SCAM alert!!

Rick_Hayes
Rick_Hayes Posts: 24
edited March 2020 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
Hey all, Just wanted to give everyone on the forums here a heads up. I had this exact same scam tried on me on a radio control model forum so the minute I saw this scam again here on the Polk forums I recognized it immediately!!

Here's the scan.

You post a wanted ad looking for something in particular (nice set of Monitor 5s) to buy. The scammer reads your ad and then sends you a private message telling you he can help you out!! He knows someone that has EXACTLY what you're looking for in MINT condition and an unbelievable price!! They state that they have dealt with this person before and they are VERY reputable. Then they give you this persons email address, normally a Gmail account, for you to contact and work out the deal. When you contact the sellers email they will work out an amazing deal with you and all you have to do is send them Paypal funds as friends and family and boom....they have your money and you get nothing!! I posted a screenshot of the email for reference.

Hope this helps save someone from having to deal with a scammer!!

If this is a real personal message I received from an actual Polk audio webdev I truly apologize but I'm pretty sure it's a scam!

Rickud7qxy91jvj5.jpg

Comments

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    It sure looks legit, but like anything else you do online, it pays to do your due diligence - especially on sales that seem TGTBT.

Nice of you to look out for us anyway.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/messages/353460#Message_543682
    Yep this Kingsley A hole contacted me on my WTB Center Channel thread what a **** nozzle.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • gudnoyez
    edited March 2020
    Seems like this Elliot guy just happens to have some Monitor 5's and a center channel stand for sale how convenient. Matter of fact the sh.. head was just checking out the PM response a minute ago. Kingsley buddy you been figured out go scam some other site. Regards of the worst kind to Elliot.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

• I got a similar private message about a bluesound node the other day.
    2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Qobuz streamed via Episode Lynk using bubble UPnP server
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    I received the same message but for the MIT cables I am looking for... I ignored it...
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    What's the user name of this scammer?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited March 2020
    @Kingsleyscott17 it appears
    You and big Larry posted simultaneously
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    Posted above Jesse..
  • gudnoyez
    F1nut wrote: »
    Ok, I'm on it. Thanks.

Take him to the cleaners Jesse!!!
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• rburgess714
    rburgess714 Posts: 614
    Same guy messaged me about an A5
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    webdev@polkaudio.com is a legit email address. It's used for all automated messaging from the site, like PMs, for example. It's likely, Rick, that this was a notification of the PM from this person, probably the same person the others mention. Worth a look in your site Inbox, in case the guy has anew account now.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    edited March 2020
    gok35sxxnbkc.png

Well looking at the poster page seems like he just signed early a.m.

So the skeptic in me wonders if he is signing up new for each one.

@Kingsley01
    @kingsley1827
    @Kingsleyscott17
    @kingslayes
  • pitdogg2
    edited March 2020
    x6h6qikh5acr.png

zafx7uk8wqxf.png

vugsrkzox6am.png

Notice how all have no comments might be the same guy.

• Rick_Hayes
    Rick_Hayes Posts: 24
    edited March 2020
    HA!! Must have needed some quick extra cash!! What a POC!! Glad I caught him at his stupid crook game!! B)
  • pitdogg2
    F1nut wrote: »
    Rick, thanks for letting the forum know about this. The scammer has been banned.
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Jesse do we know if these are the same IP?
    The visits are minimal to none after sign up. Most are still active.
  • F1nut
    17 is history. The other 3 haven't been here for 8/9 years.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    Jesse is one of those Jason Bourne type "Assets" that gets activated when there's a scammer alert. He gets a text with the scammer's info...gets activated and POOF...scammer just disappears. Been happening for decades.
    No excuses!
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,374
    I thought there was a rule about 3rd party selling here???
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • F1nut
    I thought there was a rule about 3rd party selling here???

There is, but this is a scammer issue.

President of Club Polk

• NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    Eliot's dead who do we contact now?