Which Sub

Options
VXR8
VXR8 Posts: 291
G'day all,

Quick question, which series of sub is the better - HTS or DSW Pro? Looking at both the 12 inch variants and via the specs the HTS goes deeper.

Thanks in advance.
Regards - Gaz from the land of Oz

Main System
Denon - AVC-4700H
Emotiva - XPA-9
Cambridge Audio - Azur 851C - CXUHD
Polk Audio - Legend L800 - Legend L400 - Legend L900 - LSiM fx - OWM3
SVS - PB1000 x 2
Foxtel - iQ4
Belkin - Pure AV PF40
Sony K77A9G

Front Room System
PS Audio - Sprout 100
Cambridge Audio - CXC S2 - CA752BD
Sony - UBX800 4K BluRay
Polk Audio - Legend L200

Best Answers

• TopperDude
    TopperDude Posts: 166
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Go with the HTS
  • VXR8
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thank you 😊

Main System
    Denon - AVC-4700H
    Emotiva - XPA-9
    SVS - PB1000 x 2
    Foxtel - iQ4
    Belkin - Pure AV PF40
    Sony K77A9G

Front Room System
    PS Audio - Sprout 100
    Sony - UBX800 4K BluRay
    Polk Audio - Legend L200
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    edited April 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    unless you're getting a deal neither. for a few $$$ more get an HSU or SVS
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    mrloren wrote: »

Yep I agree love polk speakers but not the subs. No reason to match brands with the sub. Save a little longer get a MUCH better sub from HSU or SVS or rythmik if you want a really musical sub. Unless they are more than 50% off, skip the polks
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Answer ✓
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Yep I agree love polk speakers but not the subs. No reason to match brands with the sub. Save a little longer get a MUCH better sub from HSU or SVS or rythmik if you want a really musical sub. Unless they are more than 50% off, skip the polks

Second this advice
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Is this for HT or 2 channel music?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Asking the same question as @F1nut
    Because even though I enjoy my SVS SB12-NSDs for music, there are better options out there like Rythmik and REL.
    While HT favors those SVS and Hsu Research products.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • mrloren
    Answer ✓
    Options
    VXR8 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your input - in relation to F1's question (and ZLTFUL), it is for both 2 channel and HT, so looking for a good compromise for both.

All depends on how much you want to spend.

if you're replacing the 505 in your sig then a HSU VTF2 would be a big step up. If budget permits then a SVS SB3000 or VFT3 would be awesome. If you have room and budget 2 subs is better than one.

Thing I like the HSU over the others is being able to plug a port on the fly. I normally keep it 1 port open with the EQ @ 2. I keep it this way 80% of the time. when I really want to listen to an SACD I plug the 4" port, takes 30 seconds or less. When I watch an action movie with nobody home I pull the other plug for 2 ports open and way too much bass.

For the most part 1 port open (4") EQ @ 2 is great for both movies and music.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • rooftop59
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thanks mrloren - yes to upgrading the 505 but HSU not available in Oz. SVS is, up to the PB2000 for $1575 AUD on special (approximately $955 USD), so not sure price wise if that is reasonable or not, as I can get 2 HTS Polks (12 inch) new for $1363 AUD for both ($827 USD).

Thanks in advance and very much appreciate the input.

The SVS will dig deeper and have more output than both polks combined. A second sub only adds about 3 decibels more output and doesn’t change extension (how low it goes). Get the SVS if uyou can afford it and don’t look back!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • ZLTFUL
    Answer ✓
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Thanks mrloren - yes to upgrading the 505 but HSU not available in Oz. SVS is, up to the PB2000 for $1575 AUD on special (approximately $955 USD), so not sure price wise if that is reasonable or not, as I can get 2 HTS Polks (12 inch) new for $1363 AUD for both ($827 USD).

The SVS will dig deeper and have more output than both polks combined. A second sub only adds about 3 decibels more output and doesn’t change extension (how low it goes). Get the SVS if uyou can afford it and don’t look back!

While I agree on the output side of things, I will disagree from the perspective that 2 subs will make it *much* easier to reduce room modes and nulls.

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • ZLTFUL
    Options
    2 subs are better at covering the inherent peaks and valleys that exist in every room in the bass section of the frequency range.

For example, a 40hz tone has a wavelength of around 28ft.
    Most average rooms are smaller than that so the wave will reflect off the first truly solid surface it encounters. Depending on the length/width/height of the room in question, that reflected wave could reach the primary listening position as either a peak (resulting in an overly aggressive or “bloated” bass note) or a null (the lack of bass off you will).

When you use more than one sub, located in disparate locations within the room, you are effectively reducing the chance of a peak or null at the primary listening position.

Room correction will only carry you so far. It can’t change the wavelength of a given bass or sub-bass frequency. It can only add/reduce delay and boost or lower the gain at a given frequency to try and compensate for some of that particular room’s flaws.

In a perfect world, all rooms are perfect 2:1 ratio rectangles and have subwoofers at the mid-point of each of the 4 walls.

Sorry for the Mr. Wizard science lesson but the reproduction of sound is a whole lot of physics.

• rooftop59
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thank you, very happy with the Mr Wizard science lesson and the detailed explanation 🤓.

Just in relation to pricing, is the SVS PB2000 priced well at $955 USD (what price do you pay each for them there)? It would cost me over $3000 AUD for 2 of those, so just trying to make sure pricing after exchange rates are similar.

Well the pb2000 is normally $799 usd and can be had from the outlet store for $699 often. I have a feeling you are paying shipping and import costs?

As for the two polks vs one SVS. On the one hand it’s apples to oranges comparison. The SVS will be louder and deeper and tighter, but the two polks might be smoother and more even within their capabilities. IMHO I find it difficult to purchase two inferior products over one superior product, but it’s impossible to know for sure which is better without trying both in your room, which unfortunately you can’t do.

Just read this thread and I think your decision will be easier: https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/159046/the-first-time-you-heard-a-real-subwoofer-after-owning-an-entry-level-sub
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • mrloren
    Answer ✓
    Options
    One good sub is better than two lessor subs

Two good subs is better than one good sub

Before I had a real sub I had this Sony 12" (equal to the 505) and a Costco $99usd 10". Thought it was great. I went to an audio show it was all over. I purchased a small 10" HSU STF 2, put it in my system and was given a big WOW now that is what a sub should be. I still have that nice little sub in the bedroom system. When someone tells me their budget sub is great I take my little STF2 over and see. I have yet to hear one of these budget subs come close at all.

I've only heard the HTS 12" at a store, not bad but not great. A lot better than a 505. The store (Fry's) had SVS subs at the time, PB2000 is a lot better but also cost a lot more. I did ask if I could bring in my STF2 for a side by side but the manager said no.
  • mrloren
    Answer ✓
    Options
    jumpindick wrote: »
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Because even though I enjoy my SVS SB12-NSDs for music, there are better options out there like Rythmik and REL.

So can I mix and match brands for the subwoofer?

15% of the time yes you can, it will take a lot of manual calibration work.

85% of the time no, I mean it can be as bad as the sounds coming from the restroom of a Tijuana taco shop

Best to stick to the same model of sub when going dual. I had the thought of adding my STF2 to my main system... It went back to the bedroom HT quick.
  • F1nut
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Sorry, quick question re the SVS - ported PB2000 or sealed SB2000 better? The ported goes deeper but just wondering which one is better of the 2 - thanks :)

Sealed

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mrloren
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The SVS 4000 is 2X the cost of a HSU VTF3, so it better sound good sealed or ported.

I agree it's a bummer the OP can't get a HSU down under. Darn good subs for the price.

Thing I like about HSU subs is setup. 4" port open EQ @ 1 Q/C @ .07 run Audyssey. After that run it in any port, EQ and Q seting the user wants,

I think the OP will be real happy with a PB2000, darn good subs that can hit hard and low.

Answers

• VXR8
    Options
    Thank you all for your input - in relation to F1's question (and ZLTFUL), it is for both 2 channel and HT, so looking for a good compromise for both.

Main System
    Denon - AVC-4700H
    Emotiva - XPA-9
    SVS - PB1000 x 2
    Foxtel - iQ4
    Belkin - Pure AV PF40
    Sony K77A9G

Front Room System
    PS Audio - Sprout 100
    Sony - UBX800 4K BluRay
    Polk Audio - Legend L200
  • VXR8
    Options

Main System
    Denon - AVC-4700H
    Emotiva - XPA-9
    SVS - PB1000 x 2
    Foxtel - iQ4
    Belkin - Pure AV PF40
    Sony K77A9G

Front Room System
    PS Audio - Sprout 100
    Sony - UBX800 4K BluRay
    Polk Audio - Legend L200
  • VXR8
    Options
    While I agree on the output side of things, I will disagree from the perspective that 2 subs will make it *much* easier to reduce room modes and nulls.

Sorry, not quite getting the gist of that - are you saying 2 subs are better for room correction or 1?

Main System
    Denon - AVC-4700H
    Emotiva - XPA-9
    SVS - PB1000 x 2
    Foxtel - iQ4
    Belkin - Pure AV PF40
    Sony K77A9G

Front Room System
    PS Audio - Sprout 100
    Sony - UBX800 4K BluRay
    Polk Audio - Legend L200
  • VXR8
    Options
    Thank you, very happy with the Mr Wizard science lesson and the detailed explanation 🤓.

Just in relation to pricing, is the SVS PB2000 priced well at $955 USD (what price do you pay each for them there)? It would cost me over $3000 AUD for 2 of those, so just trying to make sure pricing after exchange rates are similar.

Main System
    Denon - AVC-4700H
    Emotiva - XPA-9
    SVS - PB1000 x 2
    Foxtel - iQ4
    Belkin - Pure AV PF40
    Sony K77A9G

Front Room System
    PS Audio - Sprout 100
    Sony - UBX800 4K BluRay
    Polk Audio - Legend L200
  • jumpindick
    jumpindick Posts: 428
    Options

• F1nut
    Options

No

President of Club Polk

• VXR8
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all of your input and links to other questions in the forum - looks like I’ll go with 1 SVS PB2000 (to start with) which should be a night and day difference from what I’m reading here.

Interesting concept initially on the Polk site when the PSW505 was new re hook up. It advised to use the speaker terminal inputs, tell the AVR no sub and mains to large. I did this back in the day and the sub never sounded better! I’ve never had that sub sounding as good or as ‘blended’ via the LFE input. I’ve also always found reverse phase to give greater depth as well. But I suppose that’s another story for another day 🤓

Main System
    Denon - AVC-4700H
    Emotiva - XPA-9
    SVS - PB1000 x 2
    Foxtel - iQ4
    Belkin - Pure AV PF40
    Sony K77A9G

Front Room System
    PS Audio - Sprout 100
    Sony - UBX800 4K BluRay
    Polk Audio - Legend L200
  • jumpindick
    jumpindick Posts: 428
    Options

15% of the time yes you can, it will take a lot of manual calibration work.

85% of the time no, I mean it can be as bad as the sounds coming from the restroom of a Tijuana taco shop

Best to stick to the same model of sub when going dual. I had the thought of adding my STF2 to my main system... It went back to the bedroom HT quick.

Got it. Thank you. I was hoping that it might be possible. I have two SVS subs (PB2000) in the front of the room and have been wondering if I were to add two more on the back of the room, what difference it would make. Locally, there were a couple of HSU subs up for sale a while back. So thought to ask....
  • VXR8
    Options
    Sorry, quick question re the SVS - ported PB2000 or sealed SB2000 better? The ported goes deeper but just wondering which one is better of the 2 - thanks :)

Main System
    Denon - AVC-4700H
    Emotiva - XPA-9
    SVS - PB1000 x 2
    Foxtel - iQ4
    Belkin - Pure AV PF40
    Sony K77A9G

Front Room System
    PS Audio - Sprout 100
    Sony - UBX800 4K BluRay
    Polk Audio - Legend L200
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options

Call them. Their CS is top notch.
  • rooftop59
    Options

I would definitely go with ported if you are want the best HT experience. If you want the best music experience, go with sealed. You have to decide which is more important to you.

I wish you could get an HSU VTF-2 mk5 down under, because that gives you a taste of both worlds...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    I am using 2 SVS SB4000's for my ht rig... I had (and still have) a PB13 Ultra that I used in the H/T rig. The 2 sealed subs way out perform the single ported which was no surprise and I do not feel that they lack in the lower frequencies... maybe they do, but I seem to feel more and tighter lfe than I did previously. The big ported subs are hard to move around too as they are much bigger than their sealed comparables.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • rooftop59
    Options
    I am using 2 SVS SB4000's for my ht rig... I had (and still have) a PB13 Ultra that I used in the H/T rig. The 2 sealed subs way out perform the single ported which was no surprise and I do not feel that they lack in the lower frequencies... maybe they do, but I seem to feel more and tighter lfe than I did previously. The big ported subs are hard to move around too as they are much bigger than their sealed comparables.

I am a little surprised THB but that’s good info to know. It is perhaps not that useful to the OP if he can only get one sub... but perhaps if he plans to save for a second then it might make sense to get the sealed.
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • F1nut
    Options
    I use the SVS SB4000 in my HT rig. It's more than enough for movies/TV, IMO. When called upon it moves a lot of air, which can be felt, causing stuff on the walls to vibrate, but it doesn't have that boomy overhang a lot of ported subs do. While I don't use that rig for 2 channel music the sub works very well with the occasional concert video.

President of Club Polk