Yet another speaker placement question .... with drawings

Jaybeez
Jaybeez Posts: 737
I've been wanting a set of SDAs in my listening space for some time, and am close to pulling the trigger on either 2.3TLs or 3.1s. The only thing holding me back at this point is the limits I have for speaker placement.
The only room I'll be able to put them in is my converted 3rd car garage, which is 18'L x 10' W x 8'H. The room is sound isolated (room within a room, etc.) and as such does triple duty: Drum practice, critical listening and Voice Over recording. At present, all can be accomplished.
The below images are a rough outline of what I'm working with. Everything is pretty much to scale, though weird looking as I can't rotate the images for proper position, but the chair represents the listening position, the turntable the gear rack, and obviously the speakers.
Option A is my current set up, with my Monitor 7s flanking the gear rack, and a listening position about 8 feet away. Ideally, I'd simply replace the 7s with the SDAs and be done with it. HOWEVER, adjacent to the right speaker is a sound curtain (to deaden the VO space) which needs to remain. I'm assuming this would negate the SDA effect for that speaker and thus be bad placement. Also, the SDAs would only be about 3 - 4 feet apart from each other.
Option B would have the SDAs with their backs to the sound curtain, placed about 4 - 5 feet apart, which would put them 2-3 feet from the side walls. I'd need to leave the gear rack at or just left of current position as putting between the SDAs would block entrance to the VO recording space.
So the question is would either of these set ups work at all to capture the "magic" of the SDAs? Option A provides a hard wall behind both speakers, but a "soft wall" very close to the side of the right speaker. Option B provides hard walls to the side of both speakers but a "soft wall" behind both.
If neither option works, I may just need to focus on mods to the Monitor 7s and leave my SDA dreams for a time when (if) I get a larger indoor space to work with.
All opinions are welcome.

atztxyb6u70b.gif

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    edited March 2020
    IMHO, that's way too much speaker for the room size. Your M7's or M10's would be ideal. though SDA 2b's would probably work if you were to put your components between them to avoid weird reflections on the left side and placed about 18" to 24" from the side walls. I'd also highly recommend if this is done to install sound treatments to the side walls as well. Probably between the door and window on the right side and where the component rack currently is on the left.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    audioluvr wrote: »
    IMHO, that's way too much speaker for the room size. Your M7's or M10's would be ideal. though SDA 2b's would probably work if you were to put your components between them to avoid weird reflections on the left side and placed about 18" to 24" from the side walls. I'd also highly recommend if this is done to install sound treatments to the side walls as well. Probably between the door and window on the right side and where the component rack currently is on the left.

Thanks for the feedback, that's what I was afraid of. There are broadband panels on both long walls, and the short wall in back. 2" panels with rockwool, plus several in the VO space and the Audimute blankets spanning the width. I may just stick with my M7s for now. Had 10s a while back and didn't like them as much. I find the 7s to be more focused for most of the music I listen to, with the 10s slightly better on jazz and classical. At least that's what my ears tell me. Appreciate the feedback.