NEED HELP: Setting up a new system

Racer
Racer Posts: 5
edited May 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I am setting up a stereo system in a boat I picked up. I'm really enjoying this so far, but I think its come time that I really get a few things down straight before I install my equipment. Here's what I have so far:

* Pyle (model 2680) 2400 max amp (400 RMS?? @ 4 ohms)
* Performance Teknique ICBM-771 500 watt (Power Output @ 4 Ohms: 100W x 2CH)
* Performance Teknique ICBM-773 (Power Output @ 4 Ohms: 60W x 4CH)
* DHD NTX6277 Cap
* Stupid Lanzar 400 MP3/CD Reciever
* (2) Infinity 10" 1030W Subs, 250RMS (got these for like 10 bucks a sub)
* (2 pairs) EX3550 5 1/4" Polk speakers includes crossover for seperate included tweaters (8 speakers total include tweeters, 4 crossovers total). I actually picked these up at circuit city for $50 a set, which seems pritty great.

I constructed the box using the formula's off of this site last weekend out of 3/4" mdf.

If you guys would please comment on my setup, and what type of amp to pair with my equipment, I would invite any criticism/suggestions.

I have really been through a process where I first just looked at specs to order the stuff, then started talking to people in stores about this stuff. I realize now that I might end up returning some of my things I bought and eat the shipping costs. I quickly realized that everyone has their own story, but generally has some useful knowledge. Here are a couple things I have heard that I am also looking for comment:
* Carpeting the sub box improves performance
* Performance Teknique is actually a good brand (have heard mixed opinions)
* The CAP is absolutely unecessary with my setup, especially in a boat because it will not do anything but drain the battery when the boat is off
* I need two batteries now
* Lanzar and Pyle are **** products, but for my setup I'm not going to notice (I have universally heard that)
* The crossovers I have will not filter low end efficiently and I need something else
* I need a crossover for my subs to filter out high end stuff
* Only good thing Lanzar makes is Amps, if that.

If we can start there then that would be great. I realize its a whole lot of information, and I welcome any suggestions. I won't be offended if you tell I'm a fool for buying Pyle or Lanzar, it would be great if it worked out but from what I've heard so far they're not great products.

I have also posted a WANTED threat in flea market for a better reciever, because I know I'm going to need that because I'm in a boat and that Lanzar is going to skip like crazy. I'm a huge fan of the recycler and used stuff.

Thanks!
-Racer
Post edited by Racer on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited May 2004
    *carpeting the sub box improves performance
    A: false

*a cap is unnecessary
    A: true, but it never hurts (despite what you've heard, it won't drain the battery to my knowledge)

*you need two batteries now
    A: false

*the crossovers you have are ineffecient
    A: false to my knowledge

*you need a sub crossover
    A: completely true; the sub amp may have one built-in

you used the polk specs for the infinity subs??
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Racer
    Racer Posts: 5
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by neomagus00

you used the polk specs for the infinity subs??

No, I used the specs that were included in the literature for the infinity subs, which is 250RMS, 1030 max @ 4 ohms

For the Polk ex3550's:
    Nominal Impedance 4 ohms
    Power Handling (continuous) 85 w
    Power Handling (peak) 250 w

Polk has the speakers online here
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by Racer
    No, I used the specs that were included in the literature for the infinity subs...
    okay then

pyle - since it's only an amp, you should be just fine... just be especially careful to wire it properly... (duh :D)
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs