Eastern Electric Avant preamp

pglbook
pglbook Posts: 2,163
edited April 2020 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
I am looking for an Eastern Electric Avant preamp in excellent cosmetic and working condition. I have the EE Minimax preamp and love it and am looking to go up the line and take my system to the next level. PM me with details. Thanks.

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Maybe send Brock, H9, a PM and see if he's ready to part with his. He's the only one I know of with that pre.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pglbook
    edited April 2020
    tonyb wrote: »
    Maybe send Brock, H9, a PM and see if he's ready to part with his. He's the only one I know of with that pre.

Thanks, Tony. I have spoken with Brock in the past about the Avant and know that it is an endgame pre for him that has a permanent place in his system.. The Avant is a pretty rare preamp to find for sale. I have found only one currently for sale, in the UK (I searched via hi fi shark), but unfortunately that one is overpriced (and much more so when factoring in shipping cost from the UK to U.S.)

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Ya never know, doesn't hurt to ask him. Maybe he has thoughts of trying something else.
    One things for sure, he takes care of his gear. If you could talk him out of it, you'd be getting a pretty minty pre. Big if....
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pglbook
    I am still looking for an Eastern Electric Avant preamp. Please let me know if anyone has one for sale, or if anyone can point me to any leads. They are pretty rare to find. There are none currently for sale on any of the usual sites (U.S. Audio Mart, Audiogon, hi fi shark search, etc).

Thanks.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited July 2020
    Sorry guys been off the radar for awhile. These were very limited in the US. Maybe only like 50-75 units sold here. It's a stellar pre, worth seeking out. Lots of tubes to run so it can drive you a bit crazy if you're a roller like me. It uses 4 12AU7's, 3 12AX7's, and a 6x4 rectifier.

Good luck, I got lucky when I was looking for mine. Right place, right time. If you're adamant about checking for it everyday, everywhere used audio is sold, you will run across one eventually.

Be sure and post back here if you find one.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • pglbook
    edited July 2020
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Sorry guys been off the radar for awhile. These were very limited in the US. Maybe only like 50-75 units sold here. It's a stellar pre, worth seeking out. Lots of tubes to run so it can drive you a bit crazy if you're a roller like me. It uses 4 12AU7's, 3 12AX7's, and a 6x4 rectifier.

Good luck, I got lucky when I was looking for mine. Right place, right time. If you're adamant about checking for it everyday, everywhere used audio is sold, you will run across one eventually.

Be sure and post back here if you find one.

H9

Thanks, Brock, Glad to see you back.

The EE Avant is definitely scarce. I have been looking on the usual sites (U.S. Audio Mart, Audiogon; hifishark, eBay, etc.) for the past few months and there has not been one listed for sale in all of that time. But I will be patient and continue my search.

I love my EE Minimax pre (except its very high gain) and I know that the Avant will bring things to the next level (or two or three).