Does anyone here do amp repair - DSW3000 amp dead

brettw22
brettw22 Posts: 7,621
Hello,

I have a DSW3000 sub that has been used maybe a total of 10 hours and stored for a while. Went to hook it up and use it and it will not power on at all.

I called Polk and there are no parts to fix this so it's an essentially a paperweight.....

So.....does anyone here work on amps and could look at this to see if it's a simple repair before I turf it?
comment comment comment comment. bitchy.

Comments

• ambiophonics
    ambiophonics Posts: 715
    What's your location?
    2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Qobuz streamed via Episode Lynk using bubble UPnP server
  • brettw22
    I'm in Salt Lake City, UT.......
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    This is a DSW MicroPro 3000 correct?
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • brettw22
    edited May 2020
    Yes......I had hooked it up and then did a massive remodel and left it hanging out for a while and when I went back to use it nada.......won't power on at all.

The CS rep at Polk said if it was capacitors and other easy stuff it might be repairable, but anything like chips it would be dead and not possible to repair......
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    IIRC the amp is actually total enclosed so even getting access to the components once removed is a PITA....

I can’t find the emails but I swear I had stuff on this topic from POLK related to a MicroPro2k

I’ve seen people have success (with other brand subs) with just disconnecting the internal wiring and redoing it to directly wire the sub to one of the sets of speaker inputs. Then they use an external amp to drive it.

That said, with the passive not sure that’s a good idea as they may have some funky DSP magic going on you’d need to try and emulate.

Also not sure if any of the Dayton brand plate amps are in similar size and wattage to fit either. It also would have similar issues with the DSP.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • brettw22
    I don't think I want to approach the whole Dayton brand or rewire retrofit - I would look at external amps for the sub being a waste, especially if the 'payoff' is iffy on whether it would even work.......

i guess the main question/issue is whether someone has the tools to test/replace basic parts - if it cannot carry a load then it becomes trash, but ideally I would like to have the sub not look like a Frankenstein iteration of itself......
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    edited May 2020
    I second @anonymouse I used them to repair one of my two DSW microPRO 3000 amps and its back. Cheaper option is to buy new, but these small subs are still wonderful.

If Edwards stops repairs, I'll probably just get an outboard AMP or maybe DIY a hypex NC2K onto it.

6no3qi79ngs1.jpeg
    l9lfpzrjxqca.jpeg
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • brettw22
    I appreciate the link - i have to decide whether or not it's worth getting this fixed or just pushing that money into another sub - it's definitely the cheaper option, provided it can be fixed, but there's no telling that it actually can be (that would mystify me, but whatever).

I will send them an email and see if they're still doing this - the things has been EOL'd for a while now.....
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,135
    edited May 2020
    brettw22 wrote: »
    Yes......I had hooked it up and then did a massive remodel and left it hanging out for a while and when I went back to use it nada.......won't power on at all.

The CS rep at Polk said if it was capacitors and other easy stuff it might be repairable, but anything like chips it would be dead and not possible to repair......

Are you saying that you remodeled the sub or your house lol? I guess the important thing is that it worked the last time you used it and then when you plugged it in it was DOA with no lights even momentarily? That might be a clue as to what went bad........umm to someone who knows more than me. Perhaps you might get lucky if you opened it up and saw some bulging electrolytics or perhaps one that looks like it leaked. At any rate, I would definitely open it up and give all the components and the PCB the eagle eye and look for anything untoward. Does Polk not even have the schematics / parts list for the sub? Those will be invaluable to anyone attempting to repair.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform