Monitor 10B? Crossover rebuild

I'm wanting to rebuild the crossovers in my monitor 10's. I've been researching to identify the exact model that i have and from my understanding from what I've read, they are 10B's. They are black cabinets with the SL2000 tweeters. I'm wanting to add the RDO-198-1 tweeters and update the crossovers. Any help in identifying the exact model and suggestions in the rebuild would be greatly appreciated.o4k9050vdf2o.jpg
7n0r83fglid6.jpg
q5ndnam4k480.jpg

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited March 2020
    10b

You would need a 10 series 2 or duplicate the xo of series 2 to use the 198
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    edited March 2020
    Rush fan perchance?

@By_Tor
    d7u47mixi48x.png

Welcome to the forum!
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    They are definitely 10Bs. As such, the crossovers (stock) are appropriate to take RD-0194 tweeters, rather than RD-0198, as drop-in replacements for the SL-2000 tweeters. Many around here prefer the 198s over the 194s and the crossovers can be redone, with minor differences, to correctly match with the 198s.

Others (@Westmassguy) around here can give you the info you need for obtaining the proper, correct-valued replacement parts. Also, if you're not adept at soldering and such, Westmassguy offers that service. He has many highly satisfied customers on this forum.
  • By_Tor
    By_Tor Posts: 11
    @JayCee
    Yes. Big Rush fan. Good call. RIP Neil Peart.

Thanks for the welcome. Been following for a while after picking up a pair of monitor 7s a year ago. That's when the fever started and why I'm here. Obviously i have a pair of monitor 10s that i want to upgrade. Eventually the 7s will be done also, if this isn't to big of a job for me.

Seems the 198 are the ones to go with. Since i can't hear them first, i have to trust your honest and experienced opinions.

So yes, im up to trying this. Any help with getting the correct replacement parts, schematics or any advice on the necessary steps to take( reseal enclosures etc.) Is appreciated.

Liking all the help thus far! TIA!
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    By_Tor wrote: »
    @JayCee
    Yes. Big Rush fan. Good call. RIP Neil Peart.

Sad loss w/the passing of Peart. Saw Rush, 1981, in Rüsselsheim, Germany. Was the "Exit Stage Left" tour and right before they made it really BIG w/Moving Pictures. All female rock group named "Girlschool" opened for them. Just looked over the setlist and it was pretty iconic.
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/1981/walter-kobel-halle-russelsheim-germany-bd1edee.html

Also saw "Test for Echo" in Boise, 1997, and they ended the first set w/the entire 2112 album. Continued a second set plus encore. Pretty great, too.
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/1997/bsu-pavilion-boise-id-43d5531b.html

Somewhere on my server I have scans from slides I shot during the Germany concert. Smuggled a 35mm Pentax camera in. Used to "push" ASA400 film to ASA1600 or 3200 and have it specially developed. Pics turned out crappy.

Glad you found your way to the forum. I don't have experience w/your the 7's or 10's but, as you've witnessed above, plenty of folks that do and they'll get you pointed in the right direction.

Cheers,

John
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • By_Tor
    First saw Rush during Signals tour in 1982. Was my first concert ever and the only time i saw them live, unfortunately.
  • pitdogg2
    First saw Rush during Signals tour in 1982. Was my first concert ever and the only time i saw them live, unfortunately.

Mine as well.
  • By_Tor
    Happy Easter!

Hope you are all enjoying this Easter Sunday!

@ teekay0007 thanks for the advice. I have been getting everything needed for this job. Multimeter, soldering station and other needed supplies.
    I do want to use the RD- 0198 tweeters in my rebuild. Hopefully i have the right schematic here. I'm ready to order the tweeters and components needed for this rebuild.
    @westmassguy would appreciate you helping me in getting the components needed and any other suggestions you ave for me.

TIA.
  • joe07062
    joe07062 Posts: 1
    @ By_Tor I came here with the same question as you. I also have 10b's that i would like to upgrade, any info you gather that you can share would be helpful.
    Thanks, Joe
  • By_Tor
    @joe07062 I'm getting around to that. Was going to purchase the 0198 tweeters. Think i have the right information for the xover upgrade.

• By_Tor
    xbfi6f0cif07.jpg
    1cwk1ywjrl6w.jpg
    nd35nwv58eka.jpg
    h6yc3sxsr8by.jpg
    ami1gr5hq7py.jpg

So now i have these. Seller was showing them to a potential buyer. He had the sitting on chairs during the demonstration. Guess what happened next. Yep, one of them fell over. From the pics you can see the damage to the corners and the the ring around the midrange. Worst part is, both 6.5 drivers are frozen from the fall. Also, 3 of the pegs that hold the grill cover are broke

Knowing what the were, i gave him the 75.00 dollars he was asking. Probably could of got them for less. It is what it is and I own them now.

I have read that the drivers can be replaced or repaired. Personally, i would like them repaired. In the future i also want to update the xovers. Not sure what to do about the tweeters. The undamaged speaker sounds really nice.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    @By_Tor. Check with Club Polk member Lawdogg about repairing the 6 1/2" drivers. He was repairing MW 65xx drivers for Polk members, but not sure if he still is. Yous are probably MW 6500 drivers and they can be hard to find. You can glue the cardboard rings back on. As for the Peerless tweeters, as long as they are still working, just keep them. There are only new knock off Chinese replacements or used Peerless tweets from Fleabay.
  • By_Tor
    @Faustin they are the MW 6500 drivers. I'm currently working on a fixture for gluing the magnets back on. Hopefully i can save them. For now i plan on keeping the Peerless tweeters in. When i get around to updating the xovers on my 10B's, i plan on installing the 0198 tweeters and see how they compare to the Peerless.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited May 2020
    @Faustin they are the MW 6500 drivers. I'm currently working on a fixture for gluing the magnets back on. Hopefully i can save them. For now i plan on keeping the Peerless tweeters in. When i get around to updating the xovers on my 10B's, i plan on installing the 0198 tweeters and see how they compare to the Peerless.

The RD0198 is not compatible. Keep the Peerless and know you've got the best tweeter for your speakers
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    F1nut wrote: »

The RD0198 is not compatible. Keep the Peerless and know you've got the best tweeter for your speakers

As F1nut says. Peerless.
  • By_Tor
    xfwka1h58me9.jpg
    m8b336gcsi35.jpg
    qmfg4y5e0yr9.jpg

In the process of regluing the magnets back on the MW 6500. What is recommended to use for regluing? Would JB Weld work? Or just a basic epoxy.
  • By_Tor
    b5nydpuqbjqu.jpg

Also discovered this. Looks like the material separated when the speaker fell over. Is this repairable?
  • pitdogg2
    edited May 2020

No JB weld will not work. Most epoxys are not right either.

It's actually a thin anaerobic type of glue.
  • By_Tor
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Something i can find at a hardware store?
  • By_Tor
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Loctite 680?447unajagcm5.png
  • pitdogg2
    Could be. You need to be careful not to get too much and have it flow into the voice coil.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    Also discovered this. Looks like the material separated when the speaker fell over. Is this repairable?

I have seen members here recommend Aleene's but when you look at their site there are something like 4 varieties to choose from so I'm not sure which one is best:

https://www.aleenes.com/glue-products

Not knowing any better I repaired one of mine with Gel Cyanoacrylate (super glue) from a dollar store lol. Not sure if it was successful or not because the voice coil started rubbing again eventually. Not sure if it was from magnet slippage (unglued magnets) or just the fact that the repair was too stiff on one side of the spider or misaligned or what.

George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • pitdogg2
    original tacky glue
  • lms
    lms Posts: 26
    Did you ever rebuild the crossovers for the black speakers above? I just bought a pair with the exact same looking crossover, sound great, but I know down the road I will want to upgrade them. Also, did you change the tweeters, if so what did you do to the x overs? Thx.