Psw 1200

Options
hoosier21
hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
It seems as soon as I heard about this subwoofer it was being closed out, so ther is not much to find on the net about it.

I found one on local dealers floor (well he told me over the phone he has one) and it is at a good price.

Does anyone have one, how is it, how does it compare with other subs out there.

I do know this, dual 12" side firing 350 watt amp big cabinet black

Thanks
Dodd - Battery Preamp
Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
Outlaw ICBM - crossover
Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2002
    Options
    One word: AWESOME your not going to find a better Polk Sub. I have no complaints with mine. The thing is absolutly massive. The close out price of these barely paid for the woofers. Polk use to have a whole page dedicated to it. It retailed for over a grand. Before it got reviewed or got reconized they quickly discontinued it. Not enough demand or $ from Polk customers i think was the reason given. Deep bass and strong power.It performs well with music but especially with movies. I am big on bass and it satified me.
    Good Luck finding a new one now. :D
  • hoosier21
    edited January 2002
    Options
    I was knew it was the biggest POLK ever made, but do you have any insight how it might compare with other mfg. subs?

What is the lowest fq responce Polk published for this sub? did it reach down to 20hz?

This is a new one from a dealer, hard to believe.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited January 2002
    Options
    I've got a PSW1200. I got one of the last ones Crutchfield had, not quite a year ago for $700, including shipping.

I'm very happy with it but, to be fair, I've never owned another GOOD sub. It's a HUGE (literally) improvement over the AR sub that I had previously.

Specs from my manual:

2-12" woofers
    230 Watts continuous average into 8 Ohms, @1%THD, 30-120Hz
    350 Watts dynamic power
    90db/1M/1W acoustic efficiency
    Calculated maximum output 115 db
    Freq Response 20-140Hz overall, 22-125Hz +/- 3db
    Adjustable 40-120Hz low pass crossover
    Switchable 40Hz or 80Hz 12db/octave high pass filter on the line outs, speaker level outs can be set for 40 or 80Hz high pass or full range
    Variable 0-180 degree phase control
    Weight 110 lbs. :eek:
    26.5"H x 18.75W x 23.75D :eek: :eek:

This sub blends/works very well with my system. I'm using a Denon 3801 and RT800i fronts. I do more stereo music than movies, and the PSW1200 seems quite musical to me, especially for such a large sub. The biggest negative to me is really its size.

Jason
  • hoosier21
    edited January 2002
    Options
    Thanks Scott and Jason, I will have to go check it out.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

• jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited January 2002
    Options
    Post back with your opinions when you get time. I'm interested to see what others think of it. I bought it without knowing much about it, mainly because I thought the price was right. Like I said, though, I've been very happy with it.

Jason
  • jim v.
    jim v. Posts: 25
    edited January 2002
    Options
    I purchased my psw1200 back in the fall of 1999, if your planning on getting there's a few things you should know 1. the physical presence of it is huge, I also use mine as an end table the thing weighs 120 pds and is awkward to get a hold of, two people should do fine one person well I hope you have a good strong back because you'll be looking for treatment.If you have the room size to accomodated then you'll not be disappointed with the amount of bass extension available, it retailed at the time for around 800 dollars u.s, if you can carry it buy it.
  • m-rorem
    m-rorem Posts: 58
    edited January 2002
    Options
    Just upgraded from a PSW650 to the PSW1200, both are excellent subs, but I find that the PSW1200 mates better with my RT2000i's since it can produce lower bass with less effort!

Highly recommended!

Thanks
  • m-rorem
    m-rorem Posts: 58
    edited January 2002
    Options
    One more comment on the PSW1200 subject:

You may want to consider what speakers you are using this sub with, as it probably won't preform as well at higher bass frequencies when compared with the PSW650 due to the size of the drivers. I have mine LPF at about 40hz for music and it sounds awesome with my RT2000i's.

Thanks again
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2002
    Options
    it looked cool but you cant buld the sub into the wall and that is waht i was looking for so i got a velodyne ct 120 it is just a litle beter than the polk subs i love my polks but i just dont care for there subs and i got mine real cheap but i was thinking of up gradeing i was looking and found this BAG END INFRA-18 18 inch and goes to 8 hz has any one ever seen this sub or herd it?