Advise for a relative newbie

Options
Hi all, I’m new to the forum and read a bunch of great questions and answers which has helped me a ton. It seems there’s a couple of questions In the forum which apply to my situation - specifically regarding bi-amping the Rti A9’s. Or at t least that’s where it started. Perhaps I can run down my situation and hopefully one of you knowledgable folks can give me a thumbs up, down or sideways as to wether I’m on the right track.

I like a few others in here picked up some Rti A9’s on a wicked deal. I’m just in the process of building my basement theatre room/listening space. The movies and gaming will be done by the wife and kids but I’m quite a music junkie and have a pretty decent vinyl and CD collection that I would like to fully enjoy and experience. So with that said I got led down the path of buying a Denon AVR-X4500H with the intention of setting up a 5.1.2 system and bi-amping the Rti’s with the extra 2 channels (the 4500 is a 9 channel). This would then be sending 250w to the A9’s (in theory). But then I read a few posts in here and think I should be buying a 5 channel power amp to add to the AVR. Would this be correct in my thinking? If so I have a few more questions, if not, then I only have one...what do I do? lol, any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    You won't see any benefit from using a receiver to "bi-amp" the A9s as it's not possible to do it correctly as desired. To correctly bi-amp while still using the Denon: purchase another 2 channel amp and use the pre outs from the Denon to feed it. Use the 2 channel to feed the low pass circuit and the Denon for the high pass.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    FestYboy wrote: »
    You won't see any benefit from using a receiver to "bi-amp" the A9s as it's not possible to do it correctly as desired. To correctly bi-amp while still using the Denon: purchase another 2 channel amp and use the pre outs from the Denon to feed it. Use the 2 channel to feed the low pass circuit and the Denon for the high pass.

I wouldn’t do this either. All kinds of potential issues. That’s a great avr. Just buy a beefy 2 channel amp for the a9s, forget about bi-amping. But do get rid of the brass jumpers and use some quality speaker quality, preferably the same kind your using for the speakers (which is hopefully some decent cable).

Good luck!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Gunneroo
    Gunneroo Posts: 4
    Options
    Guys, super input to mull over.

I’m a bit confused though with the bi amping not being of benefit as there was quite a lengthy article on the Crutchfield site not to mention the Denon AVR has dependant posts to service that request? As mentioned, I’m a newbie. ... here’s what I had planned on using and only have the Denon and Rti’s so far:
    Receiver - Denon AVR x4500h
    Fronts - Rti A9’s
    Center - Polk S35 (it’s very slim and I have minimal space so I thought this was an ok option)
    Rears - Rti A1’s (6’ off floor using wall mounts)
    Ceiling - Polk 90RT’s
    CD - Yamaha CD-S300BL
    Turntable not yet determined.

Would I not be better to go with a 5 channel power amp added to this mix instead of a 2 channel?
  • Gunneroo
    Gunneroo Posts: 4
    Options
    Oh and I was going to wire the speakers with some Pyle 12g braided speaker wire, is this sufficient quality?
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    You should get a Parasound Halo A 51 Five Channel Power Amplifier and be done with it. You will need some worthy cables too, and be done with it... :#