s15 or s20 when paired with HTS10

Options
iHambone
iHambone Posts: 15
Good day,

I'm replacing a 25 year old RM satellite w/ passive sub combo up front in a small home theater. I'm looking to purchase either the s15 or s20 bookshelf speakers to pair with an HTS10 subwoofer for both movies and music.

Sonically , if I plan on cutting the new bookshelf speakers off at 80hz is there any benefit to getting the s20 over the s15?

Thanks for any thoughts

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    How big is the room? What will you be powering them with?

If you have other options I would consider other brands of subs. Never was polks strong suit...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,434
    Options
    Good notes above.
    For a smaller room, the S15s may be fine, but the S20s will breathe a little easier and have a bit more overhead. In other words, they may sound a bit fuller without having to crank them.

With music in the picture, I'd probably lean toward S20s. They do quite nicely for music in a combo use system.

Do you have stands for these speakers?
    I disabled signatures.