RC80i rattle (like a bloody banshee).... help

Options
G’day from Australia.

I love the sound of the RC80i and you can’t argue with the space-saving format BUT.... one of my units rattles with any Bass. The SUB takes over below 80Hz but it nevertheless rattles at any volume. All mounting screws and the fitting are snug.... anyone else have a dodgy unit and any ideas on how to fix it?

Cheers from Oz

Comments

• Brett H
    Brett H Posts: 9
    Options
    Ha... found the problem! All fixed. Great sounding speakers!!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,433
    Options
    Hey Brett,
    So what'dyou discover?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Brett H
    edited May 2020
    Options
    The vibration of the speaker had cracked the leading edge of the plaster where it was cut out. Not by much but enough to loosen the clamp which was rattling, despite the screw externally being tight. Took out the unit, sikaflex’d the plaster to stop further cracking/movement, replaced unit rotating 30Deg ;)

The most troubling part of the simple operation was when my wife said she didn’t notice the rattle :’(
  • msg
    Options
    Wow, interesting. I've never used ceiling speakers so I wasn't aware that could happen. Had to look up Sikaflex. Learn something new every day.

haha, funny on the wife :D
    I disabled signatures.
  • Brett H
    Options
    The plaster seems brittle and shows signs of having been water-damaged at some stage. Ordinarily I don’t think this would have been an issue.
  • msg
    Options
    Is Sikaflex just a brand of caulk?
    I vaguely recall seeing it, but forget which brand I usually pick up.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Brett H
    Options
    Yes it is. It’s a Polyurethane Adhesive/Sealant. It’s not cheap but if you want to do a job once that no other person can easily undo its your stuff.