Had another audio brainstorm today !

Options
For the longest time, I've had my 10" SVS sub sitting on the bottom shelf of a baker's rack that fits into an alcove in my living room.
That said alcove has always caused a bit of boominess in my system and in spite of my home made bass traps and hanging rear curtains and such which tamed it a bit, I was never quite satisfied...............that is until today.
I was at Home Depot with a buddy earlier and noticed a roll of heavy felt with a foam rubber backing to it, which gave me an idea.
I took the material and measured out the rectangular shelf area, both above and below the sub and cut a couple of pices to fit.
I then cut a long single piece that would wrap around both sides and the back of the rack.
Using a leather punch, I then made a series of holes to thread zip ties through and proceeded to wrap the whole lower shelf.
I now had a heavy felt lined cubby hole to set the sub into.
The results were awesome !
I've never heard bass as tight as what I have now and the rubber backing silenced the top and lower shelf from ringing.
The war between my speakers and my sub has ended........................

Comments

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    Very cool. A little DIY to a space you know well yielded great results. Great feeling. B)
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,602
    Options
    Got any photos of the material or a link?
  • Polkaguy58
    Polkaguy58 Posts: 352
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »

Sorry for the delay, but here they are.
    It's just a felt box to help absorb excess boom from the sub and it worked quite well.
    My KEF/CTS full range speaker sit on either side of the sub when not in use, but I removed them so you could see better.

1pzqe741f7lh.jpg
    vjhzn978yjg7.jpg

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,602
    Options
    I understand now, thank you for the photos!
  • Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 904
    Options
    Polkaguy58 wrote: »
    Clipdat wrote: »

Sorry for the delay, but here they are.
    It's just a felt box to help absorb excess boom from the sub and it worked quite well.

1pzqe741f7lh.jpg

Looks like a rubber backed felt rug pad.