Another SDA CRS rebuild

I finally decided to "update" my 1984 buld SDA CRS with dual SL1000 and 6503 drivers from storage duty. My initial plan was to just change the caps and resistors to the Clarity Cap and Mill 12W resistors. While going through an inventory of what I needed I noticed one of the Dimensional Array SL1000 is broken (I haven't enabled SDA for a long time).
After much reading, I decided to upgrade the main tweeter pair to:
1] RDO-198-1
or
2] RDO-194-1
and leave the Dimensional Array tweeter pair using SL1000s

Question 1: Is this advisable?
Question 2: If I go with RDO-198, I am thinking of using the high pass crossover circuit for CRS+ where SL3000 was fist used by adding 5.8uF cap and leave the low pass circuit in CRS setup. Will this work? I think the crossover point between CRS and CRS+ is slightly different, is the difference enough to put me back in sound fidelity?

Or I just sacrifice the sound a little and go with RDO-194 and use the same highpass crossover circuits in CRS.

Cheers

Comments

• Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 305
    I might be wrong, but in that iteration of the CRS, I don't think you can use the RD0198 tweeter, or do the CRS+ upgrade.

You should replace the tweeters with the RD0194s. But, consider only replacing the stereo tweeter and disconnecting the dimensional SL1000, leaving it in place to maintain an airtight cabinet. You can disconnect the wires to the tweeter, or just pull the fuse for that tweeter. Alternatively, replace all 4 tweeter with RD0194s; don't mix.

While you're at it, install hurricane nuts and machine screws, Dynamat the midwoofer and passive baskets, seal the cabinet seams, replace the gaskets if needed, and cement the driver magnets.

Good luck!
  • truenorth
    truenorth Posts: 2
    thanks for the suggestions! Much appreciated.