Crossover and loudness

Hey guys, I have some questions about setting the crossover settings and db levels. I have two front left and right Polk S15 bookshelves, surround left and right S15s, a center T30 speaker, and a PSW108 subwoofer all connected to an onkyo TX-NR555 receiver. I tried to set them all to 80hz as a starting point (subwoofer LPF on the actual sub set to 160hz to let receiver handle the bass) For whatever reason I can't seem to achieve the clear loud sound I'm looking for. The speakers don't sound like they're loud enough when I have the receiver volume set to around 50 (out of 100) and then the bass sounds like it's too overpowering and still getting distortion and crunching from the front and center speakers during action scenes. There is a setting on the receiver that says LPF of LFE that I'm not understanding what that is or what to set it to. I guess I'm just looking for some advice on settings to clear up the sound. Thanks in advanced!

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    LFE = low frequency effects = bass.

Yes run all bass/LFE to sub only. You were correct to turn the sub crossover all the way up to avoid cascading crossovers. Have you ran the AccuEQ Room Calibration? If yes well many time you still must adjust a little more manually to your liking. You also have the ability on that receiver to adjust the Crossover Adjustment for Each Channel
    (40/50/60/70/80/90/100/120/150/180/200 Hz). So I would make sure all channels are set to 80Hz or maybe try 90Hz and see what that gets you.

Now a few do not understand that your receiver is rated 130wpc @ 6 ohms so at 8 ohms it well be somewhere around 90wpc. NOW believer it or not that is only 2 channels driven. If you have all 5 going that will be far lower around 30-40 wpc. You may be asking that receiver to do too much in the loudness factor I dunno.
  • Thank you, that was helpful. As far as the power for the receiver goes yea that makes sense, I was thinking about getting a pair of the tower speakers and make it a 7.1 channel setup, so I should probably consider getting a new receiver to handle it. Any suggestions on a good receivers that are good for that kinda power?
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited April 2020
    Your room size is a consideration as well when deciding to go further than 5.1.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,262
    ... when I have the receiver volume set to around 50 (out of 100) and then the bass sounds like it's too overpowering and still getting distortion and crunching from the front and center speakers during action scenes. There is a setting on the receiver that says LPF of LFE that I'm not understanding what that is or what to set it to. I guess I'm just looking for some advice on settings to clear up the sound....
    Be sure your speaker configuration is set to "Small". If the speakers are set to Large the receiver may see them as full range speakers and (depending on your receiver) the bass may not crossover to the sub at 80 Hz as intended. Also, if your receiver has a Bass Control setting be sure it is set to LFE and not LFE + Main for the same reasons. If your speakers aren't crossing over to the sub correctly your speakers my be trying to produce the LFE bass frequencies that they aren't capable of producing. The result would be the poor sound you are describing.

• SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Previous post have given good advice. I would start w/watching your overall volume setting. If you haven’t solved the clarity/distortion problem & you want to verify speaker settings, read all directions before trying the following:

1. Power down* AVR & pull away from the wall
    2. FROM your AVR disconnect the CC & surrounds; power down* your sub then power up*
    3. Set all channels to “Small,” sub XO to 100
    4. Pick a chapter of movie w/a full, bass heavy sound track
    5. turn up slowly to near the “crunch” point you mentioned above
    6. set LR to “Large”;
    7. listen to same movie chapter - should sound fuller
    8. Repeat “3” & “4”
    9. from AVR, disconnect LR; connect CC; repeat “5”
    10. set CC to “Large”
    11. repeat “7”
    12. repeat all the above w/different sub settings - eg 100hz
    13. Restore all connections w/the knowledge you’ve gained

*always power down before moving, disconnecting, or connecting anything to your AVR, sub etc.

5 🆚 7 channels? Unless your space is rather large, I recommend against. Better to do 5 channels well than 7 so-so.

What’s your room square footage & shape? My LCR measure 12’ from prime seating or “hot seat.” Hot seat forward of rear wall less than 3’. I believe 7 channels would overwhelm my space though you’re using much smaller surrounds.

I think you’re short on power on a wholesale level. Between that and the S15’s 88dB sensitivity you may asking for more than they can do. Further I see your AVR does not provide pre-outputs allowing for external power demanding an upgrade either way.

If you replace/upgrade your AVR, look for pre-outs - probably more important than its power rating as AVRs tend to boast more than they deliver. This forum has many happy members using AVRs driving separate amps for their LCRs and in some cases all channels.

😊hope this helps. Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    First, If you bass seems too loud and is overpowering your speakers turn the sub down.

Then get a free dB meter app for your cellphone, get into the receiver menu and set the output to 5.1 and all speakers to small, then find the speaker setup screen with the test tone. Toggle thru all of the speakers and adjust the settings with the dB meter till they are all the same. The actual value is unimportant (that is why you can use a free app). Just get all of the speakers at the same white noise output from your listening position. This will get you close. You might want to do the final fine tuning by ear.

This and the other good suggestions should work.
  • Hi....Getting an SPL meter would be a great thought. It would permit you to set the level of all your speakers L,C,R,RR,LR to the same DB level. You'll moreover utilize it to set the sub; for the most part at the same level as the rest of your speakers or some of DB higher. It would depend on your individual inclination. The meter would be a parcel simpler than attempting to set everything by ear. Attempt perusing a few of the strings with respect to SVS subs there's a parcel of data almost setting subs and check out the their website. They have a page portraying utilizing an SPL meter for setting sub levels. It'll be one of the foremost valuable and cheap pieces of gear for calibration merely can purchase.