Monitor 5s (original model) and Amplification

Options
slow_polk7
slow_polk7 Posts: 33
edited May 2020 in Vintage Speakers
I bought my Monitor 5s brand new in '78. (with the stands, they were 220.00/pair before tax)
At the time, I had a new Pioneer receiver in the 50 wpc range. In '88 I replaced that with a Sony ES receiver (80 wpc), which I use to this day. I don't recall perceiving any real difference in sound between the two receivers.

I still have my M5s -- they look brand new, and still sound great.

My question: Does anyone have any experience (or informed opinion) on the potential benefits of running these with a truly high-end amplifier.
Let me make clear, I'm strictly looking for input regarding Monitor 5s (not 5jrs, not Monitor 7s, not SDAs, etc.)

edit to add: both receiver and speakers are fully to spec. (rebuilding/updating of either is not an issue)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,602
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Due to the age of both the speaker and the amplifier, I would wager that both could use a refresh.

I would look into rebuilding/upgrading the crossovers, I believe @westmassguy offers this service.

Similarly, I would consider a new high quality integrated amplifier. Due to the age of the Sony you are using, it is likely now out of spec and better results could probably be obtained with something else.
  • slow_polk7
    Options
    Clipdat

Thanks for your response -- I have edited my original post to reflect the condition of both components.

I'm interested in real-world accounts of anyone who has truly noted any appreciable difference in the M5, base solely on the amplification.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Are the crossovers and amplifier original or have they been upgraded/serviced at some point?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,043
    edited May 2020
    Options
    In 1978 I would have said Yamaha -- so, in 2020, I'd still suggest Yamaha.
    They have a slew of at least nice looking integrated amplifiers.

Do bear in mind, though, that -- while the Monitor 5 was a very nice little loudspeaker -- it's not "high end", nor was it when new. I guess that's my way of saying don't over-invest.

August 1978 ad, showing the 10, 7, 5, and Minimonitor:

0c81psevqrxa.png
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/180156/a-project-for-2018-compendium-of-polk-audio-ads-etc/p1

• Clipdat
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Are the crossovers and amplifier original or have they been upgraded/serviced at some point?

@slow_polk7 are you actually going to answer this, or was this just a bizarre post and run nonsense thread?
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    Options
    I am not sure about these early Polks, but I have some early 80's era Monitor 5's with the Peerless tweeter. IMHO these speakers will benefit from a good amp / preamp.
    Mine are currently stock, and using old, but tuned up and in spec DH-220 and DH-101 preamp with a good CD player yielded a noticeable improvement to the soundstage and clarity. There was not much improvement in bass, but did seem a little richer. Running them with a new 2000's era Parasound amp and preamp improved the soundstage and clarity even more. It also highlighted what I think or hope is an issue with the crossover that I now notice even with a 70's receiver.

I have had some later Monitor series polk speakers from around the 90's that did not appear to have any real crossover issues, and some that needed a rebuild. The 3 speakers that have quality crossover rebuilds sound better than the best stock ones.

That said, for just playing sounds, the M5's connected to a stock 70's reliever with some bass boost fills a room nicely, but so can a Bose Wave radio. In both cases a decent amount of detail is lost, and it is not as fulfilling, but sometimes I don't care.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,184
    Options
    slow_polk7 wrote: »

I still have my M5s -- they look brand new, and still sound great.

edit to add: both receiver and speakers are fully to spec. (rebuilding/updating of either is not an issue)

I know it doesn't answer your question regarding amplification, but regarding upgrading crossovers.....well, ya don't know what ya don't know.......meaning I thought my 7B's sounded great and couldn't be improved upon all that much, UNTIL I upgraded the crossovers.

George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • slow_polk7
    Options
    I don't understand what is so cryptic about the phrase "fully to spec", but suffice it to say that the only answer I'm interested in involves the "responsiveness" of the Model 5 to improvements in amplification.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options

@slow_polk7 are you actually going to answer this, or was this just a bizarre post and run nonsense thread?

Grouchy boy!
  • Clipdat
    Options
    slow_polk7 wrote: »
    I don't understand what is so cryptic about the phrase "fully to spec", but suffice it to say that the only answer I'm interested in involves the "responsiveness" of the Model 5 to improvements in amplification.

You're coming across as an obnoxious troll. Every speaker in existence will respond differently to every amplifier in existence.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    ^^^ All amplifiers will sound the same.....
  • Clipdat
    Options

@slow_polk7 You seem to be unwilling or unable to answer the question above, so I'll quote it and ask it yet again.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    I said the word "troll" and Jimmy appears, what a coincidence.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,684
    Options

If you call me "Jimmy" again, I will have you banned.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »

Apologies Jimmy, I didn’t know you were a moderator. I guess it’s a good job I’m not from Israel then.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,684
    Options
    joecoulson wrote: »

Apologies Jimmy, I didn’t know you were a moderator. I guess it’s a good job I’m not from Israel then.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    Options
    I spend my mana reserves to cast Mighty of the Beyondness.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    Options
    Just trying to point out that there may be lower hanging fruit to go after in your pursuit of better sound out of your M5's. It seems you believe that capacitors are capacitors and resistors are resistors and inductors are inductors, but you probably don't believe that all amplifiers with the same power, THD, IMD, and damping factors sound the same. I know amplifiers are much more complicated but you have to keep an open mind. Not all speaker cables sound the same either.

I would compare specs of other integrated amps to your receiver specs and start there. Then look at reviews of prospective candidates, and keep in mind that vintage equipment often needs an overhaul to sound their best just as speaker crossovers do as well.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    joecoulson wrote: »

Can you please stop with the poking? He asked you not to call him Jimmy, you persisted, then after not getting the reaction you wanted you brought up the Israel incident. He was temporarily banned for that and has since behaved. Please gentlemen, there's too much going on in the world for us to be petty.
  • Monkey_Relish
    Monkey_Relish Posts: 11
    edited May 2020
    Options
    My Monitor 5A’s (peerless tweeters and rebuilt crossovers) sound fantastic paired with my rebuilt Yamaha CA-1000.
    They also sound good when paired with my rebuilt NAD 3020 Series 20 amp, but not as good as with the Yamaha. The NAD sounds great with rock music, but not as refined as the Yamaha. They seem to pair well with the clean, detailed, uncoloured sound of the Yamaha, the highs are sparkling without being ice picky, the bass is tight, not muddy in any way.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    ^^^^ +1 (FWIW)

Vintage Polk and vintage Yamaha have always played well together.
    Choose yer poison ;)

16013994074_3405e2a9d8_b.jpgDSC_0241 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

harmon/kardon of that era was good with the "monitor series" Polks as well, and were also frequently bundled as systems when & where I came from.

11324607964_fc5f4a9661_c.jpgwhatmore by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • Gardenstater
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Very cool early ad. I think it's amusing that they say 8" radiator when it's clearly an early 7 with a 10" passive radiator. :D

I wonder what the specific attributes are of these receivers that make them sound good with Polks.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • mhardy6647
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Very cool early ad. I think it's amusing that they say 8" radiator when it's clearly an early 7 with a 10" passive radiator. :D

I wonder what the specific attributes are of these receivers that make them sound good with Polks.

Yep, it's a fairly severe typo. The speaker in the photo's an early 7A (looks identical to mine, in fact -- although mine are orange, umm, I mean "rosewood"). The original "Monitor Series Model 7" did indeed have an 8" uncoated paper PR.

11224559586_ec0e7fda63_z.jpgorigpolkmonitorspecs by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

The worse "typo" in that catalog page -- the turntable pictured is a Philips GA406 (fully auto) and not a GA312. :p

... but I digress...

;)

No idea of why those aforementioned amps pair well -- but they do (empirically). :)

• Astrl55
    Astrl55 Posts: 55
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I don't think the OP's question is asking about "affordable" hi-fi receivers, etc.
  • slow_polk7
    Options
    @Monkey_Relish
    @mhardy6647

Thanks for your input, but my question is whether anyone has experience using the M5s with truly high-end amps.
    Think Parasound, Pass, PrimaLuna, Bryston, etc., etc.

Everything suggested so far, is basically in the same league as what I've used in the past.