Who here does crossover work? For hire.

CH46E
CH46E Posts: 3,521
edited May 2020 in The Clubhouse
I need some help. Well, the Infinity RSII crossovers are above my ability. They are not going to be just swapping one for one.

I would like to have them rewired onto a 1/8 inch thick wood board that I can sink into a wood frame and place on the rear section of the speaker. Like a nice display.

I have almost all the parts now. Going to be ordering the resistors next.

The schematic is just too complicated for me to follow.

wrr49fo6lmdx.png

Thanks for any suggestions guys!

Comments

• CH46E
    I did replace the bass section and the tweeter caps, but I'm not going to be able to finish. Between the mid section the resistors, coils and size constraints, it's just too much for me.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Talk to westmassguy.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    F1nut wrote: »
    Talk to westmassguy.

Amen!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    F1nut wrote: »
    Talk to westmassguy.

None better!
  • CH46E
    Roger Wilco!

Thanks
  • CH46E
    @westmassguy does this look like something you might be intrested in?

It does not necessarily need to 1/8 thick wood board. Could be on anything really. Just want to be able to recess it a few inches into a frame. Open top.
  • CH46E
    No luck from Westmassguy, he said he does not do point to point and custom substrate. He recomended I reach out to Trey/VR3. Waiting to hear back from Trey.

I tried Danny from GR Research as thier web site offers custom crossover work, but he declined saying he needed the entire speaker there to fix other problems with this model. Not sure he understood what I was looking for.

If VR3 is not interested, do you guys have any other recommendations?
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    Perhaps get some perforated experimenters PCB board and practice laying things out on it to get a better feel for how you might lay the components out on a board. Once you have the layout that works with minimal wire lengths it might not be as hard as you think to point to point wire it on a wooden board.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    Careful with vibration from the transducers. Can cause unwanted electrical noise, but worse is rub/buzz of the components. How will you prevent that on a wooden external board without making it look ugly?
  • CH46E
    So, where I get confused is the ground. Can I use a common ground?
  • CH46E
    edited June 2020
    That is what I had in mind. So it does not matter where on the "ground wire" I link in the ground side of the components?
  • CH46E
    edited June 2020
    anonymouse wrote: »
    If you use 12AWG wire, it will not make a difference. I'd suggest you hook up one side of the ground to the and the other side to the 3 drivers as shown in the schematic

I don't follow. I think there were some types there.

I have a source for some Nickel plated Fluoropolymer 16 awg to go from the crossover to the mids and the tweeters. Or... is nickle plated copper a bad idea for audio signal? I know it is good for corrosion resistance, but what about audio?

Then some 12 AWG Silver Plated Copper Wire Black 19 strand SPC to fill from the crossover to the woofers.

I'll have plenty left over to use in the crossovers.

I run Audioquest CV8 from the amp to the crossover.

I really appreciate your advice! Thanks!

Post edited by CH46E on
  • CH46E
    Yes, much clearer. Thanks!
  • CH46E
    edited June 2020
    Question. If I wanted to cut down on the cost, where should I do it? The caps that are in parallel or the caps in series? I was thinking if I save some money on the parallel 12.5 and 6.8 in the mid section, I could spend more on the 150uf that is in series on the mid section. I would go from using Jantzen Superior Z-Caps to Jantzen Standard Z-caps for the 12.5 and 6.8 . There is also a 12.5 in series that I already have the Superior caps for.

Cheers