2000 Neon rear speakers

danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited May 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey,

I'm trying to replace the stock speakers in my 2000 Neon. should be very easy to remove them..and install some new 6x9's.
problem is i can't seem to be able to remove the rear deck that is covering the speakers.

Any ideas how i can remove this? It looks like it just like snaps into place... maybe with some plastic screws.. but for the life of me. i can't get the darn thing to come out.

the rear seats on the Neon only partially fold down.. they don't completly fold down flat like in my Mazda 626. So this is giving me problems.

thanks to anyone who has experience with this stuff.
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited May 2004
    Do they mount from the bottom? Check under the deck, inside teh trunk. They may be bottom mount speakers.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited May 2004
    I don't know how your Neon is, but in my mustang, we had to take off all the side panels and half the trim in the rear to get that deck off. Usually, you can call your dealer and talk to one of the guys in the garage, they can tell you better.
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • danger boy
    edited May 2004
    the 6x9's in the rear deck of the Neon mount from the top down. so the screws face downward. i can't remove the speakers without first removing this deck panel.

I might have to call the shop and see what the service dept says. I don't want to pay someone like CC to install them. it looks like it should be very simple.
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited May 2004
    If the neon is anything like my breeze was...I had to remove the back seat and the back pannels and some screws to get the back deck off...
  • danger boy
    edited May 2004
    i might have to do something like that.. seems like a waste of good effort to just replace the rear speaker if you have to remove the rear seats. huh strange.

They Trapped. where you been? Hanging out in the car audio forums? No longer in the home audio arena? ;)
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited May 2004
    WEll... too many egos up there...down here we just have Jstas :)

It seams to be same info over and over and over up there also. guess I'm kinda bored...and no plans on upgrading anything Ht any time soon:p
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2004
    this forum used to be more eye appealing too...but now that there is a ricer on it...
    what kind of 6x9s are you wanting to get?
    and yeah...it can be a pain in the ****...im probably worse off than you though...
    i have to take out my backseat, the panel above the back window, the panel below the back window, then every panel in the extended cab part of my truck(2 per side)
    and what do i get to look at?
    4x6 speakers...possibly some of the most useless speakers ever invented
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • danger boy
    edited May 2004
    Cody,

ouch! man what a pain in the **** just to get to your speakers. i guess i don't have it so bad then. and yeah 4x6er's?

When i do replace my speakers.. i'll go with the db690. lots of people in here have recommened them.

In my Mazda 626 i replaced the rear speakers myself. those use a 5x8 size speaker. not many speaker makers make ones tht come in that size. glad that Polk makes one that fit my car. ;)
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    yeah, I have the 'old body style' GMC truck...the newer ones(99+) all you have to do is pop out the grill...lol
    im sure itll be worth it...the DB speakers are truly awesome and to me are some of the best sounding speakers in the price range
    good luck and i hope you like the results:)
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2004
    Dude! I highly, HIGHLY recommend the Momo 6x9s. I have a pair of them and I cant praise them enough!! I bought them just to hold me over til I can get some higher end speakers but have decided to upgrade my entire system first and leave the Momo 6x9s in there til last. Their only real weakness is imaging (duh, theyre coaxials). If it aint really broke then why muck with it?

In my opinion, they flat smoke the DB's. They are only $50 more at most and worth every penny times 2!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    if youre not planning on getting an amp for them, i wouldnt use the MOMO 6x9s...everything MOMO is pretty power hungry
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2004
    Yeah that is a good point. I first had them hooked up with 40 rms each and they were great but when I bi-amped them to 40x4 they really lit up! I wouldnt recommend running them with anything less than 60 rms.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D