3.1TL Sonicap vs Clarity CSA?

Options
Anyone have contrast experience with these two caps?

Comments

• DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Yes. SoniCaps (Gen 1) sounded more natural and "warm", (if that's a good description) to me in my non-professional opinion. I left those in and used the Clarity CSA's elsewhere and moved them with a sale. Totally anecdotal; but, that's what I have...
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Options
    I have Sonicaps in my 3.1TL's, but my 2.3TL's have Calrity Cap ESA's in them. I prefer the ESA sound to the Sonicap (a little too warm and lacking detail, IMO); Of course this is subjective. ESA's (haven't heard the CSA's) are not bright to my ears, and mine are pretty sensitive. I could imagine the ESA's in my 3.1TL's, but haven't actually heard them (butimagine they would be great). Also, I use the Duelund Cast resistors in the 2.3TL's and find them to be excellent. Again, I have never heard them in the 3.1TL's, so my opinion may be worth only a grain of salt.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • RandyCroissant
    Options
    Jantzen caps could be a contender as well. The superior z cap is nicely detailed but not fatigueing to my old ears. I have them in the HF side of my 1C, good luck on your build I think any of the ones you list and are mentioned would be very good choices.
    Randy
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• RandyCroissant
    RandyCroissant Posts: 475
    edited April 2020
    Options
    r6cerkl26o7j.jpg
    Here is a picture of the crossovers in my recent 1C build
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    When I rebuilt my 3.1's, I put in Clarity Caps in all positions (I didn't build the x-overs ) and the results were just too Bright and edgy for my taste, extremely detailed though, if that's what your looking for.

I later had the boards rebuilt with all Sonicaps and Mills Resistors...much better. The single tweeter in the 3.1's are voiced a little hotter than the multiple tweeter array SDA's to begin with, and the Clarity Caps were just too much. The Sonicaps made them much sweeter.

Everyone has their own 'Sound' they're trying to achieve when modifying the SDA's. If you are a 'Last spec of detail' guy, then the Clarity might be for you.