Suggestions for modest 4K 5.1 receiver?

Options
agfrost
agfrost Posts: 2,421
My brother-in-law is looking to replace a (relatively antique) Pioneer receiver with one that's more better (and modern).

He's got modest tastes, in-ceiling front L-R and rears, and anything modern will be an upgrade. I'd appreciate input on models and/or brands that are reliable and good on bang-for-buck return.

Thanks for any and all input.
Jay
SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,971
    Options
    https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marnr1609/marantz-nr1609-slim-7.2-ch-x-50-watts-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html

This is all he would need, and offers a LOT for the money. I had an NR1403 in the bedroom setup a few years ago, and it was solid. I will say that the full size Marantzes like @Nightfall listed are a noticeable step-up SQ wise, but with an all in-ceiling setup I don't think he would notice the difference. And the NR is smaller and easier to hide away...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • agfrost
    Options
    Thanks to both of you for giving some reading material. Appreciated!
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    Options
    Either of the suggested Marantz is a solid choice.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• agfrost
    Options
    He's looking hard at the slimline Marantz.
    Jay
  • coolsax
    coolsax Posts: 1,824
    Options
    The slimline marantz's are really nice had one for a while b/c it needed the space. 4 ohm capable if needed.. really good value if you don't need to crank it too loud.
    Main 2ch -
    BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+
    TT - Pro-ject Classic SB with Sumiko Bluepoint.

TV 3.1 system -
    Denon 3500 -> Dynaudio Excite 32/22
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,053
    Options
    Another vote for Marantz. Very happy with mine in my HT.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    I liked Marantz so much, I got 2 of them. Hard to go wrong.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    I agree hard to go wrong with the Marantz. One thing is that darn porthole display. Drove me nuts!

The slim lie doesn't have a porthole :)
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • stevep
    stevep Posts: 328
    Options
    I just wish there was a NR version with full pre-outs instead of the speaker outputs.
  • agfrost
    Options
    He decided to go with the Marantz SR5013. I'm sure he'll love it, but I'll try to remember to post again after he fires it up.
    Jay
  • agfrost
    edited April 2020
    Options
    stevep wrote: »
    I just wish there was a NR version with full pre-outs instead of the speaker outputs.

I looked to see if there was enough room on the back panel for them, and funnily enough, the answer was right there:
    4iw4m4lx3nd2.jpg

Jay
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Options
    I like the the AVENTAGE 1000 series and up. Marantz makes a fantastic AVR, I just prefer the super clean sound those yammies bring.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • stevep
    stevep Posts: 328
    Options
    agfrost wrote: »
    stevep wrote: »

I looked to see if there was enough room on the back panel for them.

I see plenty of room once you get rid of all those red and black connectors and put RCA's or XLR's in that space. :)