Should I raise SDA2B off the ground 12 inches?

I've seen discussion here in the past about raising these off the ground for improved performance. 12 inches would put these at ear level for me. I could build solid boxes 11x16x12. If this is something you guys agree with, would I spike these speakers on the box? Fill the box with sound dampening material? Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.
Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3 TL
Polk Audio SDA 2B TL mod
Carver M 1.0 MK2 Opt 2 x2
Carver CT Seven Preamp
Bluesound Node 2i

Comments

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    edited February 2020
    Concrete blocks are available in different sizes and could be used to temporarily support the speakers at the height you want so that you can live with it for a week or so and see how they sound before committing to building a permanent stand. You may want to put that cushiony shelf/drawer liner material between the speaker and the blocks and maybe between the blocks also.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Believe it or not I once use a pair of 18" speaker stands spiked of course to raise my SDA 2a up. The stand base itself set right inside the speaker riser it fit perfectly. It worked great.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    What are you sitting on that raising them up 12" puts the tweeters at ear level; or are you normally listening while standing up?
    You could also try using wood shims under the front to angle the speaker up slightly.

I look at it this way, they were designed the way they were for a reason, but who knows, maybe it's something I'll consider trying with my 2Bs some day.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    I have to ask as well, what are you sitting on that requires a 12 inch lift? A 2 to 2.5 inch tall set of spikes should get the tweeter in the 38 to 40 inch high range, which is the normal ear height for most sitting in an 18 inch high seat.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    You look like Danny Davito, but are you like a giant or something?