RIP Carver...hello Outlaw

Strong BadStrong Bad Posts: 4,251
Yeah, my trusty vintage Carver m1.5t amp has finally gone to Audio Heaven. About 2 months back I noticed a loud buzzing sound coming from the home theater and sure enough, it was the Carver Amp. Back in the late summer I was having some issues where it was clipping and going into protection mode seemingly very easy, too easy in fact. Thats when I figured maybe it wasn't getting enough juice from the single 15amp line that my entire HT was plugged into. Then I splurged for a couple dedicated 20amp outlets, but it had no effect. Fast forward to it's sad demise.

I toyed around with sending it to Carver Audio Repair to have the entire works done to it, but I was looking at over $700 total (shipping back and forth in there) with a 1 yr warranty on it. I shopped around and evaluated a lot of options. The Carver was running into the preamp outs on the HT receiver to power the Polk LSi25's since the receiver can't handle 4ohm loads.

You guessed it, I researched the Outlaw M2200 monoblocks and took advantage of the 3 amp deal for $800. These 3 amps will take care of the LCR in the HT providing more than enough juice in the front soundstage. The receiver will take care of the 4 rear channels.

This made the most sense to me, based on cost, warranty and performance. The carver was powering LR, but now I have external amplification for the center as well as the LSi25's.

As of this writing, the Outlaws should arrive on Monday 3/23.

Cheers!

No excuses!

Comments

• Polkitup2Polkitup2 Posts: 1,590
    That should work great for HT. I had the Outlaw 1070 a while back and it was the best sounding AVR I ever had. I still think of trying an M2200 for my center channel. Let us know how it works out.

• FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 3,852
    So what's to come of the Carver?
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 44,507
    edited March 20
    FestYboy wrote: »

John will probably curl up next to it in bed.
    Post edited by F1nut on
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Strong BadStrong Bad Posts: 4,251
    F1nut wrote: »
    FestYboy wrote: »

John will probably curl up next to it in bed.

Probably? You underestimate me sir! Remove that word from your sentence!

I have no interest in spending the money or time to resurrect the Carver. When the current situation in this country is over (or calmed enough), I may very well gift (for packing and shipping costs only) it to someone on this forum in hopes that they may want to perform some voodoo resurrection spell on it. I know this is nothing new being said, but the Carver is a fantastic amp and quite legendary in the audio world when operating at 100%. It served me very well for a very long time.

I'll chime in when the Outlaws are in place and doing their thing.

No excuses!
  • FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 3,852
    I've been known to practice voodoo every now and again...