restoring finish on speaker cabinets

Was thinking about attempting to restore the finish on my Klipsch Forte speakers. There are some water stains, etc on them, mainly the tops. I believe this is an oak finish. I was thinking of using Howards Restor a finish using a "dark walnut" to help cover the stains. Hoping to get some advice on doing this. Not sure if I should do any sanding first , i understand the veneer is really thin. There arent any scratches, gouges, or any problems with the wood. Anyone used Howards , or any other products on their cabinets? Thanks for your help
kscwkkhv63lt.jpg
0j6j3wu5nana.jpg
SDA 1C (wood)- Vr3 crossovers/ Gimpod board's, Larry's rings, RDO194 tweeters, Dynamat. Updated terminal cup and binding posts. Custom IC by Vr3 with Neutrik connectors. SDA 2B(studio)- SonicCraft crossovers(TL mod), RD0-198 tweeters. Hurricane nuts, DynaMat and JB Weld.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,784
    Do not ever use that Howards crap on anything.

There's only one way to remove black moisture stains, Oxalic acid. You need to strip off the finish first though and it's best to apply the acid to every side on both cabinets.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• stevep
    stevep Posts: 328
    F1nut wrote: »
    There's only one way to remove black moisture stains, Oxalic acid.

Deck strength or diluted?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,784
    edited April 2020
    Mix your own into a paste and pile plenty on the the black marks.

WARNING: Do not breath the dried crystals as you clean the acid off the cabinets.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    I've used Bar Keep's Friend on stains with success. Like Jesse says make a paste. I try to just put it on the stain itself first. May take several applications with that stain as it's really dark. I've sanded mine down to get it acceptable. Then I use Minwax water based polyurethane with great success. That stuff has very little VOC' s, dries fast and is extremely durable. 3-4 thin coats work best.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus