I just had a random phono preamp thought

Options
mhardy6647
mhardy6647 Posts: 33,042
edited April 2020 in 2 Channel Audio
Not sure why I was thinking about phono preamps, but I was.
I was thinking about the proliferation of really, really cheap add-on (MM) phono
preamp/EQ boxes that every retail & catalog electronics supplier carried back in the good ol' days. You know, this kinda thing:

1em11155zx2h.png
source: http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/html/1977/hr040.html

So, in 2020 AD, they call these Little Rats and there are clowns hucksters audiophiles who sell upgraded examples (new caps) for, like, two hunnert smackers. :o

The mind boggles.

So, here's what I was thinkin'. There are lots and lots of really good, cheap transistors nowadays. These gizmos were (are) extremely simple -- although I'll admit, I don't even know if they use active or passive RIAA networks (I assume the latter...?).

I'm just wonderin' if anyone's knocked together a drop-dead simple, discrete SS phono preamp along the lines of the "Little Rat" and its peers -- but using modern transistors and capacitors (and resistors, too...)? Seems like it would be a cheap and fun exercise.
One could run it with batteries, off a wall wart (switchmode or linear), simple linear P/S, not-so-simple linear P/S, or a bench/lab P/S (for those who have such things handy -- they're cheap and plrentiful; a good investment for tinkerers). It might be way easier to make it quiet compared to DIY with vacuum tubes.

I mean, I could google for examples -- but I am really lazy, and it is a holiday, so I thought I'd ask! :)

Thoughts?

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Doc I’m amazed at your random flights of fancy always seem to be destined as a published paper in audiophile circles! :smile:

Btw, sorry but I’ve got nothing for ya! Following though!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,050
    Options
    I remember buying one of those things some 45+ years ago. I had moved up from a ceramic cartridge to a mm and my botl all in one didn't have the proper input for the mm input.
    Going from ceramic to mm now that was quite an upgrade at the time for those that never had a ceramic cart that tracks at ounces as opposed to grams.
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2020
    Options
    ... on the other hand, there were (and, I think, still are) some "audiophile" ceramics.

In the old days, there was EV's "MagnaCeramic" line of high, and low, output ceramics, for example -- these were at least as expensive as the better/best MMs and MIs of their day.

Here's one, e.g.,

jf2i0jwcxsoz.png
    source: http://www.alliedcatalogs.com/html/1961-200/hr097.html
    The price of this EV is the same as a Shure M7D in the same catalog (i.e., at the top end of all phono cartridges in 1961). :|

Grado once also had a line of ceramics. Old Joe Grado invented and patented a moving coil design, sold MC cartridges early in his career, but quickly abandoned them for ceramics and moving iron (MI, aka "variable reluctance") designs. I've always been amused by that (but then again, I was and still am a Grado fanboy).

ufdutqy955gu.png
    source: https://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=22033.0

A Grado ceramic from the 1960s on a Technics SL-Q2.
    46778603172_9ca6e51ee4_h.jpgDSC_3849 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    39865598663_7260ecf6c4_h.jpgDSC_3850 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

More recently (it's all relative) there were "solid state" cartridges -- marketing speak for ceramic, aka piezoelectic, cartridges. MicroAcoustics (MA) was pretty successful with their line (which are still held in no mean regard in some circles), and Panasonic's "Strain Gauge" cartridges were/are kind of legendary. These were low output, MM phono-compatible cartridge designs (for better or worse), like the above mentioned EV.

The MA cartridges had onboard networks to reduce their output (I think) and to de-equalize them so that they could be plugged into an MM phono input. I think that the Panasonics had an outboard adaptor box that did the same basic thing.

MA QDC-1e on a Philips 777 tt.
    31857019143_f7a1f50674_h.jpgDSC_6962 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

I've got one MA cartridge (i.e., the one above ;) ) - the midrange is absolutely glorious; everything else is -- OK. In fairness, the condition of the stylus is utterly unknown, and I never set the cartridge up with a lot of care, so it may well be capable of more than I have let it be.

Ceramics do offer some intrinsic advantages -- they have a constant-amplitude response characteristic (as opposed to the constant-velocity response of an MM, MI, or MC cartridge), so they're self-equalizing. That's why the MA cartridges mentioned above have on-board 'electronics' that make their output look like that of an MM or MI cartridge!

4ewn29lt0ktr.png
    source: https://www.vinylengine.com/ve_downloads/index.php?micro-acoustics/micro_acoustics_phono_cartridges_catalog_1977.pdf

Here's an article that looks like a good one-stop shop on this topic :p I haven't read it carefully, so I cannot guarantee its accuracy -- but it's a start if anyone's interested :)

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/cartridgehistory.htm

PS I may not have characterized the 'strain gauge' carts terribly accurately; I am going from memory :p I am on a short leash this AM (got some stuffs to do anon) so I will update later as and if necessary. I know youse guyses love this kind of stuff! B)

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    @mhardy6647 You probably mean a kit of some sort, but there are several cheap Chinese pre-made options on eBay. Seller 'doukmall' has several, of which most are the tube variety, but here are some internal pics of a few SS options.

They say this one is 'inspired by Shure', but no mention of how.
    yn8ijegpkxyu.jpg

Little Bear is a popular minimal, normally tube, but here is a SS:
    an92plgwc25j.jpg

This one is based a Nait 2 phonostage from the '80s:
    nosd2fwzyosb.jpg

Nobsound:
    9n43xm39tzxh.jpg

Douk:
    pknin3qn1bif.jpg
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I don't mean a kit :p I mean a schematic.
    I have an urge to tinker.
    None of those pesky lethal voltages that plague the vacuum tube stuff that I usually tinker with, either. Run the dang thing offa batteries! :)

I have been fiddlin' on and off, with a dysfunctional old(er) Samsung flat-panel TV (long, long story). I figured 99.9% most likely that the problem was (were) one or more bad P/S electrolytics -- but, noooooooooo...

n7ve2fx89ps7.jpg

dijf9ooojzbb.jpg

Interacting with the outside world via Zoom has given me (yes me) an urge to come up with something a little bit bigger than the laptop displays we've got around here. I've solved the audio problem B) but the video is a higher bar. But I digress...

aa7bxr0xs80i.jpg
    (Easter Sunday service... via Zoom! :) )

At any rate, fiddling with soiled state stuff has some advantages, and I thought it would be fun to recreate some simple passive RIAA ss design with gooder, moderner components either point to point or on a perfboard.

That's all -- nothin' profound.

I actually have the genesis of a pretty high end DIY phono preamp in the form of PC boards, tubes, and a power transformer. I actually just need to source the passives for it and devise some sort of enclosure... but that's a bigger project than I am up for right this second. :|

Oh, man, I sound even more ADD than I believe actually I am today! ;)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Options
    You might want to consider building the Realistic 42-2101, you can find the owner's manual which has the schematic drawing at HiFiEngine's website.
    Another choice very popular with the folks in Japan is to do a search for the Toshiba TA7122AP a three transistor preamp mini-module that can be configured into a fine sounding phono preamplifier with just a few external components. There are usually a few available on eBay for a fairly modest sum.
    If you need parts, let me know, or inverse RIAA testing with THD and IM distortion measurements.
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Mark,
    I've not made it yet, but the schematic in this intrigues me .

https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lme49720.pdf
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited April 2020
    Options
    tonyp063 wrote: »
    Mark,
    I've not made it yet, but the schematic in this intrigues me .

https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lme49720.pdf

I built one based on this data sheet and using that op-amp. The passive parts were scaled to slightIy different values. The polystyrene and polypropylene caps and metal film resistors were tested and matched to better than 1%. I'm very pleased with the results in my modest vinyl set up. Simple , quiet and clean sounding little circuit.
    Post edited by FTGV on
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    86phkrn1tdht.png

Thank you, gentlemen, and I appreciate the leads, but I am tryin' to avoid them little squashed bug op amps in this Gedankenexperiment. Tryin' to think like Nelson Pass, you know? I might have to take a few big ol' hits of ozone to pull that off, though, of course. :o
    (oh, and become a master circuit designer with a phalanx of credentials...)

hmmm... did he do a discrete DIY phonostage design? Guess that's worth a look.

Guy on ASR popped up with this interesting page, BTW (and FWIW):
    http://www.douglas-self.com/ampins/discrete/2Q-RIAA/2Q-RIAA.htm

• FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    Options
    Yes, I realize you didn't want to use any of those wretched 8 pin devices. I was just giving Tony some feedback on the schematic he posted. :)
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I like the way you think Doc!!

I been so in love with my Vincent phono amp with separate power supply...so can you and this to your design? hint...hint...

https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=VIPHO701

p.s. I had a Graham Slee phono a Canadian brother here bought and love d so much he upgrade to a higher model of it..I only sold it because it was so light weight.. the heavier cables pulled it off my Rack :( then I got the Vincent and found Vinyl heaven for now!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD