mmc650 Custom kick or door mount?

coldrealms
coldrealms Posts: 46
edited May 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Im trying to figure out if it would improve SQ for these speakers to be in thier own "box" as compared to just plopping them into the front door mounts. Also if a box is prefered should it be sealed or ported?
I have 1 pair of these right now (might get a mm6 set to go along with them later) and a pair of MM12's. I'm looking to improve the midbass range where it feels that my setup is lacking. If a "box" won't help what would you all suggest?

-phil
Post edited by coldrealms on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2004
    do you have any sound deadening in your door?
    if not, go to www.secondskinaudio.com and pick up some
    that alone will help your bass response
    either way...a 6" speaker is still a 6" speaker...theyre not going to put out much bass no matter how you look at it
    a box would help, but it might be more hassle than its worth
    im not sure what the size would be though...it would have to be very small
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2004
    Agreed. An enclosure will make it sound a bit better but you wont necessarily get more bass out of em.

It will however help keep them from distorting while playing bass frequencies.

Id go with Codys advice and put as much dampening material in your doors and door skins as possible. This will help out tremedously.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • coldrealms
    edited May 2004
    Thanks for the fast responces all.
    I was looking into proofing the doors anyway as some of the rattle is horrible, the box idea might still be the way i end up going as it does distort when playign anything with lots of bass...then again the crap amp i am running doesn't have a variable cutoff for it's HPF so a better amp might do the trick. (any thoughts on the sq of running them BI-amped using the c400 amp? is it worth it?)
    Anyways what then would you suggest to strengthen the mid-bass in my car? It's a 98 saturn 4 door, currently i have the rear mount speakers empty as the 2 mm12's were moving too much air out of my trunk through those holes (and there by **** up any speakers i put in there. Im not opposed to any amount of "modding" the interior of my car as long as it 1)Looks good and 2) Sounds even better.

Thanks again
    -phil
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2004
    you dont need rear speakers, most SQ competitors dont use them
    the first thing i would do is email Ant at secondskin, tell him you found out about his merchandise through the car audio forums
    hell give you a nice discount:)
    since you already plan on doing it and you already have rattles, id get it out of the way...youd be surprised how much good dampening can help with your mid-bass
    does your head unit have any crossover capabilities?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • coldrealms
    edited May 2004
    My HU is an older model Kenwood excelon kcdps-909 Nice deck and all but was the last model before built-in x-overs :mad: . It has 8v preouts and a NF output control for the sub, but no x-over.
    I tore my doors apart today just cause and while i was in there I decided to carve out the section that covered the speaker so I could use the Cool MOMO grills, turns out the moron installers that set them up had them about 10% of the speaker area covered by solid door panals.....huge difference in SQ.
    I will email ANT when i get paid and order some of the rattlepad and dampifier for the doors and my trunk / rear panel. I can see how to put on the proofing on the doors between the inner panel and the door frame, don't see how i would get any on the back of the door past the window but then again don't know if i should even be doing anything that deep. I suppose i could get some on in small sections and strips throgh the holes in the frame hrm....I'll ask ANT about it.

Thanks Everyone
    -Phil