8z5d0lw.jpg

If it were me I'd open it up, then replace the entire binding post plate with real binding posts installed on it.

The solder idea could very well end up desoldering the wire connected to the backside of the spring terminal

Spring terminals should be outlawed.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    What you can do is use a jeweler's flat head screwdriver to wedge in at the top of the hole were the wire goes on. Pushing in and down at the same time will get the "jaw" to open. Shove the wire in and remove the screwdriver.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• w1alk1
    Options
    There is no jaw on this unit. The piece that broke provides the tension that presses the speaker connector (or wire) up against the metal speaker contact. I guess you could say that the broken piece was the bottom jaw. Thanks for the help.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Ok, so the spring broke.

President of Club Polk

• w1alk1
    Options
    The spring isn't broke. I have the spring. The push clips have little plastic pins that protrude from the sides and insert into the speaker cabinet. One of the pins on the side of the clip broke off. I purchased a 12 pin speaker terminal and removed one of the push clips but it was wider than the ones in the RM8. Thanks for the input everyone, it is much appreciated.